Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1956 Topps Baseball Wax Box - Graded 6.5

I just got my empty 1956 Topps Baseball Wax box back from GAI. It graded 6.5 and I was wondering if anyone on the board has some thoughts about it's value. According to GAI, it's the third finest they have ever graded. Any feedback appreciated.

Comments

• according to the unopened price guide an empty 56 wax box (baseball) is worth the following:

1956 1 cent is 1200.00
    1956 5 cent packs box is worth 750.00
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Those values sound about 10-20% too high based on what I've paid for other boxes ('56 included) over the last year. Don't know that the pop from GAI carries that much value as few of these are ever graded. I"ve broken out everyone I've bought that has been slabbed (again, '56 included), so yours is at least the 2nd highest graded for all intents and purposes.

edited to clarify value

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Hey guys, I have an empty '56 Topps 5ct. box in pretty decent shape and I had no idea that it could possibly be worth that much. How do I go about getting it graded? And what prices have actually been realized for those boxes? Any helped would be appreciated
    "A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish" - Chevy Chase

"I have a split personality, and he is a regular SOB"

• << <i>Those values sound about 10-20% based on what I've paid for other boxes ('56 included) over the last year. Don't know that the pop from GAI carries that much value as few of these are ever graded. I"ve broken out everyone I've bought that has been slabbed (again, '56 included), so yours is at least the 2nd highest graded for all intents and purposes. >>

I was under the impression it was an empty box...that was what the value I gave for it...

if it is full...then I would have gotten each pack seperately graded..and yes the value would be around 60K or more for a box like that.
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • The box is empty (only wish it was full). I saw the price from the unopened guide but was wondering if anyone had seen any actual sales over the last three or four years since it was published. I was optimistic it might be worth over a thousand dollars given the relative scarcity and nice condition.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, meant to say those prices seem about 10-20% too high, based on recent purchases. I paid just over $500 for a '56 box (and the bidding looked a bit funny, but I was ok with the final price), believe it graded a 7 or 7.5. I paid just under 450. each for 2 '53 boxes and a '54 in the last Mastro, all graded GAI 5-6.5. A '55 Doubleheader box in nice shape went for 265., a '51 Redback box for 192. and a '57 Topps box $504, it was a GAI 7.
    I don't think having these graded really means anything- unlike packs they don't need to be certified unopened, and the holders for them are so large you can't display a lot of them easily in the blister pack. Also, I"m not so sure that the grades are that solid- the '53 graded 6 had writing on it. If you're selling raw is just fine IMO.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's