Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Found my Vezina, lost in 1982, !!! WHEW !!!

It's been almost 25 years. Back in 1979 when I was 12, my cousin told me he wanted to win the Vezina trophy in the NHL (he didn't make it ). Shortly after that our family went to Hawaii and we stopped over in Vancouver BC. While we were there I wandered into a comic shop and ended up looking at hockey cards. Well there was this Vezina guy that my couz told me about. So anyway I bought the card for $15.00 that's 15 dollars, even though I knew it would take away from my PAC-MAN funding. My Dad laughed at me and said " now you only have $85.00 to last you for 2 weeks.

Who's laughing now Dad, heh heh image.

In 1982 we moved to a new house and the card was seen again and I considered it lost. It wasn't til the early 90's that I started feeling sick about it, the hockey card world was on fire and I had collected some of the nicest cards out there by this time. As we all know the Vezina has become very collectable. Well I went to visit my Dad a few days ago and what did I find laying on his desk.............my Vezina image.

It was like winning a lottery.

I just wanted to share this story with you collectors, thanks for reading.

Trent

Comments

• Options
    I'm trying to post a pic of the card.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Very cool story. Thanks for sharing! image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    That is very cool, now get that thing into a holder.image

Stingray
  • Options
    Just wanted to say

And here I am thinking you are waxing nostalgic over the 60-61 Topps All Time Great
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantanstic story!

Are you gonna send it in to PSA?

Here's a nice 4 from the registry.

I hope I find something that's missing that I also didn't remember buying? image

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Great story and find !

To this day whenever I stop by my parents old house I search for a 1962 topps mantle that got lost in my old bedroom drawers when I was around 13 or 14. It was a card I won in a raffle at some local show around 1984 or 85. We still cant figure out if it was actually lost, or swiped by some supposed friend at that time.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Great story thanks for sharing I've been wanting that card for some time now.. 15 bucks wow.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies and the kind words guys, I did move it from the mini picture frame into a nice card holder.

I remember that bottom corner getting damaged, can't remember how. The pen marks on the back were already there and someone tried to erase them before I got it. It's not in very good shape but to see it again after all this time is just unreal and I feel more attached to the rest of my collection than ever.

I don't think I'll bother with getting it graded, I think it's good and that's good enough image. I wouldn't be able to afford a card like this now so I don't care what it's worth, it's priceless to me image.

Thanks again guys, Trent.
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Very cool story Trent,

I have been drooling at how rare that card is...anyone seen the one BIN by BMWCards on ebay?

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    So what do you know about the C55 Vezina...SMR says psa 4 = 1900
    From what i've seen this thing is rarely for sale in the market...few and far between to say the least.

VCP says $3600 for PSA 4 and $2000 for PSA 2.

BMWCards PSA 2 BIn is $3800 or something like that....I'm sure anyone who sells this card can really gouge the market for anything seeing how little competition there is.

The greatness of rarity..how bad do you want it... image

• Options
    Now you can wear the Vezina shirt around. lol

Congrats on finding your lost card.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Wow, cool story. Congrats.
  • Options
    Why is this thread from 2 1/2 years ago back just to say cool story? Is Akuracy the new TVAC?
    Tonya
  • Options
    Ahh didn't notice that.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I just want to stir up more conversation about this card....not necessarily trying to spam the board with old threads.

I think it has more significance than %90 cards being discussed today.

• Options
    I was just wondering how you found this thread from so long ago though. You've only been here a couple months. Just thought it was weird.
    Tonya
  • Options
    Search function found me this "vezina" thread.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I've always wondered where my Bo Jackson rookie on the faux wood plaque disappeared to...I'll tell you if I find it on my dad's desk...very cool story and card. That's even better than a winning an auction for half your snipe value!
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    all aboard the karma train...

+1 the world

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Whew, I just found my "Lost Vezina" thread from '06, lol.

It's funny, I'm actually wanting to get it graded, whatever the grade.

I'll try and scan it after supper, but I might have to use the camera.
  • Options
    I would buy one in a new york minute if i found a decent one in the market...the BIN on ebay now has a tear in one of the corners that looks like it's falling off...bummer it's a psa 2.

WOuld love to see the scans

• Options
    Some pictures of the "Vezina".

I can't believe how much things in my life have changed in 2 years???

Thanks for the old thread Martin.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took almost 30 years, but a 12 year old boy turns $15 into possibly $2,000 - $4,000 (depending on the grade) if graded and sold. If you ever sell it you should probably throw your dad $500 for saving it all those years.
  • Options
    I would never sell that Vezina...

This is one of the best "find" stories i've read on the boards so far.