Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anybody deal with higbees on Ebay? - Updated

I won an 85 Nolan Ryan, graded BCCG 10. I figured I would check it out and maybe crack it and send in to PSA. The problem is, the centering top to bottom isn't that good. When I went back to the auction to see what I had missed, I noticed that the serial # is different than the one sent to me. I've sent him an email to try and get the one that I won - we'll see what he says.

Anyone have any good/bad experiences with this seller?

Thanks.
<< image >>

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Mucky

How can you tell? with that scan the seller provided?

Steve

edit to add: and you left him a positive?

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Mucky

How can you tell? with that scan the seller provided?

Steve

edit to add: and you left him a positive? >>

because this is the card he sent - Ebay item # 8756123916. That serial number is more clear and is different than the one I won.

about the positive - I did not notice the serial # difference until today. image
    << image >>
  • Options
    K, I was just wondering, sounds like a bait and switch. he did not get what he wanted for it perhaps, and sent you an inferior one. Sorry that happened to you.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I haven't dealt with them on ebay but I did buy my near complete set of 1959 Bell Brand Rams (raw) from their website. It was adverised as NRMT, so naturally I was a little leary. Luckily I got a good enough price even if they turned out to be in the EX-MT range. The majority came back from PSA as PSA 7, with some 6's, a 5, and 9 - 8's. I was very happy. They were very nice on the phone and had no problems sending me a few scans of the cards, since there weren't any posted on the website.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I think you have to read the fine print with Higbees, they might have more than one of the same item available and it might be stated in there auction?? I know that if you go to their website, they have multiple of the same item for sale. Not sure if they do that on their auctions.

Stingray
  • Options
    The auction that Mucky won made no mention of that Kirk.

The seller was vague though by stating that:

You are bidding on a 1985 bla bla bla.

never saying that he was showing an example. he also never said you would receive the one pictured either.

now do not get me wrong but if you show a picture of an item is it not a reasonable expectation that you receive the one pictured?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Higbee has been around since the mid to late eighties. Him and myself did a lot of the same shows in the late 80's and I always liked him. You will not get an overwhelming love or respect for him like you would Mark or Steve, but overall I think he is fine. Then again, you can probably count the dealers on one hand that have a love fest type of following.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    I have bought only unopened boxes from him,no problem with them.Seems to be ok,been around a long time.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys. We're not talking about much $ or a great card. Just like to get what I see - why post a scan of something you're not selling? I sent him an email and we'll see what he says. If it was an honest mistake, fine. If he defends himself on posting a scan of a "similiar" card to what he's really selling, then I won't do business with him again. It's good to learn your lessons cheap.
    << image >>
  • Options
    Well, I have to post the follow-up. This guy really came through - and all the more to admire since it was only a $.99 card.

Here was his first response to my email:

<< <i>I am sorry about that, I will let you know monday if I still have the
    card or if it was mailed to the other winner, WE WILL WORK THIS OUT >>

and i received this email today:

<< <i>ok I found the card I will ship it out sorry for the mix up >>

Final grade: a 10! This guy can be trusted!
    << image >>
  • Options
    I bought some 76-77 BK Tall Boys from him and had no problems. I hope everything works out for you! image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a 82TT set from him back in the early 90s - very nice guy and accomodating.

mike
    Mike