Home Metal Detecting
Options

New guy here! Lets try this again.

Hello everyone. After much time lurking, I have decided it was time to start posting to this awesome forum. I have enjoyed the many interesting stories and suggestions that you folks frequently post.

I live in Maryland and swing a Minelab Quattro.

I was thinking about getting a new pinpointer/probe, specifically the Tinytec. Do any of you have a favorite pinpointer that you would care to recommend or know the positives/negatives about the Tinytec? Thanks.

Comments

• Options

• Options

Good to have you here Keith! Hope to see you posting some goodies soon.

I use the Tinytec myself. I like that the probe itself is very solid and secured to the electronics housing with a steel plate. I tend to get a little rough at times probing the ground and the Tinytec holds up well. I've been using it a year or so now and have yet to put a new battery in it.
    I highly recommend it.

HH
    John
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Welcome & Good luck!
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Welcome to the forum! Make sure to post pics of all your cool finds up there in MD!
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the Tinytec. I am having problems with mine, currently- the buzzer has gotten very weak. I still say the Tinytec is a good probe for the money but now would advise you to look at other brands, as well. Tinytecs are all I've ever used. The first lasted me many years, though the penlight quit working after two weeks. The new models like what I have now have an improved light, less wimpy than the old one.

By all means, try the Tinytec if you can still get one for less than forty bucks, like I did mine. But I might try something more expensive, too, in hopes of getting a better product. I would like to see what folks say about the other brands.

My Tinytec summary:

Price: good
    Sturdiness: good
    Performance: mostly good, some issues
    Battery life: usually excellent

PS-image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Hi Keith, welcome.

I have two different probes:

White's Bullseye
    Probably get a used one for about $40-50
    Works great for finding items up to an inch (when you know you're getting close to the target in the hole and you don't want to scratch the target)

-and-

SunRay's In-line Probe
    Used around $100? (not sure, I got mine new)
    Connects to your detector, sound goes to your headphones, but it's a must for deep turf detecting or any place where you know you'll be digging deep holes (in my opinion, it's a "must have" for Minelab owners)... I'm pretty sure it picks up targets up to about 3 inches.

Different tools for different uses...

Happy hunting!

• Options
    Thanks guys for the welcome and information. I have never used a pinpointer before, but with a 10.5" double D coil, I am still working on pinpointing. I have recently been detecting in places without turf, so no real harm done. However, when I do hit places with turf, I do not want to dig big craters and think a pinpointer is the trick.

--Keith
  • Options
    I couldn't live w/o my pinpointer. I have a White's Bullseye and for the most part I have loved it. However, something is wrong with the button when I try and activate it. Sometimes I've really got to press it to get it going. Called White's and they said send it in and they would have it only for a couple of days. I huighly recommend a pinpointer. There are pleny of others out there, but if you are relatively good at pinpointing the White's Bullseye should serve youwell. If you are not so good at pinpointing you might want to find one that has a little more depth.

• Options
    Another quick thought... if you live near a detecting club, you might be able to meet others that you could get out with and maybe test out some of the pinpointers that others use.

Or, if there's a dealer in your area, they can have a decent selection and take you out for a test drive... image
  • Options
    Welcome aboard Keith!!

I use the Vibra probe,but will be getting the in-line one from sun ray soon.

As for pinpointing in turf with your minelab,is to pinpoint one direction then turn 90 deg. and do it again,then do it one more time and you can make a neet little plug and find your target.HH,Tom