Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1987-88 vs 1988-89 Fleer Hoops

Please state why you like one over the other, pricing, design or rookie cards in set, whatever. I have just started venturing into 88-89s, but before I get into deep, have been looking at 87-88s. Like the biggger picture on the 87s, but like the more colorful design on the 88s. Your opinions are appreciated.

Stingray

Comments

• Options
    I liked the '87-88 cards for the investment value of the 2nd regular issue card of many high profile HOFers. But, the card design is much more colorful and fun to collect on the '88-89. I collected the '88-89 and put together the set 100% complete before selling it. I ended up with a Jordan 10, Stockton 10 and many more cards. Fun set to collect. Also, the investment value isn't too bad with rookies of Stockton, Pippen, Rodman, etc.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Good question. I used to be heavily into basketball and got both of these sets in the early '90s when basketball was just starting to take off. I like both sets for their visual appeal but give a slight edge to the 88-89 because of color. Plus, the rookie card selection in 88-89 is better with Stockton, Miller, Pippen, and Rodman (you can't recognize him on that card. He's, if you can believe it, NORMAL looking!) In effect, you get everyone you'd get in '87 (Bird, Jordan, Magic, etc) plus more. Also, the Kareem card is his last card making it one of his most significant cards.
  • Options
    I could never get into the 87/88's. It was one of the worst designs of the 80's IMO. And with no major rookies.....ehhh....(throws up hands).

88/89 was one of the first sets I put together as a kid. One of the best rookie crops of the 80's in any sport; two of the 50 greatest players, plus Rodman and a very underrated Reggie Miller rookie. There's alot of value for 132 cards. The Jordan all star card is one of his best action shots. And a challenging sticker set. It's one of my favorite basketball sets to look through in a binder.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Most of the differences have been mentioned already (rookies vs lack of rookies primarily). I remember buying a lot of 88/89 packs back then, and not so much of the prior years. So, I started a Registry Set of 88/89 a while back, and have it about 65% complete. Not really working on it at the moment, but I like this set much better than the previous year, better design and player selection would be my reasons.
  • Options
    With early-year Jordan cards, both sets will have long-term value, though it will likely be well down the road before they again command significant attention. A decade ago there seemed to be a perception both these sets were somewhat limited (and they were, compared to what was being produced in the early 1990s), but there seems to have been a flood of product from both years of late. I can remember paying $40 per pack for 87-88s just hoping for a 2nd-year Jordan.
    I've stocked up on both sets in recent years as prices have dropped.
    As others have said, for design and rc power, 88-89 has to get the nod!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    from a grading standpoint, the 87s are much tougher imo....

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    Buy a group of about 10 1987 psa 9's with 50/50 centering and then talk to me about Ugly...these things are condition sensitive..and they have measurable borders UP/Down/Left/ and right that are VERY VERY OBVIOUS......its one of the toughest sets out there...an OC of it is the ugliest thing in the world while a centered copy is the sweetest thing to the eye geometrically......1987's are TOP in my book.

Loth
  • Options
    pros and cons on this issue

The 87's are alot harder to get as far as condition...the high numbers are found nicer than the low numbers in the set. Between borders and centering issues along with notorious print dots..the 87's are hard to get in that PSA 9 to PSA 10 range. Also, with so much white showing on the soft back surface of the cards...they tend to get rub off marks from cards before them, either in packs, or in boxes in storage.
    Yes, they lack the high quality rookie class...but there's the 2nd year Jordan and a slew of HOF players still present.

As for the 88's..yes colorful..LOTS of great rookies....cheap to fnd on Ebay (but as far as investment, is this what you really want??)

A couple of other factors..there's no factory sets in these issues...no vending...no real easy way of getting bulk commons like in other years Topps issues...or other sports! This in the future will have a serious impact on these sets!! It's not like you can call and get a vending box to poick through....so finding quality singles means a labor of love!!
    Try going to a show and plucking singles to grade in either of these issues....you can find sets..you can find singles....BUT quality cards to grade tough!!

So it leaves the wax debate....with 1987's at $800-$1,000 a box on any given day...and 1988's at only $300- $450.....for the $$$ the 88's can be had with more stars....hence the supply and demand on Ebay..with more boxes being ripped and more bulk submissions...yah, you can get $3 PSA 9's....but it's going to be a long time before they are worth more than that....so you'd better like it if you build it!! (But what do I know, I skipped it and am building an 89 set instead...LOL)

Because of the higher price of the 87 wax..there hasn't been alot of singles on Ebay...the higher numbers seem to pop up in quantity...4SC and dealers like that seem to get more than most...and it's either all or nothing..some weeks there are 20-30 PSA 9's or 10's available...then nothing for awhile...
    The 87's seems to hold better with 9's sometimes going cheap at $6-$8....and stars in the $25-$45 range.....but the low number comons and low pop PSA 9's can run a premium...I've bid as high as $45 for commons that I needed and was outbid!!

I currently have the #4 All Time Finest 1987 Set (settling for a solid PSA 9 set...have sold off my 10's to the top 2 sets)....and have been trying to build it for the past 2.5 years. It is the culmination of 12 sets and weeding out the lesser cards.

If you were to build a PSA 9 1988 set....you can most likley build it complete in less than 6 months...a little cheaper, but still a great lloking set..

So as always, it comes down to what do you like and how do you want your $$$ to work for you!!??!!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    i've got 30+ psa 8's i'm planning to sell. would you recommend a LOT or individual? jordan is one of them.

not meaning to hijack the thread.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    if they are 87's...sell the Jordan seperate...and the rest as a lot...
    if they are 88's.....group em together...
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    The 87-88 set is one of the best deals I have ever made. When the set came out my father purchased the entire set for me, including stickers for $15 at a card show. I wish I would have bought 10 of them. I do plan to have this set graded and registered at some point.
  • Options
    another thing to remember is that in the mid-80's basketball was DEAD!!
    I remember when I got my 86 sets..a dealer owed me $250 and twisted my arm to take 20 sets instead of cash (yah $12.50 each!!)...keep this in mind..
    This was also the same year that I bought an 80-81 Topps Basketball wax case for $400......don't laugh, when basketball "took off" in late 89..I thought I was a king and sold it for $900 to go on Spring Break!! OUCH....hind sight

Now back to 1987....basketball was still not in the light of collectors, and Fleer comes out with a bland at best grey and white set....
    Again, not a big draw to collectors..

In those years, I remember pushing past numerous basketball wax boxes to get to the 86 Fleer baseball...afterall....had to get those Canseco rookies!! Then in 87..it was the same deal....right past the basketball and into baseball.....Will Clark..Bo Jackson and Bobby Bonilla were HOT then.....there was some other Pirate rookie too...but back then his card was only like $2-$3, but I forget his name....*wink*

But you get the point...years later...it's hot

And there's no cheap way of going back!! It's not like late 70's backetball that we can just order a vending box of for less than $100.

To build these sets takes time and effort.
    My 1986 sets were cherry picked and I made the best possible set out of the lot. When I graded them...it was a solid set of a few 8's...mostly 9's ..but I had only received 3- 10's.

My 1987 Set has been the process of weeding 12 sets...and cherry picking cards off Ebay and at shows...and to this point it's been a feat to try to get to just under 90% complete!!

The sets have come a long way since back then....now if I can only find someone who will trade 50 Canseco rookies and 25 Will Clarks for the dozen or so cards I need to complete my set!! lol
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I remember reading some story in SCD about a kid who had three sets he bought in 1986 of fleer basketball, went off to college and when he came back the set was worth over $1000. Thought for sure his mother would have thrown them out, but they were still in his closet.

Stingray
  • Options
    I like the '88-'89 set best. More affordable for me and a better rookie crop, not to mentiona better design IMO. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    agreed....looks - 88 takes the cake...rookies..88 takes the cake....affordability..88 takes it

Long term investment...gotta go with the 87's

Stingray, you're right....I got all of my my sets in 1987 from a dealer here in MA...while in college. At that point the 86's were $12.50 a set..$15 with stickers. 87's were around the same. I graduated in 1989 and opened my 1st part-time store in November of that year. They were only like $100 then. By 1991 they had bumped to $400...and when I closed my store in 1994, they were at $1200.

They really took off when PSA started grading!! People who thought they had MINT sets soon found a new standard...it created a whole new scramble to get the best sets possible. I don't know anyone who originally put away a MINT set that didn't have to go back and upgrade at some point.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I guess I was off on how much those 86-87 sets were worth back in 89/90, sounds just like what happened to you you.

Stingry