Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

surprised by a lack of griffey

granted im pretty new to the PSA registry and these boards - so im sorry if this topic has been discussed - i was surprised that there was no ken griffey jr player set registry - anyone know why there si such a lack of intrest ? understandably he hasnt been the griffey of the 90's in his last 4-5 seasons but he still has to be considered prob one fo the greatest players of the 90's era
collecting:
1990 leaf in (10)
1986 topps mets (10)
2008 ring kings cut signatures
any Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Keith Hernandez cards in (10)

Comments

• Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    There is a real dearth of modern player collectors... I think there's just too much modern shit out there and it intimidates many from attempting all but collecting maybe the rookies and a few key autograph issues... it's a shame because it's creatig a big gap in the hobby and not adding to the great legacy of player collecting.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Agrees that modern player collections is an intimidating task with too damn much out there.......for instance a Manny Ramirez master set consists of over 750 items.....99.5% of which are not worth the grading price.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Even Cal Ripken, who retired in 2001, has over 2,100 cards in his Master Player Set. There is one dedicated collector who is chipping away at that number. But from a pure financial standpoint - that is over $10k in grading fees, not to mention the cost of the actual cards. I'm pretty well advanced in the Schmidt Master Set registry - and even that [at over 500 cards] can be a pain in the neck. Anything more than that - my advice would be to collect raw, but for rookie and key cards.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    mihgt be a dumb question but why dont they just add basic sets for modern players ? wouldnt that be an attainable set for ppl intrested in modern/current players ?
    collecting:
    1990 leaf in (10)
    1986 topps mets (10)
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    I think ( in particular the last 5 years of so) that it is impossible to distinguish between basic and master anymore.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Even the basic sets on the modern players run into big numbers and economically tough. I took a quick look at here are the numbers of cards in basic sets for these current players
    Bonds - 421
    Arod - 285
    Clemens - 247
    Ripken - 273

I am sure Griffey would have numbers like Bonds

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I echo the above comments. It's too bad, because there are several players (Roger Clemens comes to mind) who I would love to collect a basic set of - but there is no way I am going to chase down worthless cards produced throughout the 90's and then pay to have them slabbed. I am not sure what alternative you would have, either.
  • Options
    Not that it fits for all situations, but I believe the Nolan Ryan collectors have choices that make sense. You've got the basic, master and topps sets. I could see a more basic basic set.
    At the same time, there are choices for the showcase sets and not everything has to be ordained by PSA as a set. We're free to collect what we want without logging it against a set list.
    that brought to you by someone who has several player sets... image
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    The Favre master set consists of 995 cards at present. However there are well over 5000 different Favre cards out there. Some PSA wont grade because they cant holder them. Others wont be included due to scarcity. But those items will not reduce the total number by much. Modern master player sets will be a true labor of love for the player. I wonder if they will ever do a right up like they did for the Rose collector for those of us that collect a modern player such as Favre, P. Manning, A Rod etc.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    As is being said here, there are just too many modern cards to make a current player set meaningful. I'm a big Derek Jeter fan and I have been collecting his Topps and Bowman Heritage cards. I'm thinking of requesting a player set of just Jeter Heritage cards. To me, it is easy to define, seems like a series that will continue, and allows me to get one card (maybe 2 or three depending on variations) of a player I like each year. I can find a nice raw card for ~$1 and spend $5 for grading and I'm done. I grew up collecting my favorite players each year, I hate to stop doing it now.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's just waaaaayyyyyyy too many new cards. I feel bad for the collectors of modern cards. Trying to put even a basic set together is a daunting task. Too bad the hobby had to take the direction it took flooding the market with all these cards.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    They really need to redefine 'basic' sets, especially for the modern players.

If they want to drum up interest in these modern player set registries, they should have a scaled down, truly 'basic' set with at most 10 cards per year from each player. For a 15 year career, that'd be 150 cards which should give a very thorough look at a player's career, without being overdone.

Anything other than those 10 should be considered master set material.
  • Options
    I do player runs of my favorite players, but I only collect the cards from the products I like. For example, D. Mattingly. I'll collect his Topps, Donruss, Fleer, Ultra, Upper Deck, Score, SP, Stadium Club and Leaf cards. I'm not interested in the other issues and keep track of the cards on an Excel spreadsheet. The run will consist of all the above products from RC to his final card. As long as the card is in the set, it makes the run. It makes a nice chronicle of a players career and eliminates all the inserts and lesser known cards. I'll also build these runs in PSA and SGC holders. They'll never win any Registry awards (because I don't post the cards), but I was collecting like this before the Registry.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Right now im working on an Emmitt Smith master and basic sets for him. The master set has about 874 cards in it.

When asked before Christmas from my wife and family what i wanted fro Christmas and birthday, which was 6 days later, all i told them to get me was Ebay and PSA gift certificates. I told her forget the underwear and the shirts, i'll wear what i already have. Just hook me up with some ebay $$ and paypal $$ image

So far i've added about 24 total cards to my set with about 22 being PSA 10's and i haven't spent 1 cent of my own money

So as crazy as 874 cards sound, i believe reaching a high % in this set is attainable

Dave
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I feel that the modern Master player sets are really for the true fan of that player. A die hard will try to get as many as possible. I sure I will never approach 100% of the possible Favre cards. Getting to 100% of the cards listed now is easy. For instance one card alone right now is on Ebay for over 1000. Its an auto card with Favre, Starr, Marino, Elway, Montana and Unitas. Talk about a card. That would be great for the FB HOFer Auto set as well, kill 6 with one card. I would love to drop the cash but its hard to do for that price.

My goal has always been to amass the best Favre collection I can. So I do the best that I can.

As always you are always free to collect what you want on the set registry. Either request a certain set with the cards you want included or make your own on the collectors showcase side of the registry. There is no reason to be in this to win the best set award. After all its just a paper certificate
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    I suprised that people have asked for rookie sets to be listed on the registy for players with tons of card. A Griffey rookie master set would be great. It has some really common cards like the Upper Deck card, but also others that don't show upt too often the the cand bar cards. I think the set would be about 25 cards, a nice small set. There are lots of other players that have 50 or 100 rookie cards. They could even have basic and master sets for these players because some collectors only collect the "real" rookies and don't collect all of the parallels and inserts.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I collect Griffey Jr. but a master set would be impossible to keep track of! The bottom line is that PSA should have a heading that is for Griffey and as you add a card it is put in order by year! It should allow you to have more than one of a certain card and you just get points per card? Is it necesarry to have weights? No , there will never ever be a completion on a Bonds,Griffey, Favre or Jeter sets. It would spark interest and you wouldn't have to wade through a 250 diffrent sets in the collectors showcase to find someone that might be collecting something that intrests you, just click in the players set heading and you get players that are collected but really have no completion mark.

Back to the more than one of a specific card! If I have 3 Upper Deck Rookies in a PSA 10 I should be able to list all 3 but only get the 1 point for having the card. If I have 7 93 Finest Refractors , I should be able to list all 7 but get only the 1 point for the first , but the 6 others are listed underneath it as having them.

It would be more of a point system rather than a completion or weighting system? I know some like the peice of paper for having the best set and thats great on a set that actually has a completion number of cards. Players like Brett, Schmidt and Montana have completion obtainable or a 1978 Topps set . This use to drive me carazy with Ryan if i want to have 17 Ryan Rookies I should be able to list them and not have to start another set! If I want to collect 2003 Ryan issues or just the 70's then so be it!

It would look something like this for a retired player? A lot less research and work on PSA's part and a collector can collect what he wants when it comes to a specific set! If you want to mix Gretzky, Montana, Magic Johnson and Mickey Mantle cards then go to the collectors showcase?
    Nolan Ryan Basic
    Nolan Ryan Master
    Nolan Ryan Topps
    Nolan Ryan

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>I collect Griffey Jr. but a master set would be impossible to keep track of! The bottom line is that PSA should have a heading that is for Griffey and as you add a card it is put in order by year! It should allow you to have more than one of a certain card and you just get points per card? Is it necesarry to have weights? No , there will never ever be a completion on a Bonds,Griffey, Favre or Jeter sets. It would spark interest and you wouldn't have to wade through a 250 diffrent sets in the collectors showcase to find someone that might be collecting something that intrests you, just click in the players set heading and you get players that are collected but really have no completion mark.

Back to the more than one of a specific card! If I have 3 Upper Deck Rookies in a PSA 10 I should be able to list all 3 but only get the 1 point for having the card. If I have 7 93 Finest Refractors , I should be able to list all 7 but get only the 1 point for the first , but the 6 others are listed underneath it as having them.

It would be more of a point system rather than a completion or weighting system? I know some like the peice of paper for having the best set and thats great on a set that actually has a completion number of cards. Players like Brett, Schmidt and Montana have completion obtainable or a 1978 Topps set . This use to drive me carazy with Ryan if i want to have 17 Ryan Rookies I should be able to list them and not have to start another set! If I want to collect 2003 Ryan issues or just the 70's then so be it!

It would look something like this for a retired player? A lot less research and work on PSA's part and a collector can collect what he wants when it comes to a specific set! If you want to mix Gretzky, Montana, Magic Johnson and Mickey Mantle cards then go to the collectors showcase?
    Nolan Ryan Basic
    Nolan Ryan Master
    Nolan Ryan Topps
    Nolan Ryan >>

that sounds like what kinda gets done on the BGS registy - u can make a "stackable" registry where u can list multiples of certain cards but u dont get extra credit towards completing the set
    collecting:
    1990 leaf in (10)
    1986 topps mets (10)
  • Options
    Its a Reds organization conspiracy.
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • Options
    There is an easy solution for the modern player......ROOKIE REGISTRIES.....you can have an Albert Pujols master 2001 set, which includes his 45 RC's AND all the 200 or so parallel 2001's....then you can have an ALbert Pujols 2001 Basic set,which only includes his 45 RC's..these sets would be attainable (not 2000 cards) and practical....the best part about it is that is a a fixed number, it does not grow exponentially every year! this would rejuvenate the set registry and incorporate a very popular thing..rookie cards! the rookie set registry would work for many players from 1999 on (after the proliferation of sets and serial numbering)....

i know a donmattingly rookie set registry would not be a good as a ichiro or pujols set registry......lets face it players like pujols come laong once in 50 years!
  • Options
    Ken Griffey Jr.'s Rookie card list? 45 Cards and I am sure I missed one or two?
    American Carmel(CHEESY as they get)
    Bowman
    Bowman w/Sr.
    Bowman Tiffany
    Bowman Tiffany w Sr.
    Donruss
    Donruss Rookies
    Donruss Best
    Fleer
    Fleer Glossy (which I am not sure exists?)
    Mothers Cookies set of 4
    Mothers Cookies Mariners team set
    Pacific Yellow
    Pacific Blue
    Pacific White
    Score Traded
    Score Young Superstars
    Score Masters
    Score Masters Box Card
    Star 1 to 11 (white back
    Star 1 to 8 (yellow, not sure about the existence of this either?)
    Topps Traded
    Topps Traded Tiffany
    Topps Debut
    Upper Deck
    Collector Focus

• Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    The Fleer Glossy exists. I cracked that set once and graded the Griffey. It got an 8.
  • Options
    I think the Star cards are from 1990, so they wouldn't be part of the rookie set. I have heard of the American Carmal card but I don't see it cataloged any where. Does anyone have more info on this card? Also does anyone have the pops of PSA 9 and 10s for the Pacific Candy cards?
  • Options
    PSA has graded
    34 of the American Carmel .........31 9's and 3 10's
    Blue background ...............1 6 and 8 8's
    White background ............6 8's
    Yellow background ..........10 8's
    So it looks to be a tough rookie card no 9's which I find surprising?
    Collector Focus

• Options
    yup, its a toughie!

I collect raw on Will Clark, Eddie Murray and Darin Erstad. Murray and Clark had something like 400-600 new cards in 2005. YUCK! Erstad only had about 250 or so.

Its gotten kinda crazy. My wantlists are still about the same size they were 2 years ago. More new cards come along quicker than I can acquire the already issued items. It's even made it tougher to find the stuff like 80s/90s off brand stuff, food cards etc because of the perceived lack of interest.

Another weird angle too is that on some new releases you'll need to pounce on them immediately if they are numbered low enough (stuff typically around /25 or less) or you may not see any of them ever again.
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    Still no Griffey thread?