Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1984 or 1989 – Which is your favorite year for modern football?

To me these two years just stand head and shoulders above the rest. Have a look:

1984 Topps Rookie Hall-of-Famers
Dan Marino
John Elway
Eric Dickerson
Howie Long
Dwight Stephenson
Jackie Slater
Darrell Green (Future)
Morten Andersen (Future?)

1984 USFL Rookie Hall-of-Famers
Steve Young
Reggie White
Jim Kelly

1989 Score Rookie Hall-of-Famers
Barry Sanders
Troy Aikman
Bruce Matthews (Future)
Cris Carter (Future)
Tim Brown (Future)
Thurman Thomas (Future)
Michael Irvin (Future)
Derrick Thomas (Future)
Deion Sanders (Future)
Rod Woodson (Future)

That's 11 HOF'ers and possible HOF'ers from the '84 sets and 10 HOF'ers and possible HOF'ers from the '89 Score set, and I may have left one or two out too. Talk about two star-studded classes!
"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Personally I like 85 and 86 better than both, but that's just me .....................image

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally I like 85 and 86 better than both, but that's just me ..................... >>

We're talking Hall of Fame rookie card power years here boss. '85 and '86 don't even come close!

I must say though, I am rather fond of my '85 Topps Joe Morris rookie. Still my favorite Giant!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Personally I like 85 and 86 better than both, but that's just me ..................... >>

We're talking Hall of Fame rookie card power years here boss. >>

Then maybe you should have stated that somewhere in your original post, boss. I like 85 the best.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Ohh I dont know I say 86 could stack up with'em

Jerry Rice
    Steve Young
    Bernie Kosar
    Boomer Esiason
    Reggie White
    Andre Reed
    Bruce Smith

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Then maybe you should have stated that somewhere in your original post, boss. I like 85 the best. >>

The title says '84 or '89. That's pretty darn clear to me. If you're going to bring sarcasm to this thread, go find another one. I was obviously just needling tennesseebanker about the '85 and '86 sets.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Then maybe you should have stated that somewhere in your original post, boss. I like 85 the best. >>

The title says '84 or '89. That's pretty darn clear to me. If you're going to bring sarcasm to this thread, go find another one. I was obviously just needling tennesseebanker about the '85 and '86 sets. >>

Easy Pal, I was just enlightening you that it wasn't clear that you only wanted 84 or 89 or only HOF rc's.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

• Options

<< <i>image >>

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Isnt there someone in the registry who has an 89 score in all psa 10 ??

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Personally I like 84 Topps the best...The 89 Score is so easy to find in high grade...I like the look of the cards better as well...These are the top 2 sets from the 80s as far as HOF RC's (present and future)...I don't forsee any sets from the 90's having more than 5 HOF RCs...
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Isnt there someone in the registry who has an 89 score in all psa 10 ??

That would be me.image
    Both years are great and the player selection beyond just the RC cards are unbelievable. I leaned towards doing the 89 Score over the 84 Topps because I personally had much more 89 Score material to submit. Unfortunately I wasn't getting as many 10's, even though my 9's were just as nice as the 10's I was seeing. I ended up contacting Joe Tuttle and he submitted quite a bit and got the 10's when I didn't. Maybe his eye is better than mineimage

Here is my a copy of my "owners comments" from my set:

I feel this is the set that rejuvenated the football card market. This 330 card set has a clean design with sharp photography. The three colored borders (Blue, Green, and Red) give the impression that the set was released in series. This set contains the first Score cards of stars such as J. Montana, J. Rice, S. Young, D. Marino and J. Kelly. The set also has the RC cards of sure Hall of Famers C. Carter, R. Woodson, T. Brown, B. Matthews, T. Thomas, D. Sanders, B. Sanders and T. Aikman.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Frank, has anyone ever done an article in SMR concerning your set ? That is one major accomplishment to have a major set in all 10's !

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I agree that 1986 could be just as important with respect to HOF RC's, but of your choices I like the Marino / Elway combo in 1984.
  • Options
    Frank, has anyone ever done an article in SMR concerning your set ?

I was going to write an article, but there has been a lot of negative feeling towards modern cards and modern sets on the boards lately. I collect both vintage and modern and love both, but there are some board members that can't get past their vintage bias and either ridicule or bash guys who build modern sets. The irony is they don't collect modern, but feel free to expound on the worthlessness (is that a word) of modern.

Anyway, it's a great set. 1989 to me is better not only because of the impact Rc's, but the amount of veterans in the prime of their careers. I also think it has great value. 9's can be had for the price of grading and 10's trade between $10-$15. If you build the set, do it as a labor of love.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    84&85
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    1989 even though it is not nearly as high as it once was...
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I don't see 5 HOF RCs from the 1986 set...Great design, although 1985 would rate best design in my book when it comes to 80's football...

1986 HOF RCs that I'm counting are:
    Jerry Rice
    Bruce Smith
    Andre Reed

Steve Young and Reggie White cards are their first NFL cards, but the USFL issues are more widely regarded as their true rookie cards...Hence their inclusion in the NFL HOF RC set on the registry...

Is their someone I'm missing from 1986??Bernie Kosar and Boomer Esiasion, mentioned earlier in this thread, aren't anywhere near the HOF..Both are eligible and weren't even NOMINEES this year..

1984 Topps and 1989 Score are BY FAR the richest sets from the 80's when it comes to rookie HOFers...Its not even close...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    i do the 84's....check out stone's thread on mail call to see my new psa 8 walter payton i won last night...ITS SWEEEEEET!!!

loth
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    I vote for 1985! image
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Frank, has anyone ever done an article in SMR concerning your set ?

I was going to write an article, but there has been a lot of negative feeling towards modern cards and modern sets on the boards lately. I collect both vintage and modern and love both, but there are some board members that can't get past their vintage bias and either ridicule or bash guys who build modern sets. The irony is they don't collect modern, but feel free to expound on the worthlessness (is that a word) of modern.

Anyway, it's a great set. 1989 to me is better not only because of the impact Rc's, but the amount of veterans in the prime of their careers. I also think it has great value. 9's can be had for the price of grading and 10's trade between $10-$15. If you build the set, do it as a labor of love. >>

Ah, screw them. I would love reading something on this set. I remember packs were getting some good coin and the factory sets were hot. This set was nice and simple and made peopel realize there was something else to collect besides 89 Upper Deck. To bad Tony Manderich (sp?) was such a flop!

Stingray
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    My vote is '84
  • Options
    '84 USFL Topps is a cool little set.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Why not do a master set of all the 1980s' rookie cards (HOFers and future HOFers, plus any other 80's rookie star u desire to collect!)???

rbd
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.... I ended up contacting Joe Tuttle and he submitted quite a bit and got the 10's when I didn't. Maybe his eye is better than mineimage ... >>

I don't think his eye is any better. I purchased a group of 1000 PSA 9s from '89 Score and when they arrived they all had "Tuttle" written on the PSA boxes. image

The 1989 Score Football set has great player selection. It still has a ton of great players from the '85 Bears, the Niners are of course highly represented and the Giants great team is well depicted. The foundation of the Bills and Cowboys great teams are here as well.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I prefer 84

and yes the originator of this thread was clear .

THE TITLE ASKS:

1984 OR 1989

Were you half in the bag last night?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    CopperJJCopperJJ Posts: 587 ✭✭✭
    I like both sets, I just wish I had them both.

Anyone ever add up the number of Super Bowl wins of all the HOFers in each set? I would think the 84 set would win that one.

Clayton Kershaw - master set
    Signed Sets:
    2011 Topps Heritage BB
    1960s & 1970s Topps decade Cincinnati Reds
    2006-2016 A&G HOFers
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed collecting the year that Manning and Leaf came in.

There was a lot of excitement and people were chasing all kinds of "limited" RCs that year!

BTW, in BKB - my favorite year was 1992 - yes the year of the Shaq!

And in BB, it was also 1992 - people went ape crap over Fleer Ultra that year! The photography was super.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Stingray- Thanks for the sentiment. I just get tired after awhile of trying to defend collecting modern. As you can see from my 89 score set, not all modern collectors are in it for the moneyimage
    I agree with you on Mandarich. A co-worker of mine is a rabid Packer fan and I enjoy reminding him that Mandarich was taken before B. Sandersimage

2 of the uniques characteristics of the 89 Score set are the the 3 different colored borders. This gives the impression that the set was issued in Series rather than in one shot. I also like the Speedburners and Predator subsets which highlight some of the games best speedsters and defensive players.

Photography and cardstock are also exceptional for this set. That's what initially got me psyched about the set in 1989. Take a close look at the photos. Score was way ahead of the competition in this area.

Up until this point eveyone was collecting baseball, but the collecting mania hadn't spread to the other sports yet. For all of the above reasons, Score put football card collecting back on the map.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I love the '89 Score set, and I think eventually it will have the most HOF RCs of any modern set. My PSA 10 set is third to Frank's and Dave's, with 323/330 image. '84 is awesome too. Modern football in general has been hotter this year than I've seen it in 3 or 4 years. An unnumbered Marcus Allen auto sold for over $500 last week.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    I'm going to pick the 1989 Score set and I'm going to add the tying potential HOF rookie for that set.

Raiders Steve Wisniewski. 12 years in the league. 8 Pro Bowls.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the 1989 Set because of the clean design. Plus it has the best rookies and stars from the 1980's and 1990's. I'm not so sure that Michael Irvin, Cris Carter, and Tim Brown will all get in. Tim Brown probably has the best chance, but I can't see the voters letting in all of the WRs, look at Art Monk still waiting.

Mike
  • Options
    I'm not so sure that Michael Irvin, Cris Carter, and Tim Brown will all get in. Tim Brown probably has the best chance, but I can't see the voters letting in all of the WRs, look at Art Monk still waiting

The fact that Art Monk isn't in is a shame. Of the 3 WR's mentioned, Carter and Brown lead Monk in receptions (1101, 1094 to 940) receiving yards (13899, 14934 to 12721) and Rec TD's (130, 100 to 68). Irvin's stats and achievements are comparable to Monks, and if Irvin is to be considered, than yes, Monk should be too.
    Monks big problem is that his stats have already been eclipsed and as current players close in on his numbers (M. Harrison, T. Owens, I. Bruce, K. McCardell, J. Smith, R. Moss), his name drops further down the list.
    If he doesn't get in soon (next 1-2 years), his only chance will than be by the veterans committee.
  • Options
    Stingray- Ironically I received my PSA Insider email last night, only to find out that my 89 Score Football set was highlighted in the PSA Set Registry Spotlight section. Finally a little recognition. image Maybe I will write that article and see if we can drum up some more interest in this great set
  • Options

<< <i>Stingray- Ironically I received my PSA Insider email last night, only to find out that my 89 Score Football set was highlighted in the PSA Set Registry Spotlight section. Finally a little recognition. image Maybe I will write that article and see if we can drum up some more interest in this great set >>

Nice to hear that, the more I read and hear about this set the more I think about trying it.

Stingray
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I've gotta go with 1984. In addition to the HOFers, it also had some good rookies of some of my favorite Bears players.

• Options

<< <i>I've gotta go with 1984. In addition to the HOFers, it also had some good rookies of some of my favorite Bears players.

image >>

Did he not try or make it on the Olympic team for track??

Stingray
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Did he not try or make it on the Olympic team for track??

Stingray >>

He would have gone to the Summer Olympics in 1980, but the US boycotted. Wikipedia. He was also apparently on the 1988 US Bobsled team. Huh. I've seen some attribution that says he won two Olympic Gold Medals, but there is no substantiation of those reports. He won gold medals at World Championship competitions, but not the Olympics.