Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1991 OPC baseball - are these scarce?

Been trying to find some high-end singles from this set, but even commons seem hard to find. At least they were when I last looked on eBay. Was this the year that Topps finally gave up on baseball cards in Canada?

Comments

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Just to be clear, I'm referring to the regular issue that mirrors the Topps "40th anniversary" one. Not the "Premier" one that's found all over the place.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Yes, they're pretty tough. I wouldn't say scarce, but they don't pop up every day. You an probably find some raw ones on the beckett marketplace.
  • Options
    I've been trying to find these for awhile. I haven't seen any on Ebay in about 1 1/2 years.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi...

There is an ebayer by the name of "wantlistguy" that has 8 team sets listed on eBay right now with "Buy It Now" from $2-$3 each set. I'm at work so no time for a real good search, but I know there are some listed as singles also.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    I didn't see any singles for sale, but he does have a few team sets. I sent an email to him asking whether he has a Red Sox one.

In the interim, I did some Googling and actually found a dealer that had them. I just ordered 5 boxes of '91 OPC wax for $8 a pop image

I'm actually looking for one card in particular. That's the Clemens #530 to round out my '91 Clemens collection.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Brian-

Please make absolutely absolutely absolutely sure that you're getting OPC and not OPC Premier. Many dealers will not see a difference.
  • Options
    Yeah, I was worried too, but this dealer happen to have both of them listed. Here's the pic on the item description.

The price was actually $9.00 per box. Not sure what I was thinking of earlier. image

Anyway, we'll see in a few days image
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    Vous Pourriez GAGNER!
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Brian48...

Good luck with your purchase.

Donato
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options
    where did you order them? I'd like to get a few.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>Vous Pourriez GAGNER! >>

Perry, are you high?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Think you could bust wax and sell the singles to player collectors on eBay?
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

$9.00 a box, I bet they sold for more than $.25 a pack in '91.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    I ordered them here. I looked at some of their other stuff. Not a bad selection at all. Some of the vending boxes have been GAI sealed to boot. In fact, I'm amazed at the amount of unopened stuff.

http://www.pghsportswholesale.com
  • Options
    How about a 1957 TOPPS BASEBALL 2ND SERIES UNOPENED PACK GAI 8 for $6500 image

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Perry, are you high? >>

the whole top diamond and the bottom row gold..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    just ordered a few boxes myself, thanks for the link
  • Options

<< <i>Think you could bust wax and sell the singles to player collectors on eBay? >>

Donato

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭
    Hi
    I will pay 9.00 for a MINT (no scratches)full 4 card box bottom with Nolan Ryan on it?

Thanks
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Just wanted to follow up. Got my boxes today. I'm very taken back at the quality of these cards. The paper stock is so much superior to the Topps, the photos really stand out. In fact, except for the lack of a glossy surface, I'd swear I was handling Topps Tiffanys. The stock is also extremely resistance to the wax from the wrapper and gunk from the deteriorated gum. I've gone through 3 boxes so far and haven't encountered a single card that was damaged by the gum. Can't say the same for all the '91 Topps boxes I've broken out. Yes, there are some minor centering issues, but way better than what I expected OPC to be. In fact, the centering is just as good if not better than it's Topps counterpart. My only complaint thus far appears to be card distribution. It sucks. Same box will generally yield multiples of the same player (stars and common). I suppose this is not bad if it was one of the big three I'm looking for (Ryan, Clemens, C.Jones), but that hasn't been the case.
  • Options
    post some scans...I get my boxes tomorrow.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Any chance some of you buying the boxes can help me with any of the following cards? I'm not buying these to grade, so if you want to keep your best copy for yourself and sell me a lesser quality example, I would be grateful.

For 1991 OPC, I need:

#1-Nolan Ryan
    #6-Nolan Ryan RB
    #38-Scott Bradley
    #436-Scott Bankhead
    #479-Bob Patterson
    #455-Walt Weiss
    #592-BJ Surhoff

Thanks, and feel free to send me a PM if you can help.

James
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    I think I got most of them. I know I got two of the Ryan #1's and one #6. Still busting them right now (taking a break). Only one C.Jones so far, a 9 at best, but most likely an 8. I'm not really looking to grade any either, I'm just on quest for the Clemens #530 card. It's that cool looking card of him standing by the Green Monster. I've got all the known iterations of this card except the OPC version. So far I haven't come across it yet, but I've got about a box and half left to go.
  • Options
    Let me know if you don't get the Clemens. I am looking for Jose and Ozzie Canseco. If I don't get one of them we can trade.
  • Options
    The Canseco brothers? I think I got two or three of each. I'll have to go through all of them later to find out.
  • Options
    I am looking for a Griffey Jr reg. and Griffey Jr. All Star Mint and centered? How about the Ryan box bottom also?
    Collector Focus

• Options
    I get 5 boxes tomorrow...If anyone has any that they want just post them here and we can work something out.
  • Options
    Ryan box bottom full 4 card panel(no scratches or creases)
    Ken Griffey Jr NM MT or Mint and centered
    Ken Griffey Jr. All Star NM MT or Mint and centered

If either one of you gets one LMK
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Well, I finally got the Clemens card. Corners, edges, and surface are in perfect PSA 10 worthy condition. Unfortunately, the centering is really off. Same for one of the Ryans, although the other might be worthy of submission. The C.Jones has one soft corner, but you need to look at it under magnification to see it.

Clemens, Ryan, and C.Jone

Two of the boxes had Ryan on the bottom, but only one survived the abuse of being a box bottom. Too bad the top of the box is torn off. You can hand cut these cards and PSA will grade them, right? I wonder if it's worth the effort. The white speckle near Ryan's shoulder is lint on the scanner.

Ryan box bottom

Some other other misc PSA 10 worthy specimens. It's going to take me a while to sift through everything. I did see quite a few Griffeys, but none of were as good as these.

Misc - Maddux and Brett

One second thought, these images are way to big. Here are the URLs to the images instead.

• Options
    can you scan the back of one?
  • Options
  • Options
    very nice, I can't wait to get mine
  • Options
    Brian48...

That looks like a great looking box bottom with the Ryan on it.

Congrats on your pulls.

Donato

• Options
    I love this oddball stuff!
    Collector Focus

• Options
    if anyone gets any maddux cards that they are willing to part with let me know! I'm building my basic/master maddux collection and don't have a 91 OPC maddux(looking for hopefully PSA9 quality) Thanks and good luck with your box breaks!
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • Options
    headed home to break mine open!
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck Steven. Have fun and let us know how it turns out.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    I am going through these cards right now...and I am very impressed with the condition. The stock is so much better than regular Topps. it is very similar to the 1991 Topps Traded set.

scans will be up soon.
  • Options
    Bo Jackson and Ken Griffey, Jr.

• Options
    Mattingly and Brett

• Options
    Clemens and Ryan

• Options
    Brett and Bonds

• Options
    Jones and Bonds

• Options
    Ryan and Maddox

• Options
    Awesome Clemens. Even better than the one I pulled. Let me know if there's anything you still want to trade for it.

Jack,

I'll try to send the Ryan boxes out to you today if I can make it to post office during lunch.