Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ebay store... anyone have one?

Do any of the folks here have an "Ebay store" (as opposed to simply running auctions?). What's been your opinion and/or experience with it?

After doing plenty of reading on the Ebay discussion boards, I've decided to bite the bullet and open one, for several reasons:

1. I sell more than just one type of "thing". Since I collect stamps and rare CDs in addition to coins, my selling is too fragmented at the moment (I've set up one web site for my coin collection, one for stamps, etc.). Too many different sites and databases to keep track of.

2. Rather than trying to "schedule" auctions on certain days of the week, I can just throw things into inventory at any time.

3. While the final value fees are higher than auctions, they're only applicable if the darned thing actually sells. The upfront listing per item is much lower, so there's less of a gamble (a 120-day listing with photogallery is $0.09, regardless of item price). Yes, there's the monthly $15.95 fee, but the more items you have, the less that overhead is per lot.

4. By using the "Submit offer" feature, you effectively have the equivalent of an auction with BIN.

5. Less marketing/promotion to have to try and do. Zillions of people shop Ebay; I don't have to rely solely on my efforts to drive traffic to the site(s).

6. Many people just feel more comfortable buying within the Ebay system as opposed to some unknown schmoe that has a web page.

7. Given that I post large clearly lit pictures of the coins, I think that bodes well from a competitive standpoint.

No, it's not as cool as the PDF thing, but in the long run I think it will make life easier. I'll continue to post new additions here.

Interestingly enough, I posted 2 test coin listings last night in an attempt to reconcile the settings in Turbo Lister with the Ebay account settings (the combined shipping and handling preferences are confusing as hell, not to mention limited in certain areas) and was modifying, editing ad nauseum, when out of the blue one of the coins sold. I wasn't expecting anything to sell that fast... a good omen.

I realize that stores do not get as much drive by traffic as auctions do (which is why many store owners also sprinkle occasional auctions to get noticed). Historically, stores search results only show up in regular searches when there are less than 20 auction results in the search. According to Ebay however, that is changing in the next month. Stores items will show up on all searches...

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I have been thinking along the same lines coinpictures. It'll be interesting to see the comments added by those who have gone before.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    There are such things as "rare" CD's ??? image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Although certainly not as popular as the auctions, I think it's a good idea. I search thru the stores regularly. I also noticed that if coins don't sell in the stores for the BIN price, after a certain amount of time, many sellers will just auction it off starting at $0.99. I guess they take a risk with the profit margin, but at least it moves inventory. Best of luck!
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to have a store but closed it when the prices were jacked up a year or so ago. My margins as a collector selling dupes or odds and ends were barely in the black before the price increases. That said one needs to evaluate how much listing / selling they expect to do per month and how the fees affect the bottom line.

Best of luck to you and let us know if you do open the store.

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    I use the store but maintain about 400+ listings, so it makes it worthwhile. I also use inforamtion on my ebay auctionimages to drive traffic to the store.
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."