Home Sports Talk
Options

Should Manny be in the HOF?? I say Yes

Better catcher than Bench and Munson????? Should be in the hall.

Comments

• Options
    I followed baseball in the late 70s, and do not remember this guy at all.

Of course, it may have been because the A's sucked in the late 70s. I do remember that the paid attendence for one of the A's home games in 1977 (or 78, I forget) was 693.
  • Options
    Manny was actually a Pirate for most of his career. He was on the 1971 Championship team.Rookie card in 1968. Always smiling with the gap between his front two teeth.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was probably the free-est swinger in baseball. He didn't care if the pitchl was two feet out of the strike zone, he was swinging' at it...and usually hit it!

Steve
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If so, then Tony Pena must also go. IMO, both were very good defensive catchers in their day, but not HOF-worthy.
  • Options
    Yeah...Im only joking around but for those that are unaware....this guy was very underated.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I'd bet I'm not the only one who thought this was a Manny Ramirez thread.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Hell if Bettis 'deserves' to go, so does this guy.

Hell, let's put EVERY pittsburgh player in the hall...what are you, yankee fans?!

haha

• Options
    There arent too many players who were traded for a manager as Manny was though. That has to count for something image.
  • Options
    the baseball hall of fame? manny sanguillen? he was an all star,a good hitter with a great arm and an unmistakable style , but i really doubt he iseven in the pittsburg pirate hall of fame. but he should be in that one.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Crap, I thought this was a Manny Legace thread!

Stingray
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    If Manny goes so does Ted Simmons,Bill Freehan & Lance Parrish,anybody agree?All 3 were better than many in most catagories.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Woops I forgot Thurman Munson.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If Manny goes so does Ted Simmons,Bill Freehan & Lance Parrish,anybody agree?All 3 were better than many in most catagories. >>

Agree, but the list of catchers better than Manny is much longer than just those three. Of the maybe 20 or so modern catchers better than Manny not already in the HOF, Freehan, IMO, has the strongest case.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.