Home U.S. Coin Forum

Useful Excel Files for coin inventories

My father wrote this very simple Excel inquiry that goes out and grabs what is on PCGS' site and creates an excel spreadsheet of it. I use it to keep track of the PCGS value of my collection. It is setup for Morgan Dollar's right now, but could easily be modified for any type of coin. I am not an excel expert but the script would be a good starting point for an inventory sheet of all coins. It would need a few more macros to make the raw data more useful.

Just copy the below (between but not including the stars) into notepad and save as "morganprices.iqy". Then double click it. It will open up an excel spreadsheet and load web site contents.

WEB
http://www.pcgs.com/prices/frame.chtml?type=date&filename=morgan_regular

Selection=12
Formatting=None
PreFormattedTextToColumns=True
ConsecutiveDelimitersAsOne=True
SingleBlockTextImport=False
DisableDateRecognition=False

My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry

Comments

• Works cool!
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • Thank you!

Worked OK for me!
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• I did a little more exploring in Excel and found how to do this. This is quite powerful and I see a number of other uses for this type of functionality. . .

Thanks for sharing!!!image
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, That was cool.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Very cool and easily changable to other series.
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't work at all for me, and I don't have a notepad. There must be a simply way for we Mac users to do this.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Excellent.

Thanks
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Suh-weet. Who do I send the check to cause this will save me a ton of insane time?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

• << <i>Doesn't work at all for me, and I don't have a notepad. There must be a simply way for we Mac users to do this. >>

Notepad has nothing to do with it but you do need to have MS Excel installed. It can be saved in any text editor but it must be saved with the .iqy extension. If you have MS Excel installed, then your system should recognize the file as an Excel query file and do it's thing.
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    Or.... you could always upgrade your Mac to a PC! image

• << <i>Or.... you could always upgrade your Mac to a PC! image >>

...and have to deal with firewalls, spy ware, virus's etc!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
    On my Mac, I copied into a Word document and labeled it morganprices.iqy

When I tried to open this document with Excel, it was not recognized, so would not open. Anyone have more suggestions?
  • I don't have Excel on my PC and it doesn't work.
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On my Mac, I copied into a Word document and labeled it morganprices.iqy

When I tried to open this document with Excel, it was not recognized, so would not open. Anyone have more suggestions? >>

You need to use a text editor.

Works great. would be easy to use with a macro to format this to work for other things. I used to download all the prices weekly and store them in a database. For my series the prices never changed.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Very cool! Thanks for the heads-up.

cartwheel
  • just tried it with " http://www.pcgs.com/prices/frame.chtml?type=date&filename=sba_dollar_mod"
    Any ideas why it does not pull the PR SBA or any of the SAC's? Thanks

Edit: never mind it works!
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    sounds cool -- I'll try it this weekend -- thanks for sharing
    I brake for ear bars.
  • That is very cool!

Thanksimage
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    I always liked your dad
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

<< <i>

When I tried to open this document with Excel, it was not recognized, so would not open. Anyone have more suggestions? >>

You need to use a text editor.

Works great. would be easy to use with a macro to format this to work for other things. I used to download all the prices weekly and store them in a database. For my series the prices never changed. >>

What are some examples of a "text editor"? I must have one somewhere on my machine.
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used vi on my linux box to create the file.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

• What are some examples of a "text editor"? I must have one somewhere on my machine.

The missing test editor on Mac OS
    or
    free?

Know nothing of either of these. try google
  • Cool ! Works good , Thanks for sharing image
  • Cool ! Works good , Thanks for sharing

Me too----THANKS
    Larry
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Works sweet. Props to your dad.

For Windows users without Excel, you might be able to use Microsoft's free Excel Viewer. I haven't tried it, but it's worth a shot.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It works quite well. Thank you for posting it, and thank you to you father for writing it. image
  • MercuryMercury Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool, Thanks for sharing.
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
    "Freedom of speech is a great thing.Just because you can say anything does not mean you should.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic. Works great.
  • jomjom Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey...that's impressive! I've always wanted to try that method for getting stock quotes and stuff. Good job!

jom
  • OK, why don't this work for me..image

I've tried three times now and no luck.

I'm using XP Pro but an older version of Excel...Office 97.

Any ideas?

Ron
  • VamGuyVamGuy Posts: 1,624

<< <i>OK, why don't this work for me..image

I've tried three times now and no luck.

I'm using XP Pro but an older version of Excel...Office 97.

Any ideas?

Ron >>

Ditto.
  • It may be this feature is not available in older versions of Excel. I have 2002 at home and 2003 at work and both have this feature.

See if you have this menu option on Excel:

If you have this option, just paste in the URL of the page you want to import, click on the arrows of the portions of the page you wish to import and click the import button. You can also save the query for later.

If you don't have these options in your Excel, you are out of luck until you update to a newer version, sorry.
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

When saving the file in MS Word, choose the file type "plain text" or "ascii text". Since the extension does not necessarily dictate the file type on a Mac, you may have to drag the icon of the file you just saved over the icon for MS Excel to get excel to open the file. I think you can also option-click on the file you saved to associate it with MS Excel but it's been a while since I've used a Mac so I forget.

• << <i>My father wrote this very simple Excel inquiry that goes out and grabs what is on PCGS' site and creates an excel spreadsheet of it. I use it to keep track of the PCGS value of my collection. It is setup for Morgan Dollar's right now, but could easily be modified for any type of coin. I am not an excel expert but the script would be a good starting point for an inventory sheet of all coins. It would need a few more macros to make the raw data more useful.

Just copy the below (between but not including the stars) into notepad and save as "morganprices.iqy". Then double click it. It will open up an excel spreadsheet and load web site contents.

WEB
    http://www.pcgs.com/prices/frame.chtml?type=date&filename=morgan_regular

Selection=12
    Formatting=None
    PreFormattedTextToColumns=True
    ConsecutiveDelimitersAsOne=True
    SingleBlockTextImport=False
    DisableDateRecognition=False
    ************* >>

I think that you can modify which series you want.

Just change the web address image
    -Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA

<< <i>

When saving the file in MS Word, choose the file type "plain text" or "ascii text". Since the extension does not necessarily dictate the file type on a Mac, you may have to drag the icon of the file you just saved over the icon for MS Excel to get excel to open the file. I think you can also option-click on the file you saved to associate it with MS Excel but it's been a while since I've used a Mac so I forget. >>

Thanks for the info.

I tried every which way along the lines of what you said. No luck. My 10.1.6 version of Excel that came with Office does not have the "import data" feature. I give up.

I think I will order a new HD TV and forget about coins.image
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!

Thank you!

I love this place. Always learning something new.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I had no idea what I was doing but I followed your instructions and it works.

Now, would someone please tell me why I might want the price list in excell as opposed to just a printout of the prices?
    I brake for ear bars.
  • You must use a PC or a Mac with Virtual PC installed.
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had no idea what I was doing but I followed your instructions and it works.

Now, would someone please tell me why I might want the price list in excell as opposed to just a printout of the prices? >>

1- You could import the sheet every month and put each month onto a different tab in excel, then graph the changes over time.

2- Excel sheets print much more nicely than web pages, and you can format them however you like for even better printing.

3- Excel sheets import and view more nicely on PDA's should you wish to take one to a show, etc. On the other hand, you could import, say, online greysheet prices and that would be better to take to a show.

4- Good for dialup types who are not always connected to the internet. You know, all five of them that are left.
  • NumisMeNumisMe Posts: 841 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info!

I have used this before, but I am hoping that your dad can still help me.

What I need to know is, how do you get to the data that is behind a login, such as the PCGS POP reports.
    Of course you would have to be a member, and have a login and password already setup, but how do you get that information into the query so that you can access the data behind it.

I have been trying to figure this out for quite a while, and it would fantastic to solve the problem once and for all. It would add the finishing touch to my spreadsheet, and I know of at least a dozen others who would be very happy with it as well.

Hoping you (or your dad) can help. image
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, it was a simple change to mercury_dimes!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• OneyOney Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I have a solution for the pop report. PM me for answer....... not trying to keep a secret, but ......
    Brian
  • slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    I use this to keep track of the PCGS total value of my collection. I have a spreadsheet that lists the coins that I own and the grade. I link the "current" value field to the spreadsheet created by the excel inquiry. When I want to update the current value, I simply run the query and save it as "current morgan value.xls" (always use the same name). When I open the "morgan inventory.xls" spreadsheet, it automatically updates the values from the "current morgan value.xls" spreadsheet and viola, I now have a current PCGS value of my collection.

This is somewhat simplistic in that if PCGS changes the format or adds a coin to the "official" collection, all of my value spreadsheets will need to be updated with the new cell location.

I'll see about adding restricted areas of the PCGS site.

• JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭
    What I would like is an Excel sheet to import the Pinacle realized auction prices...
    "The greatest productive force is human selfishness."
    Robert A. Heinlein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file