Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ever just sit back and enjoy what you have?

Today I looked at my 61 topps set. I spent 2 hours looking at each card. Flipping page after page brought me back to 1961...........

Everyone should sit back and enjoy what they have once in a while. I try to do this at least 2x a month. Anyone else do this? or does the stuff just accumalate in a closet while you await the next mail delivery?

Steve
Good for you.

Comments

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right on the money Steve!!!!

In Step 2 of my 8.5 Step Program I had to admit that I was OCD - the "hunt" is greater than the "prize" - and realize that the stuff can accumulate faster than I can consume it!

That's why I'm working on organizing and cataloging my stuff.

Congratulations on reaching Step 8.5!!! - Enjoying what you ALREADY have!

mike
    Mike
  • I think about that as well and wonder sometimes if I am enjoying it as much as I should. If you ever check out my cards in the set registry you will see I add some info for each player that has to do with that season. I enjoy doing the research and writing a paragraph or two about the highlights for that player. I always hope that others might read it and learn something they didn't know about a certain player.
    I think once I get a certain set done I will pull them out and enjoy the effort that was put into completing it.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am always going through new raw I accumulate and compare them with my slabbed specimens in case of an obvious upgrade. This by default forces me to eyeball my cards all the time or at least semi often!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    At least twice a week I stand in front of my little ikea display cabnet to admire everything.. take cards out, read the backs.. move things around. Looking at the autographed stuff I got in person brings back memories of the day I got them.
  • very good point

I started accumulating 71 Greatest Moments and never really took the time to look at each card.

I just try and get more that I don't have, barely being able to keep track of which cards I do/don't have.

Time to stop and smell the roses fellas.

<< <i>At least twice a week I stand in front of my little ikea display cabnet to admire everything.. take cards out, read the backs.. move things around. Looking at the autographed stuff I got in person brings back memories of the day I got them. >>

Good one Knucks

Sometimes the memory is bigger than item too!

I've been looking for this one card...it's a 92F Rookie Sensation insert of Leius...it was the first one my son pulled...we drove 90 miles to Ft. Jackson...the px lady saved me a box of cellos...at retail, it was a steal - they were going for 2-4X retail...

He couldn't wait to get home...he opens a few...the first gem to pop up...he went absolutely ballistic!!!!!
    I think the key was Thomas - now the entire set goes for less than a song!

But that memory will last forever! Priceless.

mike
    Mike
  • "You may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting. This is not logical, but it is often true." - Mr. Spock, Star Trek
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭
    I have no organazation! I have stuff buried in boxes, drawers and in the basement. I usually look at the stuff I am collecing at the time, right now its Ken Griffey Jr. and some 1976 Topps. Reading Mikes signature (and I remember the thread and it was funny) made me think of this THREAD that if you saw the picture carew4me did you would have urinated all over yourself?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    John

All I see is a box with a red X?

mike
    Mike
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭
    Mike
    I know I wished it was still there? Whenever I need a laugh I read that thread!
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    I'm actually doing this as we speak (or type I should say). That's what is so great about collecting... Spending time enjoying your collection!image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭
    I do this with my memoribilia. The cards, except for a few, are boxed and in the closet. Twice a year I yank them out, look 'em over, and decide if I should send some in for grading. I'm not an active buyer of new issues.

I actively engaged in hunting down every memoriblia article and autograph that I have. Looking at this stuff brings back the thrill of the hunt and the memory of the day I got it or met the athelete - DiMaggio, Williams, Mantle, Musial, Mays, Aaron, Koufax, Feller, Berra, Larson, Kiner, Colavito, Banks, Rose, Morgan, Seaver, Ryan, Clemens....etc.........I stroll around the house once a month and check all this stuff out.

Proud of my 16x20 autographed and framed collection - all signed in person. Not big on modern - I'm stuck in the past!
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I was going through my 54 Bowman baseball set today, And it triggered my memory as to where i purchased some of them at different National shows and alot from Mike Wheat Cards a few years ago. I also went through an school box of stuff from my childhood and found a slip going to my parents that Milk would be provided daily @ .09 each for the 1/2 pint. This included the straw and paying someone to do the bookkeeping....
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Steve - well done! You make a great point, one that often we forget about. I went through a crazy accumulation phase the last two years or so, and the only time I actually looked at some of my favorite cards was when I reviewed my spreadsheet of graded cards! No more though, I want to be able to look through my actual collection anytime easily - maybe the answer is to reduce it to a few Roop boxes or so...
  • Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    mike, as you catalogue your stuff are you recording the price or book value of somet of the stuff you can??? it would be interesting to hear the dollar value...and see if its what you thought.

loth

<< <i>mike, as you catalogue your stuff are you recording the price or book value of somet of the stuff you can??? it would be interesting to hear the dollar value...and see if its what you thought.

loth >>

Ryan

That will be very hard to do.

I will have an estimate on modern cards I guess - total card i.e.

The memorabilia will be listed with approx. values - I'm thinking about sending the autos for authen.

Over 20 yrs. of collecting - that's a lot of crap!

mike
    Mike
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Over 20 yrs. of collecting - that's a lot of crap!

mike >>

Mike, congrats on your 20 years of crap! This is what we do! With smiles all around image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    To answer the original question, yes, that's what I've been doing the past 3 months. After a lot of buying and selling last year, I took a winter break where I did nothing with my collection except to stare at my displays on the wall. I think sometime in the next month, I'll start up again now that baseball is around the corner. I'll get back to posting more stuff here, including attempting to do a long write up on my completed 61 All-Stars set.
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    I do, I do! But at the moment, I must admit, I'm engrossed in getting more '65 Topps.
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    I will very soon, I hope. I have about 300 modern cards left to submit before I can do that.

Once I am able to get all the modern junk graded I picked up last year, I will stop and smell the roses.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once a month I pull out a about 30 different graded cards and neatly spread them out on the coffee table and take a few digital pictures of them. I then put the pic on my computer as wallpaper. I change the wallpaper about 5 times that month and do the same again the next month. i can see my cards every day and dont have to pull open the Roop boxes as often. I've always said the only people that don't appreciate the cards are the owners of the cards. I have meer scraps compared to most collectors on this site but everyone that I show my collection to is utterly blown away. but we as collectors always want more or better. Go figure.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I got a couple new boxes and boxed up my 1975 set last night. It's been sitting in 7 ever-growing stacks on a shelf in my closet for the last 4 years almost, so it was the first time in a long time I actually looked at them. I had a lot of flashbacks to my childhood with those so-familiar images. Like the Duffy Dyer one, his big broad face and open mouth, I always had a very clear and distinct of what his voice sounded like (cartoony, nothing like his real voice I'm sure, but like reading a book you give characters voices, and his is pretty funny). I could see Bert Blyleven popping his pink bubblegum for the 1000th time. Reading the comics and stats on the back. All those others, wondering where all those guys are today.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    I have been a baseball card junkie since 1959 non stop.I love to just browse through my collection when ever time allows and study the card and read the backs to me its the best therapy to my stressful occupation.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • I've had a heck of a good time going through my "shtuff" as of late. I've finally gotten all the large (printer paper) boxes in one room. They've been sitting in storage in various closets, under our bed's headboard (in large, dusty plastic bags) and some from out in the garage. Organizing all the odds and ends has been fun: the sets and doubles stored in dozens of the white 500- and 800-count boxes; unopened factory sets; unopened packs (sports and non-sports) from different time periods; magazines with my heroes on or in them; collapsed cereal boxes with unopened sports posters in them; magazine ads with various sports stars; etc. etc. When I open up any unlabeled white storage boxes, I'm amazed at the amount of neat things, and sometimes worthless crap, that pops out. I've accumulated most of this stuff since 1981 -- to go along with the stuff I collected in the '60s as a kid. I might be able to give Stone a run for his money in who's the biggest "pack" rat!

It's definitely a fun, nostalgic time when I stop to appreciate what I have.

Now to start displaying, and really enjoying, the stuff in a room I can finally call my own. I like the idea of taking pictures and using it as computer wallpaper at work! I'll have to try that.

Thanks for asking, Steve...

hh
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Everyone should enjoy what they already have once in a while.

Steve
    Good for you.