Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Would you still collect if......

.....cards were worthless on the secondary market. Now, I know they would have to be produced and purchased. When I mean worthless, I mean values going up.

My answer is yes. I enjoy collecting nearly worthless Cardinal team sets just like I do the expensive ones.

Think about it.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Considering the fun I had over the weekend busting an 88 topps fb cello box, an 89 fb cello box, and 2 88 donruss wax boxes......and knowing they were virtually worthless.....YES !!!! I think the pressure of opening a box that you havnt invested much $$ in actually helps the fun sometimes....you dont get nervous or anxious about losing big $$ if the cards dont measure up.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    95% of my collection is probably worthless to anyone but me any way so I don't think it would stop me.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I don't collect for monetary reasons anyway, but it is a nice feeling to know that if / when I get bored with a graded set, I can easily sell it and put that money to use on something I do like. I would still collect regardless, but perhaps not as much.
  • Options
    So if cards had no value, would you still get them graded for show, or would you no longer care if it is a PSA 3 or a PSA 10?
  • Options
    FYSFYS Posts: 194

<< <i>.....cards were worthless on the secondary market. Now, I know they would have to be produced and purchased. When I mean worthless, I mean values going up.

My answer is yes. I enjoy collecting nearly worthless Cardinal team sets just like I do the expensive ones.

Think about it. >>

Absolutely. The first 4 years I collected I had little or even no comprehension of cards ever being worth anything. Once it became apparent that cards may have future value, it lost a part of its luster, as greed, instead of joy, creeps into your mind. Then, when I was a dealer for three years, it took a good bit of the pure joy and innocence out of it.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Not even a question for me. OF COURSE. I would enjoy it more if I didn't have to think about financial ramifications. That is, if I was just buying to complete sets, etc... I would enjoy it more. I hate worrying about whether a certain card is a "good" buy. I would rather just buy/trade for FUN. I get a lot of cards graded by PSA that have little monetary value but I enjoy getting 9's and 10's on MY cards. Anybody could buy off Ebay but I like getting my cards graded... especially ones I bought as a kid. Just my op.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not even a question for me. OF COURSE. I would enjoy it more if I didn't have to think about financial ramifications. That is, if I was just buying to complete sets, etc... I would enjoy it more. I hate worrying about whether a certain card is a "good" buy. I would rather just buy/trade for FUN. I get a lot of cards graded by PSA that have little monetary value but I enjoy getting 9's and 10's on MY cards. Anybody could buy off Ebay but I like getting my cards graded... especially ones I bought as a kid. Just my op. >>

Well put. For me this says it all. I love the hunt and the collecting, hate thinking about if it was or will be worth what I paid for it. Takes away from the fun of it.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    I wish they werent so much!! I would get more!! Monetarily, it is way down the list. I just love cards
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't collect for monetary reasons anyway, but it is a nice feeling to know that if / when I get bored with a graded set, I can easily sell it and put that money to use on something I do like. I would still collect regardless, but perhaps not as much. >>

Well put.

Well put, everybody. I think it is nice that if I need some money, I can turn cards over for some quick cash. As for my Cardinals collection though, I plan on NEVER selling it. Whether it's a rare Cardinals vintage insert or a 1997 Donruss team set (which I just got this week), adding to my collection is very enjoyable.

As to NBAfan's question, I believe it the grade and condition would still matter to most. Just because of the eye appeal. Maybe not as much though. If it had great eye appeal, the grade wouldn't matter as much.

Shane

• Options
    Definitely !!! I'm more of "hunter/gatherer" anyway, and the majority of my cards are ungraded. I collect all different year cards and my fun is finding good quality raw cards. I couldn't care less if my card is a 5 or a 10 (of course we all like looking at a better condition card), because there are stories and history behind every card. I'm fortunate that I have some cards with nice dollar values, but for me it's more the players on those cards that matter (Mantle, Mays, Aaron etc...)
    For the love of the game
    And the cards that go with it
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to be redundant, but I dont collect for the money either. I have never sold any of my cards. I enjoy collecting cards so I make sure that I never have to be in the situation where I would have to sell them. Cards are a great hobby but bad investments. Im talking long term of course. Im not a stock broker or a financial advisor but I think Ill just keeping socking away at the 401k. image

Bob
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pack rats like me don't need any incentive to collect - it's like an itch you just can't scratch.

Plus, I'm like a monkey, I'm attracted to all things shiny.

Mike
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't even remember what card it was now, but in the 5th grade I needed a common to complete the 72 card 1965 embossed set. I couldn't find that card anywhere and it was getting late in the summer. So I put out a "feeler" that I would pay 25 regular Topps baseball cards for that one insert card. Seemed like the whole neighborhood was looking for that card for about a week and finally someone got one and we made the trade.

I guess that was my first experience with paying a lot for a card I wanted. And like a dumb*ss, I'm still doing it - LOL
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Hey, I am collecting 84 Topps BB, do you think I am worried about values going up.

Stingray
  • Options
    I just bought a graded Willie Mays Aikens rookie .... I think that answers the question image
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Willie Mays Aikens, for the name, and for the memories (was it playoffs or WS for the Royals when he became well known?) are reasons why I often pull his cards and put them with my "star" cards. I like that buy!
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    I would still collect regardless of value. Though, I would still want my cards to be in nice condition as I am sort of a fussy person by nature. The reason why I collect is that I love the game of baseball and it's history. Also, it brings me back to the happy times of my childhood and the fun I had visiting card stores and going to shows. Many times when I buy a card it brings back memories of when I previously owned it or saw it sitting in a case at the card shop, but couldn't afford it. It is a great hobby and I hope it continues to grow in the future.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see my cards lose all their value, but it wouldn't stop me from collecting.
  • Options
    Pictures say a thousand words and some are priceless. You have to consider like the old school days, if value doesn't increase, the pack will be cheap. People spend $1-$2 on the lottery, what's $1 to $2 on cards for a sport you love to watch? Play-on....
    Nothing smoother than listening to Bob James and sipping on a glass of vintage Courvoisier! It's PIMPnificent!
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Pack rats like me don't need any incentive to collect - it's like an itch you just can't scratch.

Plus, I'm like a monkey, I'm attracted to all things shiny.

image >>

Isn't it crows that are attracted to shiny things?

I would still collect, but the scope of my collection-- i.e., the particular things I collect- would probably change.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This question ties into many debates we have had over the past few years about collecting for fun or investment.

Making some extra money, a living or just collecting for the sheer fun of finishing a set all work for me.

The best way to put it...

My collection cost me some dough to put together - if there were no dividend at the end of the day? I still had the enjoyment... Think of all the time we spend here sharing our stuff and thoughts...value? Priceless.

There are plenty of hobbies with no payday at the end of the day...I've said this before. I have a friend who spends a fortune playing golf...expensive clubs, lessons, club fees, travel etc. Dividend? Pure pain!LOL - but he loves it. That's his hobby. He reads golf mags like I read SCD, SMR etc.

This is the best hobby - it relates to sports - it relates to people - and we can "relate" to each other about this stuff.

Is life great or what!!!
    mike
    Mike