Home U.S. Coin Forum

Removing Morgan from acrylic pyramid

I have a really nice (MS 65) 1887 Morgan that has been encased in an acrylic pyramid. Is there any way to remove the coin from the housing without damaging the coin?

Thanks in advance!
TheZooKrew
Morgan, modern sets, circulated Kennedys, and Wisconsin error leaf quarter Collector
First (and only - so far) Official "You Suck" Award from Russ 2/9/07

Comments

• not likely
  • If you are looking to sell it, keep it intact and sell on Ebay -- if you have good pictures of the coin's quality, you might get about the same $$ or even more.
  • mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    Indeed there is a way to do this, but it will require some fairy dust, a bowling ball, three matches, some dirt from the very tip of South America, cloud mass from above Antarctica and a Gnome.

Pretty much your screwed with this.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have successfully accomplished this using liquid nitrogen. However, if it's a common it isn't worth the effort; mine was a CC Morgan. If you'd like to sell it, I'd be interested. Turn on your PM.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Morris image
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    There was a recent discussion in Esylum on how to do this. Go to www.coinbooks.org
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    if you put it in dry ice you my be able to shatter the plastic.... I think
  • pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    I mean, image
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>if you put it in dry ice you my be able to shatter the plastic.... I think >>

I spent a few hours playing with dry ice, warm water, and beakers yesterday in a lab... oh, that's fun image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    there was another thread on this.. try to search the forum.
    others have successfully done this.

• << <i>I have a really nice (MS 65) 1887 Morgan that has been encased in an acrylic pyramid. Is there any way to remove the coin from the housing without damaging the coin?

Thanks in advance! >>

Easy thing to do, ask a convicted felon, hell when they steal from someone's collection during a robbery/home invasion do you think the crack dealer takes payment by plastic? So a felon would know the easy way to get that sucker out of there!
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    put it in the freezer overnight even better buy some dry ice and put it in the mibble of the dry ice for an hour

then after 12 hours take a hammer to it and give it a hard wacks couple of wacks

start there
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump for the Fugio...
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "acrylic" might dissolve in acetone. It's a mess but it might just do the job.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 20 years ago I had a slam dunk MS67 1881-S Morgan encased in an acrylic cube. Had my PhD brother-in-Law take it to work with him to Lawrence Livermore Labs to see if they could suggest something. The consensuses was that some kind of molecular bonding had occurred between coin and "acrylic" (or whatever it was) and it would likely damage the coin if they tried to remove it. I wound up selling it as is.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that I had read in a past thread that you can use a band saw to cut off most of the excess material (making sure not to touch the coin). Then use acetone to disolve the remaining material. I recall is was in reference to Lucite. Is this the same thing?

Found the thread.
  • Hit it very hard, multiple times with a hammer. I've done this before and it has a pretty good success rate.
  • MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever method you choose, please video and post. It could be quite entertaining.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    This would be a GREAT before and after picture thread!
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drill down to it, so you can extract some DNA......Oh Wait uh....thats Dinosaurs
    NEVERMINDimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Indeed there is a way to do this, but it will require some fairy dust, a bowling ball, three matches, some dirt from the very tip of South America, cloud mass from above Antarctica and a Gnome. >>

You forgot the lichen from a north-facing gravestone in an old Scottish churchyard! It must be harvested by the full moon with silver tongs, too.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Heh, 5- 1/2 yr old thread! At least I'm not the only one who beats dead horses.

So, didja get all the clear plastic off the coin?

• << <i>The consensuses was that some kind of molecular bonding had occurred between coin and "acrylic" (or whatever it was) and it would likely damage the coin if they tried to remove it. I wound up selling it as is. >>

+1
    Money, if it does not bring you happiness, will at least help you be miserable in comfort.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like 1887's are rare............buy one in PCGS65 and use this for a paper weight.image
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Leave it on any street corner of East LA...Cheech claims they can steal the radio and leave the music, surely they can take the Morgan out an leave the plastic pyramid.

Oh wait...you want the Morgan back, never mind.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file