Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

89/90 fleer bkb

i was looking at an 89/90 fleer psa 10 on ebay. the card has visible traces of the red bleeding thru yet it still managed a psa 10. i emailed the seller and the seller agreed there was bleeding thru. is this something psa accepts (similar to rough cuts)? who would you contact at psa regarding this or is this just a judgement call on the grader? i have some nice 89/90 fleer with this exact flaw (or is it)?

your thoughts???

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Comments

• Options
    If you mean along the top border then yes they seem to let this problem slide. I have two 10's from that set and they both have it at the top border. I need Bucks cards in 9's and 10's so please submit them if you have them! image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have ya got a scan of a card?

And BTW, Fleer really let the presses run that year!!!

I don't like the looks of a card where the ink is bleeding thru - I'm in the process of organizing my loose crap - will have to look at some of those cards. One think I remember - finding a centered Jordan was a real chore!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you mean along the top border then yes they seem to let this problem slide. I have two 10's from that set and they both have it at the top border. I need Bucks cards in 9's and 10's so please submit them if you have them! image >>

Brian

If you are looking for any cards to submit - LMK which ones - when I find these suckers, I'll be glad to send you the best ones for you to chose from - those are the cards I have ready to burn when the heater goes out! image

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    bwf,
    i have plenty of the BUCKS in MINT and GEM condition. i've been not submitting due to the red ink.

stone,
    i'll try to scan some tonite. don't hold me to it if my wife and kids have other plans for me. it's supposed to snow 3-5" here (nashville) and i'd rather be outside going nuts with the family...wahooo

i would just hate to submit 50+ cards with the red ink bleeding and they come back less than a 9 or 10. maybe i need to do 2-3 for now and see how it goes.

btw, i just picked up a rack box of these from BBCE and all packs have the red bleeding thru and NO JORDAN STICKERS in the racks. haven't opened any yet but the stickers show. what are the odds of no jordan sticker from 24 rack packs? i should average 2 per box, right (11 in the set)?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    I recently ripped a box from BBCE and got five Jordan stickers I believe. The one I submitted pulled a 9.
    Below is what I need to finish my team set so if you submit keep me in mind. So far I have a Paul Pressey in a 9 and Jack Sikma/Jay Humphries in 10's.

#85-Greg Anderson
    #87-Larry Krystkowiak
    #88-Ricky Pierce
    #90-Alvin Robertson
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    I bought 5 wax boxes and 4 rack boxes back in late 2004...I was able to put together only TWO centered sets....TWO....I gave one to milbroco for helping out with my 84 topps football set. THIS SET is freaking ridiculous to get in MINT shape CENTERED...its UNREAL....THE AMOUNT OF OC CARDS I PULLED WAS SICKENING!!!!!

......but i got what i believe is 168 MINT to GEM MINT CENTERED cards ill be sending into psa....one day....

loth
  • Options
    Well not many of these have been graded and in months of looking I have only won three off of Ebay. I know part of it is because this set doesn't rank up there with the first three Fleer sets but it's also because of poor quality control.
    Let's start grading boys! image
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I opened 3 boxes in the last month. Interestly bought on Ebay for between $25 and $45 each. The $25 was by far the best! I watched one go for $75 and I still don't understand why someone paid so much for such a common box!? Very hard to find centered cards, most have read bleeding on the top, and many have problems on the sides which make them worthless. Especially the stickers... wow those are tough to get in good condition. I haven't sent any in yet but am curious what I will get.
  • Options
    Brianwinters fan.....#87 Krystkowiak PSA 9 N/Q and a little bleed on top...is yours...send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send it to you for free!!!

• Options
    yeehaw!!!
  • Options
    bwf,
    sending in a pressey, anderson, krystkowiak, and robertson all with a little bleed at the top. the pierce's i have are all too o/c in my opinion.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    Awesome!
  • Options
    if this set would of had the robinson rookie it would out of sight popular....stinks they didnt do an UPDATE.

loth
  • Options
    i busted another rack box tonite. one jordan sticker and no jordan regular cards. looked like a cherry picked box but i enjoyed opening regardless. low cost so i'm not out too much. the box i opened tonite was NOT from BBCE.

bwf, what are you still needing (if anything) in this set?

several O/C cards and many duplicates, triplets and quads....i'd say i've probably yielded half of a set.

i'm sorting them in numerical order now. there are a few GEMS it's just taking the time to pick them out.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    brianwintersfanbrianwintersfan Posts: 3,626 ✭✭
    I still need Ricky Pierce and would always upgrade my 9's to 10's if you get any image
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    This was the first year I got into basketball and I remember liking this set way more than hoops even with the Admiral. Too bad all of the can't miss HOF RCs all missed. Manning, Mitch Richmond, Hersey Hawkins, Brian Shaw, Dan Majerle, Kevin Johnson, Rik Smits, Rod Strickland, Reggie Lewis, Rex Chapman, Ken Norman, Rony Seikley, Scotty Skiles, Chris Morris, and Jeff Hornacek. A lot of them were dependable but none ever had clearcut HOF career.

I wish I could have the $4 a pack I spent on them in 1990. Still a great set and tough to get centered without problems.

ld, to answer your question, I don't think there is enough consistency with the graders to know whether or not the bleeding will knock them down. I'd say you have a shot at 10s so go for it, but I think you might need the right grader.

Lee
  • Options
    I love this set...apart from the admiral it has every star of the late 80's that made basketball THE COOL SPORT of the early 90's....which i think the NFL is now.