Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Semi OT- the other side of the coin

Well, what an interesting few days this has been...

Over the years I have watched scams popup on e-bay and watched diligent forum members e-mail sellers about the items they're selling and I enjoyed their policing.

Now the shoe is on the other foot, or I'm seeing the other side of the coin... as it were. I'm selling a couple of books on e-bay-one I have no doubt as to its originality and I have been deluged with requests for more pics despite the 8 I provided.

The other has been potentially identified by a prospective buyer (who is a UK bookseller) as not a true first, despite my finding the identical book on http://www.book-appraisal.com/samples.php?app_id=229 which shows the same book as a true first along with a cert of authenticity.

I had no idea how much time would be involved with selling these two pieces. It's odd, I almost feel attacked but I know its for the best.

I can see why some of the less than reputable sellers come off as defensive and arrogant, etc. because I feel the same emotions myself. But, I've been polite and appreciative with everyone despite some less than nice emotions swimming just beneath the surface.

I can now see the importance of as much research and authentication as possible, along with setting up that e-bay listing as properly as possible.

I'm exhausted...image

Ed to add: E-Bay can be a minefield for a newbie such as myself. Were things like this for you when you started? All of a sudden coins seem to be a simpler sell than old or rare books.
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which book. The erotic one?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Hell have no fury like the librarians scorn!!!image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Yes, Vol. 3 of My Life by Frank Harris.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hell have no fury like the librarians scorn >>

imageimageimage

That's surprisingly funny Terry.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Read Charles Davis's tagline (numislit). Even though it seems quite apparent he is selling coin books, he nevertheless has ran across some noobs who expected the pristine uncirculated coins which grace some of his book's covers.......

....... ah yeah, not a bad deal to bid $15, and then expect $2,000,000 in coins.......image

Forward, Laurent, forward!!
  • Options
    Forward, Laurent, forward!!

What I needed to hear!image
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't had that problem ... yet. I started on Ebay selling antique/collectible Zippo lighters several years ago, and guys who collect them seem to be oblivious - like I was image

I'm sure I'll be getting questions like that in the future when I decide to sell some coins, though, as none of them are slabbed.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    only problems that I have had with the coins is disagreements as to grade - since that is subjective and I have a tendency to be very conservative in my grading, I just let it slide.

I did have one auction a couple years ago where I sent the guy the wrong set of coins - I just let him keep the wrong set and sent the correct ones as soon as I knew about it.

My only advice - get real thick skin and understand that everybody's a critic and thinks that they are right (no matter how wrong you can prove them to be).

Ever Forward!!!!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    get real thick skin

Ok unless you've go a conscience and mine's hyperactive-would that it were not so...image
  • Options
    I have a conscience - I also know that when talking about as subjective a thing as grading, nobody is actually right - it's all just an opinion and while some opinions may be more informed than others, it's still just an opinion.

My thick skin comes from doing software support for the last 18 years - gotta get a thick skin in this business or you will wind up in the looney bin inside of a year (if you last that long!).
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'