Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    LWMMLWMM Posts: 471
    I don't suppose that it could even get an "authentic" grade?
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Ya know, you think it's amazing that something like that would even be listed - and then you see that there are already 2 bids. It makes you wonder...
    << image >>
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    yours truly is bidder #1 on that card. I'm not doing the '56s, but if I get that card, I might just start.

Oh, and the reason I placed a bid, and that obcmark placed a bid? You'd need to have the OBC mentality - we are not all concerned by, nor ashamed of, the condition of any card in our collection. Our main goal is to complete a set as cheaply as possible. All those beat up, cut up, written on, burned, abused, or otherwise well-loved cards have a story to tell.

Geordie
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    To be honest, that thing is pretty neat.
  • Options
    Geordie, no offense to OBC. I have a real appreciation for cards that have "been handled". A lot of my cards are definite Tipton mint cards and I wouldn't give them up for anything - but at least they are still in one piece and mostly all there. image
    << image >>
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    MM - no offense taken. I was just clarifying for anyone that thinks that such a card is some sort of abomination, and unfortunately there are definitely those mindsets out there.

What I find interesting, and wonderful, is that the term "Tipton mint" is becoming more & more popular. There are even eBay dealers that use the term to describe some FUBARed card. For those that don't know, Larry Tipton, an original member of OBC back in the Prodigy days, is the originator of the term. I used to have a copy of his grading guide on my web site, but when I changed over to Comcast, I somehow erased it. Among other things, it said that any Brooklyn Dodger card, regardless of condition, was to be considered "mint". Wish I still had that saved - it was pretty funny.

Geordie
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< Thanks for looking and feel free to ask any questions. >>>

Yea...what happened? LOL