Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why would a person need "help" submitting a coin for grading?

The directions are right there on the web sites, in 10th-grade parlance. What am I missing?

Comments

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    It's all in the set-up coins, man.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's all in the set-up coins, man. >>

Ah, the theory that PCGS lies about grading each coin on its own merits. In any case, the novice collector doesn't know that. From what I can ascertain, they somehow lack confidence in their ability to package something and put it in the mail.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've save my clients a lot of submission fees by screening their coins. More than half the coins I'm shown for potential submission are not worth submitting.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Gyo, while the instructions may be in 10th grade

language, most of us have a 5th grade mentality.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Many good dealers can ID fake 16-D Mercs as well! image
  • Options
    Maybe they are not a member of PCGS.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    To get an objective third part screening of potential submissions. Though most experienced folks don't usually need that, it is hard for most people to be objective when it comes to their own coins.
    To possibly save money if the dealer can add it to a bigger submission and distribute the costof shipping both ways.
    Along the same lines, to be able to send a single coin in an economy service tier that would require a minimum quatity of coins in the submission.

Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options

<< <i>Many good dealers can ID fake 16-D Mercs as well! image >>

I have a 1916-D dime that i sent into PCGS, it came back counterfeit. image , & i paid good money for it!!!!

Just for the heck of it i took it to 3 "GOOD" dealers (with shops) in my area, they all said it was a nice
    coin & offered me decent money for it (it grades at approx AU), of course i refused.

It now resides on my mailbox on the street glued to the front flap door, Just for the heck of it. image

Its been there for 2 years............................. Any Takers???????
    *JE RENAIS DE MES CENDRES*
    "Always Do Right, This Will Gratify Some And Astonish The Others" - Mark Twain
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I have a 1916-D dime that i sent into PCGS, it came back counterfeit. image , & i paid good money for it!!!!

Just for the heck of it i took it to 3 "GOOD" dealers (with shops) in my area, they all said it was a nice
    coin & offered me decent money for it (it grades at approx AU), of course i refused.

It now resides on my mailbox on the street glued to the front flap door, Just for the heck of it. image

Its been there for 2 years............................. Any Takers??????? >>

Are you sure it really was counterfeit?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Its been there for 2 years............................. Any Takers??????? >>

Are you sure it really was counterfeit? >>

Yes, i'm sure. image

I also sent in into ANACS & NGC with the same results, came back in a BB!

Everyone needs to live & learn & Boy, Did I Learn! image
    *JE RENAIS DE MES CENDRES*
    "Always Do Right, This Will Gratify Some And Astonish The Others" - Mark Twain
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes posted directions aren't totally adequate. Even though I am an authorized dealer for PCGS Currency, I needed help with filling out the submission form the first two times I submitted banknotes to PCGS Currency for grading.

Soon enough I'm probably going to be asking DennisH for directions with submitting PCGS graded Morgans for VAM designations.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

Lol, touche, Coinhusker!!
  • Options
    Well, as an example, when I sent my first submission to ANACS I followed the submission instructions to the letter (their instructions for packaging coins are the same as PCGS). I put each coin in a polybag and then in a 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 flip. I put it all in a small box and fired it off. In that submission was a lovely 1885 O Morgan that had beautiful iridescent toning, a clean cheek and fields and an exceptionally strong strike. I expected it to grade MS65. It came back graded MS62 and featuring a dozen or so tiny scratches in the toning. Had I known then what I know now I would have put each coin in one of those self adhesive cardboard mailers to keep them from sliding around within the flip. It doesn't say anything about those mailers in the submission instructions, so I learned the hard way.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    maybe they only have 1 or 2 coins to submit, and would like to tag along another persons submission to save submitting stuff not worthy
  • Options

<< <i>

Lol, touche, Coinhusker!! >>

Just Kidding, Mr. Bond. I prefer the DIY way myself -- fortunuately my mistakes to date were not too costly, and I learned a hell of a lot. And as marxbuff cited above, even dealers might have missed that one.
  • Options
    To be honest, the online documentation for submitting coins is not entirely up to date. VAMs are new to PCGS' repetoire and their instructions don't quite explain how to fill out their submission form for VAMs. I have a number of PCGS slabs with which all I want is the VAM variety designated on it, no grading involved. Do I check grading? Do I check regrade? It's essentially a VAM attribution and then a reholder (I suppose). I did get my membership pack in the mail with more up to date info but it still leaves some questions. I'll probably end up calling the customer service number to find out what info is required on this form.
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file