Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

background on 1969 topps 4 in 1's...?

where these guys issued before/after/during the regular 1969 set? i had never seen them until a recent e-bay auction, so obviously curious.

do these things sell for a premium?

Bueller... bueller... bueller?

Thanks however
Julen
RIP GURU

Comments

• Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Not sure how they were issued, but when they come up, they are generally in high grade. I don't think they are nearly as scarce as many of the other 1960's Topps test issues. There was a high grade (raw) set of them that sold on eBay last year, I don't recall the winning price, but it wasn't outrageous and the cards looked prestine.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i dunno, but ive recently sold some "singles" (separated) for insanely high prices.. (in my opinion, anyway)..

i know PSA has started grading the singles, so that may have something to do with it..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    They are not test issues, simply inserts from the 1969 packs (1 per pack).
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< they are generally in high grade >>>

I think they are cool, but I really like all the inserts issues from the 60's and early 70's. These seem to be made out of a sturdier cardstock than regular cards so they are less prone to wear, plus they surely weren't played with and handled as much as regular cards so yes finding them in high grade is not unusual.
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    There was also a light-blue booklet in each 1969 Topps pack. There was one booklet printed per team, with 10 players (I think) pictured in each booklet. The 4-in-1's are stamps that were to be pulled apart and pasted into the booklets. The pictures of the players in the booklets were the same as those on the stamps, and you pasted the stamps right over the pictures in the booklets. If you lick them, they might still stick!

Interestingly, some of the players on the stamps were not included in the regular set. Jim Lemoine, Reg Carolan, and Dennis Randall come to mind. In fact, I don't know if any of these three ever appeared on a regular Topps card.

Here's the whole set.

• Options
    Are we talking baseball or football? The football were inserted in packs along with the cards, the baseball were sold in individual test packs with a paper label glued onto the wax pack............
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know about the baseball 4-in-1's, but judging by the link in his post, I'll bet those are the cards Julen is asking about.

Julen...julen?
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are we talking baseball or football? The football were inserted in packs along with the cards, the baseball were sold in individual test packs with a paper label glued onto the wax pack............ >>

I'm pretty sure that Julen and Josh were talking about baseball, not sure with Perry (although if you consider his recent accomplishment, he's probably gone blind anyway). The next three are talking football.

Baseball - Test issue, test wrapper, three cards per pack, moderately difficult, gorgeous cards (IMO).

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    these 2 auctions were the reason for my thread.

rose 4 in 1

yaz 4 in 1

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    The cards are tough to find centered and without a tiny print mark 3/4's of the way down connecting the two top cards on the inside border. Great looking cards which are undervalued (IMO).............
  • Options
    I remember having both when they came out (I was about 10 and for whatever reason my town always had the things I found out much later were test issues). I dont remember anyone in my group liking the 4 in 1's and most threw them away. So I do not have a single one to this day.

Im always amazed at how many sets like these, that are actually built to be destroyed (like stamp sheets or stand-ups), remain in their original form.
  • Options
    [sniff, sniff] I missed that Rose auction for the '69 4-in-1. I don't suppose there's anyone out here that has any they are willing to sell? If so, send me a PM. They are just neat looking cards. Recently, there's been a few auctions for the booklets those went to, on ebay.
    kev

keeping my ears open for oddball cards of Rose from the 60's and 70's.