Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Home made vs Heritage images, but who cares?

I only recognized this Ally coin from Heritage's FUN sale by its obverse hallmarks, which Heritage brightened in an unnatural way. I remember this coin looking a lot more like my images.

Heritage's PCGS MS67RD pic vs my earlier pic

Heritage's obverse closeup vs mine

This coin sold for $18,400 so I'm finally inclined to agree with Heritage -- who gives a crap how accurate their internet images are?

Comments

• Options

<< <i>This coin sold for $18,400 so I'm finally inclined to agree with Heritage -- who gives a crap how accurate their internet images are? >>

Ah, but might it have realized even more, had the images been better? We'll never know, but it's certainly conceivable that someone either didn't bid at all, or bid, but didn't bid higher, due to the imagesimage
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Ah, but might it have realized even more, had the images been better? We'll never know, but it's certainly conceivable that someone either didn't bid at all, or bid, but didn't bid higher, due to the images.

I think you're right when it comes to smaller consignments to a smaller auction. Heritage would be wise to learn how to encourage the smaller collector to consign by giving them an edge with nice images. But I don't think they care. They know their FUN and ANA auctions draw maximum exposure for major collections, and that's where the money is. Internet coin imaging is still window dressing to them.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< This coin sold for $18,400 so I'm finally inclined to agree with Heritage -- who gives a crap how accurate their internet images are? >>

Ah, but might it have realized even more, had the images been better? >>

I'm thinking that Shylock hit the nail on the head. Heritage recently sold a former Russ PR68CAM Accented Hair with their terrible show no contrast images. It brought what was at that time a record price of $1840, beating the previous record of $1610 that they'd set a few days before with another of their crappy show no contrast images.

Edited to add: That $1840 sale was an online only sale - no floor auction. The $1610 actually had a floor auction.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Auction photo;

Coin in hand photo ( Thanks Airplanenut )

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file