Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help with Argentina please

My cat is showing no circulating silver coinage for the entire 20th century. No silver pesos struck? Doesn't the word Argentina derive from silver (i.e. AG). Rio de la "Plata"? Any insight into early 20th century Argentina coinage would be most helpful. Thanks image

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    The 1978 World Soccer Championship was rather well-celabrated in Argentinian 1000, 2000, and 3,000 pesos, unless you don't consider them circulating coins.?

ed to add: Ummmm, no you're right, too high a denomination...
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Hablas español verdad?

I have a catalog of Argentina (1881-2003) with all the varieties, in spanish. It's really good but it weight 101 Mb. If annyone interesed PM me image
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    I was raised in Argentina so have a special interest in Argentine coinage. Please PM me if you have any specific questions. image
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

So Krause is correct? No silver coinage from 1901-1950?

Gracias por la ayuda!

• Options
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    As with a lot of things in Argentina, what you read is not necesarily what you find. It is true that Argentina was named after Argentum (silver). The English name "River Plate" is an anglicisation of the Spanish Río de la Plata, meaning "River of Silver", referring not to color but to the riches of the fabled Sierra del Plata thought to lie upstream. This turned out not to be the case.
    danglen

My Website