Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

77 topps baseball cello

just received one from bbce. these things are wrapped tighter than stink on poop. first cello i've purchased in years. every card had corner damage due to the tight wrapping and the 2 in the middle were damaged due to gum. i'm glad i didn't take the plunge on the cello box...whew!!!! is this typical for 70s cello?

i purchased a 77t rack as well. i'll open it later tonite and post scans if they are any better than the cello. and centering on these boys are tough as well.

dgf, any insight on what i might expect from the rack? the centering is excellent from the 3 cards on top and the 3 on back. and the color looks sharp. i'll scan the rack front/back before opening.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Comments

• Options
    Shoot, I just bought 10 '75 cellos. Was your '77 graded by GAI, or does it even matter?!

Bought an '82 cello box once that had the same tight wrappers of which you speak. Lots of corner dings.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

That's the trouble with cellos and why they are priced lower than wax and rack.

I am eagerly awaiting the 77 rack scans. Good luck and it is a tough issue. I had tons of wax packs and got very few cards well centered.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    better luck with the rack. centering is still pathetic on these pups. i'm uploading a couple of scans now. would you send in cards in this era that were OC and ask for no quals if you felt they would grade a 9? the attachments are by-far the best from the rack. the cello isn't worthy of scanning. now on to the 78t football wax tray.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking Hiller there, can not wait to see what that grades out at.

Stingray
  • Options
    That Candelaria is ONE TOUGH CARD! Do you realize how RARE that centering is??? The Harrah looks clean also. Indeed, I would have interest in the Hiller should it grade MINT 9...or raw. Please keep me in mind.
    dgf
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    great scans!!! thanks for posting
    Bob
  • Options
    That Candelaria is also ONE UGLY DUDE!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking that, in that pose, the Candy man looks more than a little like Otto in the Simpsons.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    dgf,
    will definitely keep you in mind.

all,
    with the centering on the luzinski and morgan, would you submit and ask for no qualifiers? just curious.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    btw,
    the candy has some type of print mark on lower left. is it noticeable in the scan?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options

I wouldn't. If they are for your set, they will likely be 7's or less and for the price of grading you could probably buy a nicer 7 with some paitence. If they are for resale, then no again for the same reasons as above.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    ID,
    The print that you noted does show in the scan. A print-free, well-struck, centered Candelaria is next to impossible. That debris is very light for that card. Semingly all of the Pirates cards are extra tough from '77.

dgf
  • Options

<< <i>btw,
    the candy has some type of print mark on lower left. is it noticeable in the scan? >>

Yes, and I think that is common on the Candyman. Maybe dgf can chime in on that.

edited to add: Looks like he did already.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    That Harrah is pretty slick and has been a tough card to find in my experience. I think that Hiller is a very solid 9 and the Harrah might have a chance as well. It looks a whole lot better than my PSA 8 set card.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That Candelaria is also ONE UGLY DUDE! >>

Thought he looked like Pedro from Napoleon Dynamite.

Oops! Did not see the post two above me, beat me to the punch.

Stingray
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice work LD. I wouldn't submit the O/C cards myself. Some of the others, absolutely (e.g., Harrah)!
  • Options
    grades posted:

1977 TOPPS 2 HOMERUN LEADERS G.NETTLES/M.SCHMIDT 8
    1977 TOPPS 86 PAT ZACHRY N/A 8
    1977 TOPPS 100 JOE MORGAN N/A 8
    1977 TOPPS 130 AL OLIVER N/A 8
    1977 TOPPS 301 TOBY HARRAH N/A 8
    1977 TOPPS 327 ASTROS TEAM N/A 8
    1977 TOPPS 333 PAUL REUSCHEL N/A 8
    1977 TOPPS 510 JOHN CANDELARIA N/A 9
    1977 TOPPS 595 JOHN HILLER N/A 9
    1977 TOPPS 615 PHIL NIEKRO N/A 9

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    i've listed the 3 9's on the bay ending sunday: candelaria, niekro, and hiller.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice work. Thanks for sharing.