Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

How do you do it ?

For some time I have been vacillating on selling parts of my collection to fund purchases.

But every time I find a reason not to sell, I just can't seem to part with anything at all.

I really admire the way some can just stick with it and part with sections of their collection, but I seem to have a real problem with it.

So how do you do it?

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So how do you do it? >>

eBay.

I have no problem selling coins. My collecting habits change, so I sell what I no longer need or want.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

• << <i><< So how do you do it? >>

Ebay >>

• wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    It was very painful. Parting with any nice Brit coin is difficult for me, but I finally ponied up some this past fall and winter, including a rare 1839 bronzed proof penny. image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • I sold my entire U.S. collection last year, to dealers, collectors, via E-bay and auction house. It was painless image

Now ask me to sell my British..... image
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    So how do you do it?

Dettachment. You're not going to take anything with you to an afterlife anyway. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • 3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So how do you do it?

Dettachment. You're not going to take anything with you to an afterlife anyway. image >>

Dimitri:

I think I have to take a few with me, because I'm buried in themimage3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Larry: I will be glad to take some of that heavy load in Chicago and set you free. image

You can thank me in the next life. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • 3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Larry: I will be glad to take some of that heavy load in Chicago and set you free. image

You can thank me in the next life. image >>

Dimitri:

You wouldn't like them, they are mostly Germanimage I just put in my Kuenker bids and if I win some of them, they will become some of my "estate" piecesimage3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Gods i can't tell you the amount of good coins i've sold. A gorgeous 1674 GVF Sixpence, a 1422 EF Henry VI gold noble were perhaps the hardest. But the way i did it was find a coin you want MORE.

Then it's easy. Although i sure miss that noble on occasions.
  • The Eddie VII Gold was tuff to part withimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Go over your collection and categorize them into:

a) Will stay with me forever
    b) Only part with in dire emergency
    c) Good to keep but can live without
    d) For sale or trade

You may have to review your collection every so often as your priorities can change! image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Eddie VII Gold was tuff to part withimage >>

And they were the cosmic pedigree, too! image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • I Hear ya.....My collection is all over the place. US type set, US proof and mint sets, lincoln, jefferson and buffalo date sets, World Gold, World Crowns, Random uncataloged world junk, NCLTs, and much random stuff that I pick up just because I like it. I know I need to refocus, but I just can't part with any of it. Am I a hoarder, maybe. Many of the coins were given to me as a kid by people that have since died so those coins are special to me. Eventually I would like to thin it out but is is so muck fun to open a binder that I haven't opened in a while and rediscover the coins all over again. I think if I ever decide to thin out my collection I would rather give the coins to a young numismist rather than sell. That is after all how I got started.

The other reasons that I have sold anything thus far is:

Don't really have a dealer I trust and I know I won't get what I paid for the coins
    Don't want to deal with ebay and shipping and returns......

I may someday soon put a few coins up on the weekly swap thread just to get a taste. But what if I like it...
  • I think you hit the nail on the head, the collection is all over the place and each coin is a bit like a song: times and places around the purchase of the coin rather than the coin itself.

And I really do love finding stuff I had forgotten about image
  • And for some reason I do get a lot of satisfaction giving away stuff now and then, not a good way to fund future purchases.

Seeing the smile on a kids noggin as you give them some hundred year old coins is always good medicine.
  • secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    I won't sell something unless

(1) It's a duplicate,

(2) The coin has some problem that I just can't deal with anymore and I get sick of the coin, like a coin that has too many hairlines (some of my early purchases were like this and ended up sold), or

(3) I'm upgrading to something even better

Otherwise, fuggedaboutit image
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)