Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1958 Topps football-unopened packs on TV

I was previewing tonight's TV action on the digital cable guide, and this caught my eye.

On tonights episode of "Antiques Roadshow" (PBS), one of the featured items will be "unopened packs of Topps football cards from 1958".

It says it is a new episode and will be from a Houston, TX taping.

I will be curious to see who is appraising the packs, and whether they will throw up some outrageous, inflated value on the packs (as they have been known to do on this show).

Joe Bob says "check it out".image
I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.

Comments

• Options
    I'm not into vintage (shhh, don't say that to loud here), what should they be worth? It just started here, my wife watches it all the time.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I'm no authority on unopened wax, so I wouldn't dare try to price them myself. A lot will depend on whether they are resealed packs (which is why I was curious about who would be appraising it). I know there are a a fair number of unopened wax collectors on these boards, so I mainly posted this to see if they had any interest in watching--and then maybe giving an opinion about what real value would be, and also if they could "spy" any hints that might suggest if the packs looked legit.

I'm going to bust out laughing if someone shows up with some of those "Christmas rack packs"image
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I would guess the packs would be worth anywhere from $500-800 dollars depending on the series they are and what condition they are in. But that is just my guess///image

Of course the series of the Brown rookie would be much higher !

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>(which is why I was curious about who would be appraising it). >>

probably that guy Simeon Lipman.. i think he also works for an auction house, i dont know which one..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Text

I know this is a very high grade pack but I guess it gives some idea.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    high grade until someone buys and opens... then i suppose it's a coin flip then huh?

i wonder what the majority of results have been for buyers who chose to bust those vintage packs graded by GAI?

hopefully the majority were kosher.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    If anybody is wondering. They estimated $500-$1000 per pack, lady said she had 312 packs, two of the packs shown had Bart Starr and Johnny Unitas on them. Wow, 312.
  • Options
    Just happened to be surfing the message board and came across this post, flip the channel to PBS and the next person on is the lady with the cello '58 topps football packs. She say's there are 312 in total!!! Guy from Lelands appraised them at $500 to $1000 apiece depending on condition and players on the front's ( two of the six shown had Bart Starr and Johnny Unitus). Amazing "find" for sure!
  • Options
    I just saw the segment of TV. That old gal has 312 cello packs of 58 Football!!!!! They showed a couple packs - Bart Starr on top (nicely centered), Johnny U on top, also nicely centered.

So we're talking probably over $200k here if my math is working tonight!!!! mumble grumble image
    << image >>
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if her husband picked a few for her to take. What are the odds of grabing a few random packs and them having the 2 star QBs of the era? I just caught the end of it, where did she get them? I think the estimate is low on those- I think a cello with a common top will still pull $1000+ easy and the star packs could be crazy high. One with a nice Brown on top, I can only imagine.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing for sure - I've said this - and so have others...

Ya never know what's still out there waiting to surface?

Thanx for the item!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    pandrews was right--it was Simeon Lipman (who works for Lelands)
  • Options
    Tell me how this sounds-
    "Hi Grandma , it's me. I just returned from my 10 year mission trip to Africa. Anything new with you guys, I would love to stop in this week and see how you are. It has been so long that I'm sure you won't even recognize your own grandson." and then I'll go on about how I can't wait to have some of that pie/lemonade/cookies that she used to make. Do I have a chance?
  • Options
    I wonder if she would like a new grandson! image
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>high grade until someone buys and opens... then i suppose it's a coin flip then huh?

i wonder what the majority of results have been for buyers who chose to bust those vintage packs graded by GAI?

Julen >>

I think there are 5 cards in that wax. 2 are dead from wax. So you would have to hope that one of the 3 remaining is a well centered Jimmy Brown to have any hopes of getting that $2500 out of that pack.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>high grade until someone buys and opens... then i suppose it's a coin flip then huh?

Julen >>

I have busted quite a few vintage packs that I purchased (I have also not touched many of the packs I currently have)..I have had nothing but good experiences other than the gum stain that appears on the back of a card. The series that was supposed to be in the packs was correct. I have heard horror stories from others here, There are questionable packs and it is just my opinon (MINE ONLY) that if you stick with the less tamper proof items (ie. rack packs, (stay away from xmas racks), then cello, and know the source, trace it back to the original owner, you are more likely to be less dissapointed.
    I look at it this way, before I bid on something that is going to cost me a ton of money, I ask questions and research the packs as much as I can. I personally would rather not win a questionable auction item vs. win one and lose both my money and on the product.
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    What town does she live in?? I just might have a long lost Grandma.image

Stingray
  • Options
    Is Jimmy Brown in the same series as Unitas and Bart Starr?
  • Options
    I sold my 59 Topps FB cellos to Lelands at last summer's National in Chicago. I got $450 each across the board and they were graded by GAI. Most were 7.5, a couple less and none more. I thought they were really cherry but as with card grading under a loop, every little nick and minute tear drags the grade down.
    From what I saw last night on PBS, the cellos are not in the greatest shape. The Patton cello had the cello shredded. The others on display were weak. But they are 1958 which is a very tough year. more so than 1959. So maybe they will fetch a good price. I am sure Lelands won't let this find get away. BTW, there are generally between 12-13 cards per cello.