Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Ripken F**k Face "Error" card ???

I have heard so many stories about this card being genuine or not, and about whether or not it was a true "error" card. I'm very surprised to see a graded version of it with "FF Error" right there in PSA's description. So does this confirm it being a real card, not a hoax, and a true error card?
Ebay item #8760663887
For the love of the game
And the cards that go with it

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    yep

i think that their are 5 variations too.

the white out version being the scarce one.

crapola if you ask me.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    TC - It was always a real card.
    It wasn't on Billy Ripken's bat but someone as a goof did it at the Fleer plant.
    Fleer tried to cover it up and made other variations by whiting it out and scribbling it out.
    This was a big deal in '89 and prices soared on the card and unopened material,
    now its just a novelty.
    But its not a hoax after the fact that someone took a bunch and superimposed the F**K FACE
    on the card, I saw many being pulled from packs at my store in '89...jay
  • Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I remember in 1990 the flea market dealers had tons of the FF error cards. They were going for 5-10 bucks a piece, and you could buy about as many as you wanted.
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I remember some SanDiego Chicken card being all the rage around that time as well.

anyone know what that card was from?
  • Options
    GOOSE - '82 Donruss...jay
  • Options
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    image YES!!

I ought to get one for the hell of it.

what do they go for now? probably less than they did back then I'm guessing.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I was doing a show in Danbury CT the week it hit. I had 10 cases of the stuff and was mobbed. Sold the whole thing box by box for over $250 per box. Bought a Cadillac with the money.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was doing a show in Danbury CT the week it hit. I had 10 cases of the stuff and was mobbed. Sold the whole thing box by box for over $250 per box. Bought a Cadillac with the money. >>

That's like selling a dot com stock during the late 90s! I remember waiting at the card store for new shipments of cello boxes to arrive. I gladly paid $100+ per box and still have 8 sets of the stuff. image

It was shortly thereafter that I focused my collection solely on vintage cards. I haven't bought a modern set since.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    It was a Friday night , Sat Sun show at Danbury Fair Mall. Didnt set up Friday night as I had to truck in from NJ. Arrived Sat morning and the dealers who knew me asked if I had the stuff and I remember asking "why"? Had 2 cases with me, sold them in 30 min. Sent the wife home to get the other 8 cases. They lasted 2 hrs on Sunday.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I remember walking through a mall sportscard show with dealers selling those things for $100 each! This was about a month after it hit....the dealers weren't just asking $100, folks were actually paying that! I would just shake my head and keep moving as I picked up additional boxes of '89 Upper Deck instead. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    hahahahaha Chicken

And just so you know, there is still a very real and active bunch of collectors (my cousin being one) who still go after the Error card and its MANY variations. They still go for quite a bit. The proper term for the card is as a "RICK FACE" card.
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • Options
    It's real. Pulled a few out of wax boxes years ago. Think I paid too much for those boxes??
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I ought to get one for the hell of it. >>

There were also Chicken cards in 1983 AND 1984 Donruss.

Got all of mine signed!
  • Options
    With over 15 versions of the cad found so far it seems to be an intentional error. Many companies lost $$ in 88 and was looking for a way to improve. Know one guy who knew sompeople in UD and said they intentionally made errors in 89 and he helped get the word out on them starting at a show. ?? The FF is not rare by any means. Rick face is a term Beckett coined in 1989 to keep mag kid friendly. There is a article I have from 1990 that a widely known E/V collector wrote and thought they wrote the FF on picture used for the card. Other sources says teammates admitted to doing it. Over 15 versions and they whiteout is expensive and easy to alter but there is actually more rare versions. I cannot be specific as they can be made by hand with ease. And I am not referring to the saw cuts-which was made on over 5 versions with the cut not meant to hide word but to mark card for graders to pull from line. Cut has different widths/placement and lengths. PM me for info of if you have rare versions,showing on unopened or odd mistakes of the card. You can also check out ebay Bill Ripken groups or search Bill Ripken user names in ebay to find me or my good friend. Happy hunting
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I have some variations showing on unopened rack packs. Not sure if they are rare or not. Don't know how to PM.
  • Options
    email me vandi4@aol.com
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With over 15 versions of the cad found so far it seems to be an intentional error. Many companies lost $$ in 88 and was looking for a way to improve. Know one guy who knew sompeople in UD and said they intentionally made errors in 89 and he helped get the word out on them starting at a show. ?? The FF is not rare by any means. Rick face is a term Beckett coined in 1989 to keep mag kid friendly. There is a article I have from 1990 that a widely known E/V collector wrote and thought they wrote the FF on picture used for the card. Other sources says teammates admitted to doing it. Over 15 versions and they whiteout is expensive and easy to alter but there is actually more rare versions. I cannot be specific as they can be made by hand with ease. And I am not referring to the saw cuts-which was made on over 5 versions with the cut not meant to hide word but to mark card for graders to pull from line. Cut has different widths/placement and lengths. PM me for info of if you have rare versions,showing on unopened or odd mistakes of the card. You can also check out ebay Bill Ripken groups or search Bill Ripken user names in ebay to find me or my good friend. Happy hunting >>

It sounds like you are clearly an advanced collector of these variations. I would love it (and I'm sure others would, as well) if you could post scans of the different variations in your collection. It'd be even better if you could give us a brief description, and maybe let us know which ones are more valuable than the others.

Thanks for the education!
  • Options
    Hello I tried to add scans on another post and it kept telling me the file size was too big. I have pics on my ebay groups- 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken and 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken 2. There is also info there on what magazines had articles on the card. My ebay about me page has a list of versions and a little info as well. User name -1989_Fleer_Bill_Ripken_Collector. My goog friend has a about me page as well, user name-Bill_Ripken_Error_Master. There are many more versions I as aware of but only post info on versions I have in hand. I created enough competition for myself as it is. The rareset in hand versions are whiteout,Double Die FF,DDie FF Saw Cut,Airbrush,Airbrush Saw Cut. The three "common" scribbles are relatively the same in value as well as the different Black Boxes. Round/Straight/Glossy. Saw Cuts were made on over 5 versions with the FF being most common.-Donovan
    imageimageimage