Home Sports Talk
Options

Top 10 Dunkers of All Time

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sportcenter had this topic on their Top Ten the other night. I can't remember all of them in order. I did not agree with many of their picks due to the fact that they gave the old timers so much credit. They had - 1 Michael Jordan and 2 Julius Erving. I can't believe Connie Hawkins was on the list - and AHEAD of Kobe Bryant. Hawkins was good for his day, but Kobe can flat dunk. I could not believe some of the dunks that they showed.

My top ten list will take into consideration game dunking AND contest dunking (if applicable). For instance MJ was a great game dunker AND a great contest dunker. Therefore, he is my number 1. Here is my list.

1. Michael Jordan (the greatest ever)
2. Vince Carter (if you have any questions, watch the 2000 Slam Dunk Contest. it will answer all questions.)
3. Kobe Bryant (great in his only contest, even better in a game)
4. Julius Erving (the daddy of dunkers)
5. Dominique Wilkins (hard to believe he is down to number 5. great in contests and games)
6. Lebron James (no contests, but is awesome in games. will go higher on the list the longer he plays)
7. Shawn Kemp (powerful with a little flair)
8. Spud Webb (5'7" and won in 86. Enough for me.)
9. Clyde Drexler (pretty average in contests, but great in games)
10. David Thompson (never saw him play, but in highlights, the man could get up.)

Honorable mention: Darryl Dawkins, Connie Hawkins, Lew Alcindor (they banned dunking because of him in college), Larry Nance.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I don't think I could come up with 10, but when I read the topic, first two guys I thought of were Dominique Wilkins and Dr. J.

Add Jordan to those guys - everyone else is a notch below.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Dr. J was incredible to see dunk. The afro was cool too.

Vince Carter amazes me too. He doesn't "look" like a dunker but he does crazy things in the air.

And Michael Jordan, well, what can you say. I'm just glad that I was alive to see him play. I feel bad for future generations who won't appriciate his greatness.

Lebron is geering up to challenge MJ for his throne. By the time he's done, he might hold several records.

Also, I have to say that for as much crap as Shawn Kemp has gotten through the years, he was a monster dunker and a great player in his prime. I've always been a quasi-fan of his even though the rest of the planet hates him. It's good to see him recognized.
  • Options
    I would put Dominique ahead of everyone else - including Jordan and I was a huge Bulls fan when Jordan was around. But to do the windmill in a crowded red zone so effortlessly in a regular game is true skill. Jordan never really showboated as much - esp. in his later years.

Dr. J. has to be there as well from what I have seen on highlights as he was pretty much before my time.

Spud Webb was always a blast to watch!!

Lebron is also a blast to watch on the court.

And don't forget the white boy - Tom Chambers. Man was he fun to watch in the contests

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    Love this pic

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    This has got to be one of the best dunk photos ever, though:

Can you say OWNED??!!

• Options

<< <i>Love this pic

image >>

The didn't call him the human highlight reel for nothing - the man had style, and skills!
  • Options
    Dominque Wilkins without a doubt would be number 1... best game dunker ever
    -- Remember, don't do drugs, have unprotected sex, or kill anyone...leave that stuff to me.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are some pictures for your enjoyment.

Shane

• Options
    Darryl 'Chocolate Thunder' Dawkins

His dunks changed the game's momentum...literally.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options

I don't know about the other 9 but this guy has to be #1

Oops.... you said dunkers not dunkards. LOL
  • Options
    Dunking is too common place today - simply due to skills, size and the advancement of athletic talent. So, I offer up my list of masters of the skill who invented it.

Julius Erving - Dr. J introduced dunking as a primary offensive weapon. He invented the "art".

Connie Hawkins - precursor to Dr. J. But, no shot 10 feet out.

Elgin Baylor - dunking was in his arsenal, but could score within the lanes or outside better than Hawkins.

Michael Jordan - most fabulous exhibitions of dunking, but did it all.

Dominique Wilkens - a Jordan imitator. Nice dunks.

Charles Barkley - the guy is only 6'5" but stuffed in the face of guys inside who were 7 foot or better. Best power dunker ever.

Wilt Chamberlain - this dude invented dunking to the point that rules of the game were changed. That's why he scored 100 points in a game. But oddly enough, versus a Shaq of today, he strove to not take advantage of his size and wanted proove he was an all around player. He won an assists title. He could have stood under the basket and dunked his way to an 80 point per game average if he wanted to.

Bill Russell - 11 championships - the dunk was in his arsenal as it should be.

Artis Gilmore - dunked his way through the ABA and the NBA. Very hard to stop for any big man.

Regards

"A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

ttt

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Who was the guy that always shattered the backboard? Darryl Dawkins?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I remember Gus Johnson ripping the rim off of the backboard playing for the Baltimore Bullets long before shattering backboards became the norm..........
  • Options
    Yes, Chocolate Thunder !!!!
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Subjective of course, DR. J was the first to really popularize it, Dominique probably had the most flair, Wilt would have to be the hardest to prevent dunking, and many were specatular to watch.

Someone mentioned David Thompson, his dunking against a much larger superstar, Bill Walton in either the championship or semi-final NCAA game a few years back was absolutely the greatest game perfomance of dunking I ever saw. On one play his hip seemed to hit the backboard, he was so elevated. An overall great UCLA team was simply manhandled by Thompson's ability to dunk on all-american center, future Pro hall 0f famer Walton.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    David Thompson would have been next on my list. I recall him being nicknamed "Skywalker". The guy was 6'3" and vaulted around like much bigger guys. Top ten. Too bad he burned out early.

Yes - Dawkins was "Chocolate Thunder" - but one dimensional. A flash in the pan. Broke a backboard. No real skills. Brute force.

Gus Johnson was a dunker with skills ala a Hawkins. Yet, not as good as Connie or other top ten guys.

Walton - no. Yeah he dunked, but no art to it. Big guy. Lew?

Best Regards

• Options
    david thompson was the originator of the windmill jam. not many can do it...you have to have hops and a long wing span. steve francis tried doing it a few years ago....didnt even get off the ground.

jordan, kobe, wilkins, carter, dr j. after that, theres a marked dropoff.

brent barry for the best white dunker.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes - Dawkins was "Chocolate Thunder" - but one dimensional. A flash in the pan. Broke a backboard. No real skills. Brute force. >>

Yes, but wasn't he entertaining though? I remember him having "names" for his dunks, most of which made no sense, but certainly made you laugh.

<< <i>During his 15-year tenure in the NBA, Dawkins' signature move was bulldozing to the basket and smashing the Plexiglas backboard to smithereens. He was brash, outlandish, funny, and irresistible. He called himself "Chocolate Thunder," claimed to be from the planet Lovetron, and devised names for his more awesome dunks — among the most noteworthy were In Your Face Disgrace, Cover Yo Damn Head, Sexophonic Turbo Delight, and his classic If You Ain't Groovin' Best Get Movin'-Chocolate Thunder Flyin'-Robinzine Cryin'-Teeth Shakin'-Glass Breakin'-Rump Roastin'-Bun Toastin'-Glass Still Flyin' Wham-Bam-I-Am Jam!
    >>

• Options
    ctsoxfan - yes ....Double D's was entertaining and briefly effective. Too bad he could not do anything else except dunking.

• Options
    Would say Jordan owes more than he probably cares to admit to Dr. J...I was still pretty young in the 70s, but would have to say David Thompson is best ever....and he never did much in NBA, but how about Jerome Lane (Univ. of Pitt)???
    "Going to bed with a woman never hurt a ballplayer.It's staying up all night looking for them that does you in." - Casey Stengel
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    whoever this guy is wins the my vote.....looks like the aquaman underoos i wore when i was 6.......ok ok...i still wear em.

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Not the best but the clearance from feet to floor:

imageimage

Stingray