Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Player Registry Set Collectors thread

Hey guys,

Not sure if theres been a thread for us player collectors thusfar but in case there hasn't been one i thought i would start one.

I currently have 3 player master sets on the registry ( Emmitt Smith 3rd finest * Tony Dorsett 5th finest * Magic Johnson 10th finest )

Yesterday i passed the great MOSH into 3rd on my Emmitt set . I just started it about a month or so ago so im happy with my progress so far.

Feel free to talk about your sets, why you started them and about any new cards you add in the future .

Hopefully once i get a clue about my new scanner i'll post some cards. It would be cool to see some of the cards in your sets as well

Dave

Comments

• achteyachtey Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    I only have one player I collect and that's Reggie White. For the longest time I was the only one in the set but now I have a couple of people to compete with and they are tough. Being that I'm short on money at the moment buying a house I don't get to add as many cards as I would like. But I add what I can. I just like to see that others like him as much as I do.

Josh
    The world meets no one half way. If you want it you have to go get it.
  • I am the one and only Braylon Edwards collector it seems image. Some competition would be sweet.

I also collect Dale Murphy.
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Just reached 92.50% on my #1 Carew Master Set today with a 8.50 grade average. Plenty of competition on this HOF!!
  • Well I'm working on a Brian Winters set which isn't that big of a deal since he doesn't have many cards but it is fun.
    Waiting on a few rookies I submitted one I hope will crossover to a 9 from a SGC 9.
  • Great to see other player collectors out there . Keep up the good work fellas

Carew29, 92% is absolutely sick ! lol How long has it taken you to reach that point ?

I've just cracked the 2% on my Emmitt master set. Hopefully before too long i'll reach the 2nd spot

Dave
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    ive got a Rickey Henderson master & basic set, but i havent done much with it lately.. im not into the competition, so i just let it sit there and add a card once in a while..

i was into it pretty good, but then i started accumulating cards that havent been added to the composition yet, so now ive got a stack of Rickey's that ive requested be added to the composition, and they've been sitting here for several months and i still cant add them.. so i pretty much figure, screw it, i dont need to worry about the registry.. i got bored of it pretty quick after months of not being able to add anything..
    ·p_A·

I didn't get serious about it until last year in February 05. I was around 15% and there only 154 cards. It's now up to 189 in between his playing years. There will probably be another 30 to 40 cards added that are not on the Master that fall in between those years. Of which i just sent those off to PSA to get graded.

I think i had 3 PSA 9'S at that time. Now 61% of my set is either a 9 or a 10image
  • I just started a Yaz Master set last month. Now there is a struggle over scarce $ between my 56 Master. I'm looking for grade 8 or better on the Yaz and 7 up on the 56 set. LMK if you have any high grade Yaz cards ft/fs. Another good thread on this board. Thanks!

The Yaz "weighted" ratings seem off compared to the price of the cards. Is this typical for player sets because regular set grades seem consistant.

Carew29, you've done quite a bit of damage in a short period of time

mnstortuga, welcome to the world of player sets. I know the feeling of trying to disperse $$ between different projects

Thought i'd scan a couple cards from my Emmitt set. Figured out tonight how to scan on here so im just having a little fun lol

• As for me, I am an avid collector of Walter Payton and Gale Sayers Basic/Master sets. Gale was my first football hero, despite playing for a lousy team. There was nothing like seeing him in his early prime. Later, Walter became (and still is) my all-time favorite athlete. It is an honor to collect both of their sets.

Initially, I started out only with the Payton Basic set, and got up to #2 after about 2 years. It wasn't until about this time last year that I even started on the Payton Master set, spurred on by landing a couple of non-basic PSA 10s. Once I turned the corner on the Master set it, like everything else in my OCD personality trait vision, became an obsession. When I started out, the set was around 80 cards, and MOSH was firmly entrenched at nearly 100%. My goal was to perhaps be #2 by the Fall 2005 awards. I started picking off some already graded cards as fillers or primary cards on eBay, and searched far and wide for the rare stuff in raw condition. This is/was the greatest part of collecting to me - finding high grade extremely rare items that very few people have or are interested in. I used every avenue I could think of to find stuff like the 1976 Saga and Coke discs, the 1978 Topps Holsum and Slim Jim disc, the 1979 Stop n Go 3D, 1981 Bears Police and 1985 Football Immortals cards. Then, I was able to nail some PSA 8s on both Topps Mexicans featuring Walter. By late summer, I was just 3 cards short, the 1985, 1986 and 1987 box bottom cards. A frenzy of searching and box buying netted me some nice copies and I finally hit 100% and vaulted to #1 by September. I and a another collector added several cards to the set, and by awards day I had a 9.24 rating and was well ahead in #1. Since then, I've been slowly upgrading, to the point where I have 9/10 on almost every conceivable card, and 8s on the handful of other toughies except the 1987 box bottom. I've got the highest graded copy of all but about 16 cards, and MOSH has 1/1's on 6-7 of those.

There are probably 12-15 items I and others have found to be added to the set, and I'll continue to pursue upgrades where possible, but the Payton set is largely a done deal. I help my collecting buddies when I can to help them work toward completion in the meantime. The Sayers set is pretty complete as well, and I have nice copies of a handful of items that need to be added to that set as well. Mostly just waiting for upgrades to his Basic cards, but they rarely make it to auction. Now, I'm pondering a Dr. J Master set, and perhaps Billy Williams, as they both have cards from eras that I've yet to collect.
  • BearCollector,

You my friend are where i hope to be with my sets in the future lol .

Thats one heck of an accomplishment. We have similiar sets going, you with Sayers and Payton and me with Dorsett and Emmitt.

I find the rare items to be the coolest part of the master sets and it looks like you put in a lot of hard work adding them to your set

Congrats, Dave
  • Cool to see what everyone is working on!

Im working on:
    Will Clark Master set 81.01%
    Eddie Murray Master set 67.39%

Both have quite a few cards and I am also awaiting addition of cards for each. I think Ive got a few dozen sitting here for each. It's cooled off of late for both, not alot of new stuff being submitted. I just dont have the time to do it myself yet. Hope someone sees this and starts sending in some Clark and Murray stuff I dont already have and things to upgrade with image
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    HI all,

I collect Favre and Yount cards, with Favre being the passion for me. It will be a challenge with nearly 1000 cards on the registry now. Not to mention the nearly 4000 that arent on it. If anyone has a pile of commons they are looking to get rid of let me know.

Josh...you have me thinking about he Reggie set as well. We will see Brett is keeping me busy. I am at 20% right now. I am sure you would love to see MY (personal seat) super bowl XXXI Auto ticket stub of Reggie that I have. I havent gotten it graded yet but I will try to scan soon and post it.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I have some I started within the past couple of months...... a Munson basic & master set, Guidry, Mattingly, Lawrence Taylor basic & master and I just sent in requests for Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullin, Mark Messier, and Phil Simms.

That being said, if anyone has any of the above they may want to part with please let me know !
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

I have had plenty of help from the board ,Carew4me and Virtualizard. Carew4me took it one step further and has a Be'ochin website dedicated to Mr. Carew

Carew4me's website--very cool!!

• << <i>BearCollector,

You my friend are where i hope to be with my sets in the future lol .

Thats one heck of an accomplishment. We have similiar sets going, you with Sayers and Payton and me with Dorsett and Emmitt.

I find the rare items to be the coolest part of the master sets and it looks like you put in a lot of hard work adding them to your set

Congrats, Dave >>

Thanks Dave. I'll be pulling for you. The Dorsett and Payton sets ought to overlap pretty well, but that Smith set with all the modern variations - WHEW!!! That's why I'll never be able to handle a Master Set of anyone who retired after the 80s. Surprised there aren't any Fleer Team Action cards in the Dorsett set yet. You may want to snag some of those sets somehow. Also, isn't he in the 1986 McDonald's Cowboys sets? Anyway, for your really tough stuff to find on the Dorsett set (check the sets ahead of you and the PSA Pop reports of listed cards for a good reference), I'd suggest checking out Mike Hattley at Touchdown Treasures. I got a lot of very high grade material from Mike that is hard to find elsewhere. Best wishes ... Steve B
  • I collect mostly Dallas Cowboy Cards. I have player registries for Staubach, Dorsett, Too Tall Jones, Danny White, Randy White and Drew Pearson. In fact I just completed the Staubach Basic Set. I also have a Greatest Cowboy Rookie set. I look at the Emmitt set but was a little overwhelmed by the number of cards . 800 and something..WOW tough. I'm always looking to add and upgrade. Good luck to all on their player sets.

Superdave
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Kinda taking a break from these sets. Several really tough cards left on the Master set that rarely pop up. And when they do there really outta my price range.
    My biggest gripe is finding a worthy 79 T RC PSA 9 at a time when i'm financially willing.

Ozzie Smith Basic

Got a couple cards off a submission that just popped up today. Hopefully i'll be over 95% in a few days.

Ozzie Smith Master

• Dave, You already bumped me out of fifth on Dorsett. But I'll have to put a stop to the whole 2nd on the Emmitt thing! LOL Hey by the way, I have an extra PSA 10 Emmitt, I think it's 1997 Ionix, if you're interested......Wait, I take it back. LOL That would just get you closer image

Good Luck Dave. This will be fun.

If you get a chance, go to cowboycards.com. Marty, the guy who run's the board has been great in my searches for non-standard and hard to find Emmitt Smith and Dorsett cards. Although, since I bought season tickets to the Panthers, I'm too broke to get any cards graded. Oh, well.......

Later
    Collecting Graded Cowboys. Especially Emmitt Smith, Tony Dorsett and Troy Aikman!
  • Super Dave, jump into the Emmitt head first. You'll love it, because as you get more cards, they just add more to the set so you never move up in percentages. It's great! Like going into surgery without anesthesia (Sorry for the spelling). Besides, that it might give me a chance to cetch you in all my other sets, where you are killing me!
    Collecting Graded Cowboys. Especially Emmitt Smith, Tony Dorsett and Troy Aikman!
  • jradke, I'll trade you some raw Farve for some Aikman/Smith if you've got any! I do anything I can to get rid of the other cards in exchange for Cowboys. If anyone knows of any who collects teams (Vikings, Giants, etc...) I'll be happy to get rid of my non-Cowboys in exchange for Cowboys.

Oh, I do have a PSA 8 MK 1991 Topps Stadium Club Farve rookie It was on my second submission, when I forgot to put the label on the holder. BAM. don't write on the label if the card is in the holder. Bad mistake, very bad.
    LOL
  • shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    I decided to start playing with the Joe Montana master set a few months ago, and it looks like maybe 3 or 4 people are actively working on it. The evil MOSH empire just lost his number 1 spot on it recently, and I'm right behind him at number 3. We're all still fairly low (percentage wise), although it looks like the number 1 person is starting to add cards on a regular basis. At 266 cards currently needed, I'm hoping it will stay small enough to remain fun. I'm pretty sure Mr. Montana has a ton of different issues floating around out there.

Mike

PS - If any of you Walter Payton collectors stumble accross a high grade '76 Saga Disc ... please let me know.
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Is there anyone else who is as frustrated as me when it comes to adding new cards to a Player Set? It seems like the process in place does nothing in reality until you get a rep to work on it for you on the PSA end. I have a Magic johnson and Muhammad Ali set that I am very active in, and a gathering of others that I am margnially invested in. I love the Player sets because they take a lot of digging and a person cannot just buy a few vending cases and blow past everyone else on the list! It has rejuvinated my interest in collecting!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Yup, I have a bunch of graded Emmitt's that I am trying to get added to the Master Set. I wish they had a link that gave you the date a request was made to add a specific card and then an e-mail when the card gets added.

I recently started adding my cards(the ones I was waiting to add to the Master Set) to a collectors showcase set with a note about what date I requested the card to be added. Hopefully this will keep me in check so I don't bother them with multiple requsts for the same card which I'm sure slows them down.
  • SuperDave,

glad to have another Cowboy collector here !!

Krunch,

Im trying to give you a run for your money on the Emmitt set image

BTW, if your interested in selling the Ionix PSA 10 feel free to shoot me a price

thanks, Dave
  • Is there anyone else who is as frustrated as me when it comes to adding new cards to a Player Set? It seems like the process in place does nothing in reality until you get a rep to work on it for you on the PSA end. I have a Magic johnson and Muhammad Ali set that I am very active in, and a gathering of others that I am margnially invested in. I love the Player sets because they take a lot of digging and a person cannot just buy a few vending cases and blow past everyone else on the list! It has rejuvinated my interest in collecting!

gregmo, I agree 100%

Adding cards seems to be the biggest pain when it comes to doing the players sets

I also am working on a Magic master set which hopefully soon i'll be able to add more cards to

• I enjoy player sets as well as complete annual sets, and right now I have 11 player only sets. I'm not competitive on any of my sets, the enjoyment is plenty reward. Here's a list of my current Registry player sets:

Collection Name Set Name Grade %Complete SetRating ATF Ranking

Steve's Excellent Al Kaline Collection Al Kaline Basic Set 7.470 100.00% 7.470 7
    Steve's Excellent Ernie Banks Collection Ernie Banks Basic Set 7.310 100.00% 7.310 5
    Steve's Excellent Frank Robinson Collection : Frank Robinson Basic Set 7.690 100.00% 7.690 4
    Steve's Excellent O Henry Collection Baseball: Hank Aaron Basic Set 7.560 100.00% 7.560 8
    Steve's Excellent Killer Kollection Harmon Killebrew Basic Set 7.570 100.00% 7.570 4
    Steve's Excellent JB5 Collection Johnny Bench Basic Set 9.090 100.00% 9.090 3
    Steve's Excellent #7 Collection Mickey Mantle Basic Set 6.670 90.48% 5.820 13
    Steve's Excellent Clemente Collection Roberto Clemente Basic Set 7.500 100.00% 7.500 6
    Steve's Excellent Roger Maris Collection Roger Maris Basic Set 7.180 100.00% 7.180 7
    Steve's Excellent Sandy Koufax Collection Sandy Koufax Basic Set 7.190 100.00% 7.190 11
    Steve's Excellent Willie Mays Collection Willie Mays Basic Set 7.280 88.89% 6.340 7
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    cardcore,

I will go through some of my stuff tonight if I have a chance. I know I have an Aikman Playoff X-Treme Team sitting around somewhere. I have various Emmitts as well.

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • I have been waiting for cards to be added to the Puckett Master set since early november!!!image
  • I have a Graig Nettles master player set - a lot of fun!

Patrick's Graig Nettles Master Set - The Number One All Time Finest Set
    Graig Nettles Master Set

Weighted GPA: 8.65
    Completion: 90.91%
    Rating: 1
    Set Rating: 7.948

Looking for additions or upgrades to my Graig Nettles master player set on the registry.