Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the coolest set you can start and finish by yearend...

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
...for less than a grand?

I'll define "cool" as something that will impress the present audience with your accomplishment.

Extra points go to those that announce that they will take on the challenge, name their set, and post new purchases to this thread as the year progresses!

Anyone want to give it a shot?

If five or more people play, we'll poll the forum for a contest winner at yearend, and I'll provide a nice prize for the winner.

BTW, no cheating! If your set includes something you already own, you are disqualified!!!
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    I'll try it out, as a 15 year old who probably makes something like...2 grand a year...maybe...it might be hard, but you never know.
  • Options
    If only you could have thought of this about a month ago. I could have played too, but I already have a good portion of my MS Lincoln set done.image
  • Options
    I'll try it out, as a 15 year old who probably makes something like...2 grand a year...maybe...it might be hard, but you never know.

OK, let us know what you'll be doing.

Also, don't think you have to spend the full grand. The winner might be a $200 set.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    How about a Mint Set?
  • Options
    How about a Mint Set?

Why not? For example, a wildly toned put-together 1963 mint set could easily win the contest.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    No doubt, and if I don't finish, who cares? Its not like the coins are going anywhere...(well, they are, but if its froma 1000 dollar set they should be readily available for some time...maybe...) Anyways, after homework, I'll check out some sets and see what I see.
  • Options
    Andy,

Its on

1957 Mint set !
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

I was about to say a mint set...I'd like to play, if I could?

I'll do a 50 year anniversary mint set and proof set (1956). The less than $1k budget might be tight to get NICE examples, but should be sufficient.

Might I suggest to make things fair, that the participants retain receipts for their purchases image

Thanks for an interesting post, Andy.

• Options
    if its froma 1000 dollar set they should be readily available for some time...maybe..

Ah, but there's the catch! You're not going to win the contest with coins that are readily available. You'll need to build something really challenging to win. That's why I mentioned the 1963 mint set. They're typically cheap coins, but they're not easily found with wild toning.

Another good challenge would be a complete set of Franklin half dollars in the lowest possible grades. If you build a complete problem-free AG set, you just might win!
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    If you really do some hunting you could put together a complete silver Roosie set in MS65 - MS66.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this limited to US coins or are coins of the world welcome?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I'd like to play, if I could? I'll do a 50 year anniversary mint set and proof set (1956). The less than $1k budget might be tight to get NICE examples, but should be sufficient.

Sure you can play, but it will be hard to win with a 1956 set. It's way too easy to spend a grand on a 56 set.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Is this limited to US coins or are coins of the world welcome?

The only limitation is that the set must be numismatic. World coins, numismatic literature, paper money, tokens, coin dealer business cards, anything at all. If you are voted the winner, you deserve to win. Period.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow... a pretty wide open area to choose from...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    2006 statehood quarters set.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    I would say a toned set of franklins is AU-60. The coins are large and obsolete. You can get some nicely toned MS60s that would make a nice set.

Thats my take on it anyway
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    And I'll throw one more twist into this contest....

Your set CAN include things you already own. You just can't spend more than a grand to improve the set, and you have to disclose which items you had before the contest began. Then, expect to be judged based on the improvements you make to your collection, not on the entire collection.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you could do a circulated Lincoln set.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Low grade set of 2 centers!
  • Options
    All good ideas! Now, show us the coins as you build the sets!
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I haven't priced colonials in a long time, but here are a couple such sets that would be interesting and probablyt doable for around a grand.

Wood's Hibernia date and denomination set, ecluding the three patterns, in F/VF or wherever the market currently alows with the $1K limitation.

A date and type set of Nova Constellatio (sp?) coppers around Fine, I guess. This one might be fun to tackle.

Might be able to assemble a variety set of the Bank of New York Fugios (types represented in the hoard) in some grade. They are availble often but I don't know the price structure for them anymore.

Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We agreed on the "doctors" post, so cut my son and I some slack. Would elongate coins count? We travel a lot and he is only four. image. K
  • Options
    I think I'll look for a nice coin at the coin show on Super Bowl Sunday (I'll get back before the superbowl of course!) and see what I find.
  • Options
    Actually, I decided, a 20th century type set containing MS-60 and better common date coins. I've yet to decide on toned or not, but I'm sure you'll see on the 6th or 7th when I get pictures of whatever I bought.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a nice set of circulated EF'ish Oregon Trail Commems covering the dates 26,28,33,34,36,37,38 and 39
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Coolest? EVERY Lincoln Set.

For under 1k? I'll have to put more thought into it. image
  • Options
    A Lincoln Cent type set (could probably afford a decent red MS set!)

A 1909 vdb
    A 1909-1915
    A 1916 or 1917 that is from the new hub with full beard detail
    A 1918 or 1919 that has the beard and the vdb on the shoulder
    A 1920-1942
    A 1943
    A 1944-1947? shell case (this could be optional)
    A 1948-1958
    A 1959-1968
    A 1969-1973 (new hub)
    A 1974-1982 copper ld (new hub again)
    A 1982 copper small date (A one month type coin in my opinion, they look so unique!)
    A zinc ld 1982
    A zinc sd 1982, 83 or any until whenever they changed the hub again (89? 90?)
    Again, I don't know exactly when but more changes were made to the design in the 90's

Edited for spelling
  • Options
    How about a nice set of circulated EF'ish Oregon Trail Commems covering the dates 26,28,33,34,36,37,38 and 39

Unfortunately, half the set doesn't even exist in XF. The only way to complete the set in a year is to buy some uncs ASAP and carry them loose in your pocket for a year.

Would elongated coins count?

Of course.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103

<< <i>Actually, I decided, a 20th century type set containing MS-60 and better common date coins. I've yet to decide on toned or not, but I'm sure you'll see on the 6th or 7th when I get pictures of whatever I bought. >>

That's what I'm working on now for the U.S. Type Set. Get the 20th century done in MS+ condition and work my way back (except for the few I already have). Pretty cheap if you ask me.

Finishing a Lincoln set (minus the keys) is pretty easy and fun as well. You can always leave the keys until a later time, like myself.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do the coins have to be surrounded with plastic ?

15 raw Roosies came in the mail yesterday, the 31st. Are these considered coins already in possesion ?

Ken
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a well timed thread. Since progress on the three sets I'm already building (clipped Lincolns, off-center clad Roosies, and clipped type) has more or less ground to a halt, that means it is probably time to start working on something else. image

I've always wanted to try a circulated (AG-VG) Barber Half set, maybe this will be the year I start it. Only a handful of semi-key dates, no real stoppers, and a well matched gunmetal-grey set could look cool in a Dansco. I did the dimes before the keys in the series exploded and it was a lot of fun.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Do the coins have to be surrounded with plastic ?

Of course not.

15 raw Roosies came in the mail yesterday, the 31st. Are these considered coins already in possesion ?

They are, but in this case I would encourage you to cheat. image
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Ah, i assumed we were dealing with slabs !

oh well, i need a slabbed 1957 mint set anyway !
  • Options
    bump !
  • Options
    Im going to do a complete set of Buffalos in VG. I think that would put me right under the 1000 limit less the varieties. image
  • Options
    Count me in! I will do a blank planchet type set for 20th and 21st century non-gold US coins. I always wanted to do one and I think that I could complete one for right around a grand. Plus, it will be educational image

• Options
    The blank planchet type set is far and away the coolest idea so far IMHO. I'm definitely interested... gotta think of something good.
  • Options
    I wouldn`t be able to do this as a slabbed set ( nor suggesting I`m giving it a shot as raw or slabbed ) but, doing a " Decade Set ". Like all the 1950`s coins for Lincolns, Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Franklin Halves with all the mintmarks. I aways that that would be kinda neat. Either Proofs or Mint State and could include Commemoritives or Silver/Gold/Platinum Eagles if so incline. Doesn`t have to be a 50`s set. Could be a 60`s set or 70`s or 80`s etc....... Possible idea for anybody that wants to give it a shot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file