Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

separating wheat from chaff

I'm looking to sell off some coins. A bunch of coins, actually. So I've been going through my collection over the past couple weeks and moving coins from my pretty blue and green PCGS boxes into a nasty old cardboard box. It's not marked "coin for sale" or anything, but they all know why they're there. I've turned on them. My maturing, evolving eye has found something about them not to like. There's no going back. They've crossed the coin Rubicon. A lot of the coins are pretty nice, too, but oh well...out with the old, in with the new, right?

Anyway, as I review and re-review my collection, the cardboard box is becoming more and more full. I know what superb coins look like, and I've got a few. I've also got a lot of really nice coins. But even among the "really nice" and "pretty nice" ones...I find myself tempted to add some of these as well to the pile. After all, as nice as they are, they don't measure up to where I want my collection to be at some point long down the road, so why wait? At the risk of sounding like a coin snob, they just don't measure up to what I want my standard to be.

How picky should I be? How picky are you? Please help me before I end up left with only three coins in my collection or some other ridiculously low number. Or would that even be a bad thing image

Comments

• Options
    You could just send that cardboard box to me for safe keeping for the time being.image

I am not sure how picky you should be. Maybe you should share some pics of your exceptional coins for us to get an idea of just high high your standards have become and we can go from there.image
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not convert the rejects to a "stream of income?"

You send them to me and I send you 5 bucks a month for a long time. I guarantee to mistreat them during their stay so your standards would be satisfied. And I would show the pix of your NEW acquisitions to them as well. Thus "teaching" them a lesson.

??????
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate for that ratty old box to get in your way, so I tell you what:

Weigh the box and I will immediately send a FedEx prepaid shipping label. I will grudgingly volunteer to recycle you old metal for you.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    There's nothing wrong with being picky.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>How picky should I be? >>

As picky as YOU choose to be.

<< <i> How picky are you? >>

It doesn't/shouldn't matter. This is about YOU.

<< <i>Please help me before I end up left with only three coins in my collection or some other ridiculously low number. Or would that even be a bad thing >>

Not if that's what YOU want to do.
  • Options
    Schnizzl image
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    First tell us what your goals are.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be very picky or even pickier if you prefer.

But don't forget to save the finest of everything you collect unless you know it's improvable. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

<< <i>First tell us what your goals are. >>

Hmmmm...that's a good question. I guess that at this point, the best I can narrow it down to that I want to be able to reach into my PCGS box, randomly select a coin, and have it be an uncommonly eye-appealing (to me) gem. I guess that's pretty vague image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Are you working on a set of any type? What are the coins that have already made their way to the reject box? Proof or business strikes?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Out with the old, in with the new. I've sold some gorgeous coins just because I needed the money to buy some new coin that caught my eye. Besides, coins like having different owners. image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

You should become a Coin Ferengi and sell them all.

Then you can lead a life of lesuire with nothing to do all day but post on the Internet.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    as picky as your $$$$ will let you be.
    that is how great collections are born.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does this have anything to do with your recent adventure with Saintgugu? image
    Maybe something he said during his nap, that you overheard? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    I think this is a normal maturation process in the hobby. I unloaded about half my collection a month or two ago. Glad I did. I went from 5+ PCGS and NGC boxes down to 2.5 now. Did ok selling and used proceeds to purchase a coin or two that matched my new goalsimage Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I think I have 6 or 7 coins in my collection right now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file