Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hockey Fans - How can you tell if a Topps Gretzky RC is fake?

A local shop has 2 sharp 1979 Topps Gretzky RCs. I'm thinking about making an offer on both, but I'm not sure if they are real. They are centered perfect and look very sharp.
Mike

Comments

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Bring a 10xl loupe and look at the NHL logo on the back. I believe that its not a solid logo. It will be broken up into a bunch of dots . I also think there is a way to tell on the front by the same dot patterns but not sure were to look on the Topps card?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I've never heard of a single instance of a fake Topps Gretzky RC. The OPC version is the one that has had fakes surface on numerous occasions. What concerns me most about the Topps version is how often this card is found with evidence of trimming.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    The name is the easiest way to tell. Even with the naked eye it sometimes is obvious, but a loupe/magnifying glass will guarantee you get a good look.

If you don't see a definitive separation of blue and white (as though the blue was laid over the white) and you see fuzziness or pink dots then you have fake. If the black border is made up of dots it's fake. The line should be solid black. Usually the laces on the skates are very fuzzy as well and if you have a legit copy of a 79/80 Topps card, compare the thickness, weight and size of the cardstock. (Any old common card would do)

As for the OPC, usually the yellow dot on the shoulder is a dead giveaway but I've seen fakes recently that had the yellow dot. In the ebay auctions you'll see some raw that have the yellow dot and they are getting returned as counterfeits now. If I hadn't louped one I would have been easily taken. I was so happy to finally see a real one for sale only to loupe it and find out otherwise. Saved myself $550.