Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do modern cents tone like the old classics?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I received in change, three bright, shiny 2005 cents. I wanted to run an experiment to see if the new cents tone like the old-time copper cents (I am sure someone has done this already, so please tell me if I am wasting my time). I cut a little piece of scrap wood (a 2x4) and put the cents on the freshly cut wood. Does anyone know whether the cents will tone wildly (and more importantly, whether I can then submit them to PCGS or NGC, and later sell them for an Obscene Profit™?).
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not aware of much interest in modern toners. All such interest I am
    aware of has arisen in just the last couple years.

It's unlikely that you can make a great deal of money at this but good luck.

By the way, the zinc Lincolns can be very fragile and will corrode if given
    half a chance. Many of the earlier memorials left the mint with unstable
    surfaces and should be stabilized in acetone before any such experiment.

It's ironic that it's already to late to perform such tests on coins like the
    mint set '68 cent because all of these already have carbon spots.
    Tempus fugit.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I don't know about cents, but I've had several silver coins sandwiched between cedar slabs for 2 1/2 years and they haven't changed at all. I've also had a bunch on my window sill in various types of holders for a couple years. No change there either.

Russ, NCNE
  • I dont know about them toning on wood, but I have seen many that are endroll toned that are post-82. They mostly will tone a dark blue or dark red/purple.
    Here is one that I found in circulation. It has dark green on the outer edges which progresses to purple and then blue.

• Russ, did you try putting them under your armpits? Wonder what colors that might bring?image
    How much for that one
  • I have quite a few I picked up from the mid 80's that seem to have some descent toning. The were all stored in those little key envelopes and when I pulled them out the toning was quite attractive. I'll have to dig them out and takes some images of them image
  • RWRW Posts: 485
    I found this in change a couple days ago. I'm not sure what happened to it and it's nothing like early cent toning but I need a place to post it...lol

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file