Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

What would you do with this ebay situation on card payment?

Had a guy win three of my cards for 400.00 and some change. He promptly mails out a money order. I work 6a-6p mon/tues so my wife gets the mail today and goes to the bank to cash the MO for me.

She calls me later to tell me that the bank refused it because the ebayer or the person or bank employee he purchased the MO from had another name in the "PAY TO THE ORDER OF" line and XXXXXXXX'd it out and then wrote mine after it. That person also initialled both ends of the XXXXX's.

I just got home from work a while ago, thanks to a damn robbery a half hour before I'm to leave, and look at the MO. Wife didn't notice it so of course she signed it. I emailed the bidder and explained the situation and asked if he wanted to use paypal and include the MO back in the package or if he wanted me to mail the MO back.

any thoughts?

In this day and age of scammers and thieves, I'm not upset with my bank for not accepting it. If I had been the one purchasing it and the person goofed it up, I would have told them that they needed to make a brand new one.

Comments

• Options
    I say you handled it the right way. He/she shoud have corrected the MO before it was sent. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I just got home from work a while ago, thanks to a damn robbery a half hour before I'm to leave,

sounds like the MO is the least of your problems.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    I'm usually extremely careful with my eBay payments, but I got in a hurry a few weeks ago and accidentally wrote the wrong name in the "TO" spot on a money order (I had a stack of three money orders and got them mixed up). I almost walked back into the shop-and-rob to try and explain to the clerk what had happened, but I decided not to.

I crossed out the incorrect name, wrote in the correct one, initialed on both sides of the cross out (sound familiar?) and mailed it off, figuring that the worst thing that could happen would be the seller would be unable to cash it, return it to me, and I'd have to work it out with the store that sold me the money order. Turns out the seller had no trouble at all cashing it (unlike your wife's experience).

I felt horrible for making the mistake in the first place, so if the seller had called (or emailed) saying they weren't able to cash it, I would have sent another check/money order pronto and apologized profusely. Incidentally, my seller didn't take PayPal or there would never have been a issue.

I'm sure your situation will turn out OK. Good luck!

Bob

Edited because I can't spel
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got home from work a while ago, thanks to a damn robbery a half hour before I'm to leave,

sounds like the MO is the least of your problems.

Steve >>

He emailed me promptly and seems like a really nice guy that is my dad's age. I'm sending the MO back to him and he'll mail a new one.

about the robbery.......I work at the PD not at the pharmacy. The pharmacists got to go home on time, not me.image
  • Options
    And we all live happily ever after! Isn't this a great country or what!
    TWINRON