Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Strong price realized for a tough date Jefferson.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Being a collector of the series I knew this date was hard to find Gem with Full Steps but I had no idea that other collectors were willing to push it as high as this closed. The coin itself looks properly graded and the seller is reputable. My weenzie $135.55 bid is embarrassing, what was I thinking??image

About 2-3 years ago I had the oppurtunity to purchase a 1982-P in a PCGS MS66FS holder at $150 and balked. Woe is me for that foolishness. The 1982-3 issue are proving their difficulty as are the quarter and half dollar issues.

Al H.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    wowsier

they are some hard coins to make, but I didnt expect to see that closing price

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!!

What I find incredible is that you could run around from bank to bank and putting huge
    effort into locating such a coin in 1983 and still fail. There are mere handfuls of such coins
    and apparently a rather large market. It's difficult to understand why they are so cheap.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i am thinking the price for this coin is so high due to the
    registry set craze and wanting to be #1.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i am thinking the price for this coin is so high due to the
    registry set craze and wanting to be #1.

and i am thinking that you probably don't know the Jefferson Nickel Series all that well. this is truly a tough date. consider the following from quarterly pop reports beginning in 1999 which coincides with the current Bull Market and the start-up of the Registry Set phenomenon:

January 1999-----none graded with Full Steps.
    January 2000-----none graded with Full Steps.
    January 2001-----searchers finally managed to find some!!!! one each at MS65FS and MS66FS.
    January 2002-----8 coins total, 5@MS64FS, 2@MS65FS and 1@MS66FS.
    April 2003-----an explosion of sort with 27 total showing 1@MS63FS, 10@MS64FS, 12@MS65FS and 4@MS66FS.
    currently there are 36 total with 1@MS62FS, the MS63FS coin now gone(!!), 10@MS64FS, 18@MS65FS and 7@MS66FS.

given the demand for coins, the increased popularity of the series and the constantly rising prices across the board within the hobby, the numbers tell me something which may not immediately be apparent; gem coins are very difficult to find and collectors have turned to accepting, submitting for encapsulation and buying/collecting lower graded coins. i was a bit surprised to see thatMS63FS coin gone and i assume it moved up. also, i always look at the pop numbers and deduct 10% for crackouts and unreported changes to the numbers.

FWIW, the auction coin is a recent holder not reported yet by condor101, probably made within the past year.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1976 through 1983 PD's are the perfect examples for locating them in respect to their strikes, quality and lastly, for steps! Even if there are only 4+ steps or they have a small nick or bridge. These coins are tough cookies to collect in MS64+ grade!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    The PCGS Price Guide lists this coin at $550. The price is in green numbers indicating a price increase. The '83-D, MS-65 FS is listed at $100.
    "Im not young enough to know everything."
    Oscar Wilde

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
  • Options
    ...Every day there is a different suprise....Thisn is just one more.............image
  • Options
    i just made a pcgs 65fs 83-p in december. bought it in 1986 and paid a whopping $8.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file