Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about cards in early SI magazines

I've noticed that a couple early issues of Sports Illustrated have Topps baseball cards. Do people ever take them out? Would you cut them into individual cards? How would you cut them? Could you have them graded? How would they compare in value to regular issue Topps cards from the same year? So many questions...

Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks.
<< image >>

Comments

• Options
    I know there are some that have been graded because every time I look for a 54 Topps Duke Snider, I have to filter out the 'SI's
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    I would NOT TAKE THEM OUT of the magazine. That is my opinion.
    If you are going to take them out, and cut them, use a large swing blade paper cutter with a grid and a 1/64" measuring capability, and pre-determine to the 1/64" where you want to cut. This would be similar to cleaving a diamond in my opinion. If you are off line, well..........
  • Options
    Well, this is all just theoretical (sp?) - I don't have a copy of one. I was just wondering, if a 1st issue SI has a Mays, Matthews, Williams, Robinson, etc. Why would someone not pay $100-$150 for a 1st issue with cards, cut out the cards, and sell them for what would seem to be a decent profit? Just wondering...
    << image >>
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Mucky

The "cards" are not on regular card stock. plus a warehouse find of those 1st issue SI was found in the 70's I think and they were reprinted as well by SI.

Steve

My advice is to stay away from them
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People have cut them up/out of the magazine.

I agree - bad idea.

And, yes Steve, SI had the "find" of the century sale in 1994 - about - the mags went for 300$ - I have one and they're really nice. Did I overpay? Perhaps.

The "reprint" was part of a promotional sale of a one year subscription I believe. And very nice item.
    There's a "mailer" purposely left out to tell the difference - I don't remember if reprint was written anywhere in the mag? Anyone know?

This is great stuff
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Great information guys! Thanks.

I'm glad I asked the questions - because I learned a lot.
    << image >>
  • Options
    Sadly I had bought one of these under the guise of being an "original" Ted Williams card. It was even graded 9.5+ mint. I thought I was getting a steal ($50.00) from an unconcerned seller and was completely psyched. When it arrived the first thing I noticed when I held it up to look at it was that I could see light through it. I then realized that it was a page out of the SI magazine. I contacted the seller and was lucky that he didn't mind refunding my money. Lesson learned
    For the love of the game
    And the cards that go with it
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Any graded examples of these SI cut outs are in holders of questionable grading companies.........................PSA won't touch them.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options

<< <i>Any graded examples of these SI cut outs are in holders of questionable grading companies.........................PSA won't touch them. >>

Yup, It was Pro grading
    For the love of the game
    And the cards that go with it
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    I owned some originals from an upopened box of those SI's.

I sold them individually at auctions (Superior, etc.) some years ago!

Maybe some of u guys were the high bidders? LOL!

I wish I kept one for myself, but I sold em' all!

rbd

edit: Yes, they were part of those boxes/cases that were found by SI as Steve stated. But if I recall, they were not reprinted by SI, those boxes/cases were a so-called "all-original" warehouse find. I think they were the first SI magazine issue?