Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Please be careful! UPDATE

I figured this is not off topic because many of you use Paypal to buy and/or sell world and ancient coins.

I received my Mastercard bill a couple of days ago, and an unapproved (by me) $980.00 charge showed up from Paypal against my card. I immediately checked my paypal
account and as soon as I logged in, it told me there was a fishy looking charge against my account from a fellow from Belarus. Of course, I don't know anyone from there, and
I immediately called Paypal. I also immediately changed my passwords and security questions. Paypal told me to send them an email advising them of the situation, to which
they very quickly replied, telling me they would like five days to work on the problem.

It really scared me to have this identity theft done to me. I would advise everyone who uses Paypal to check their account often, and also to check the charges on your
credit card frequently.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the heads up Susan!! image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I have recently changed my paypal password for different reasons. Once you change the paypal password, you have to change ebay's and auctionsniper's too.

Susan,I hope everything goes well with the unapproved charges . Thanks for sharing this. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    We'll keep our fingers crossed, Susan.
    Keep us posted.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, and thanks for the info, Dimitri...will change my p/w with Ebay and Auctionsniper too! image

• Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    PNC bank had some of their customers mac/visa info stolen a couple of weeks back and the stolen money wound up in Belarus. Sounds like this is pretty widespread. Hope all works out and thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! I went and checked mine, and should probably do so more often. Wise words. It sounds like (hopefully) paypal will have this resolved soon.

Cathy

• Options
    AvarelAvarel Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Concerns over paypal as a payment medium is one of the reasons I got rid of my account. I've read too many instances where a compromised account is linked to a checking/savings account and gets cleaned out, and the user has incredible hurdles to get their money back.

I'm glad in your case it was through MC giving you more recourse potential. I assume you did, but its not listed....you did contact MC and notify them of the issue as well? Most of the CC companies have either programs or options that can actively seek out those out of norm charges. Our CU actually does blocking on behalf of members for various countries as they request.

Av

Chirsto duce vincamus

Pro Deo Et Patria
  • Options
    Yes, I contacted MC immediately. Since Paypal asked me for 5 days to resolve this, MC told me to wait until I see if Paypal is going to give me the credit before MC steps in
    and puts it as a dispute if they need to. Thanks for asking! image

• Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    Glad PayPal is even looking into it. Hopefully all your money is returned and nothing major happens.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    Update:

I called Paypal today because they didn't get back to me in 5 business days, as they had promised in their email. They told me today that I needed to fill out an affidavit
    both online and mail it to them, and they apologized if noone had told me that when I first reported my claim last Saturday. Now they're
    saying they need 10 more days to investigate. Sounds like I'm getting the runaround. Do they hire such incompetent people at a minimum wage that they wouldn't have
    known to tell me this when I called last Saturday?

This Monday morning I'm going to the post office and overnighting the paperwork they need, with a signature request upon delivery. image

• Options
    Susan to heck with Paypal deal with your CC company.
    Bill

09/07/2006