Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The top 10 modern cards?

Everybody knows that the Waner card is the Holy Grail and that the '52 Mantle is the top card since WWII.
What about in the last 30 years. What are the top ten cards?

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Everybody knows that the Waner card is the Holy Grail and that the '52 Mantle is the top card since WWII.
    What about in the last 30 years. What are the top ten cards? >>

Judging by recent prices, the Bowman Refractor Pujols Auto card has to be on that list. Also, even though it has taken a hit, The Griffey UD RC has to be on that list.

be interested to see what others state

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    Two cards that would have to be on that list:

1982 Topps Traded Cal Ripken Jr.
    1984 Fleer Update Roger Clemens
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I think a lot depends on when you set the cut off. 30 years back would make the '75 set the starting point, correct?
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    what about the contenders manning? it's $2500 now!
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    85 clemens and Mcgwire ?

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    If not limited to baseball, I would include the Great one's rookie, Jordan's rookie and the Magic/Bird combo rookie.
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    how bout the payton, montana, elway,marino rookies ???

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    You'd have to add some Exquisite RC's, like LeBron's for example.
  • Options
    In no particular order

Jerry Rice Rookie
    Walter Payton rookie
    John Elway rookie
    Gretzky OPC rookie
    Messier OPC rookie
    Jordan Fleer rookie
    Clemens Fleer update rookie
    82 topps traded Ripken
    Alex Rodriguez SP rookie
    Pujols Bowman Chrome auto rookie
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Great question. I love the Top 200 Sportscards book by Joe Orlando. The book is a few years old now and I've wondered if the book was rewritten if some cards would be taken off ( it has rookie cards of Sammy Sosa and Mike Piazza on the list, for example, and their stocks have fallen).

The top 200 book has 25 cards dated after 1975, so a list of ten would be difficult. I think you have to consider the Pujols Bowman chrome rookie, the SP authentic Manning rookie, and perhaps even the SP authentic Brady rookie.

Also a must IMO:
    1976 Topps Walter Payton
    1981 Topps Joe Montana
    1984 Topps Dan Marino
    1980 Topps Bird/Magic
    1986 Fleer Michael Jordan
    1982 Topps Traded Cal Ripken, Jr.
    1984 Fleer Update Roger Clemens
    1989 Upper Deck Griffey, Jr.
    1979 OPC Wayne Gretzky
    A Tiger Woods rookie, perhaps the SI version

Those are some great cards, and you're still leaving off rookies of George Brett, Rickey Henderson, Tony Gwynn, Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, John Elway, Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Shaquille O'Neal, etc.

Would really be hard to get a consensus Top 10, everyone will have their own opinions.

shawn.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    1992 Bowman Piazza? 1988 Maxx Dale Ernhart?? 1989 Score Barry Sanders???

Stingrya
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    If it is strictly the best list I would say you have to replace the Jordan Fleer with Star, A-Rod SP with the Score Call up or Leaf Limited, 92 Bowman Piazza with 92 Fleer Update, Pujols BC with the SP Authentic Chicography Gold /5 etc. Just if you want to make it a the best of the best. We never specfied if it was limited to rookies, base, sets that were widely distributed and printed atleast 99 copies etc.

A few cards I would throw out.
    Steve Young USFL RC, or Topps if you must.
    Favre TSC Hi #
    Terrell Davis Select Certified
    Tom Brady Contenders
    96-97 Topps Chrome Kobe Bryant
    92-93 UD Shaquille O'Neal
    All the rookies in 86-87 Fleer Basketball
    95 Bowman Best Gurrerro

Maybe we should all list 10 cards and someone set up a poll and vote?
  • Options
    My top 10 (using 75 as a starting point)

1976 Walter Payton
    1986-87 Jordan
    1994 Alex Rodriguez SP
    1981 Montana
    1984 Elway
    1984 Marino
    79-80 Gretzky
    80-81 Bird/Erving/Magic
    2001 Pujols Bowman Chrome
    1982 Topps Traded Ripken
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would have to be the top 40 since each sport should have their own top 10. I would also throw out the super limited cards because most of us will never see one.
    Mike
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    IF KOBE KEEPS HAVING 80 POINT GAMES.

HE MAY MAKE THE "TOP 10 LIST" BEFORE HIS CAREER IS OVER?

rbd
  • Options
    The Captain, Stevie Y's 1984 OPC #67 has to be on the list!
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Captain, Stevie Y's 1984 OPC #67 has to be on the list! >>

I am a big Yzerman fan, but I think that Lemieux's 85-86 OPC would be ahead of that.

Stingray
  • Options
    Gotta have the 84 Donruss Mattingly on any top 10 list of modern cards...
  • Options
    The '84 Donruss Mattingly and '89 UD Griffey are cards of historical significance in the hobby, but I'd hardly consider them in the Holy Grail class. In fact, I think there's very few baseball cards I'd consider a "Holy Grail" in modern, maybe the '84 Fleer Clemens or '82 TT Ripken, but even these are not really scarce or hard to obtain. I do think the OPC Gretzky, Fleer Jordon, and Topps Bird/Johnson rookies definitely belong on the list though.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    If you're talking about most significant cards in the last 30 years then the '84 Donruss Mattingly has to be there. It, afterall, defined collecting in the '80s, particularly rookie card collecting. If you're talking most expensive cards, then obviously it does not belong in the list.
  • Options
    Doesn't belong on list. Doesn't belong in HOF
  • Options
    as brian mentioned, not too many holy grail type cards in the past 30 years...mainly because of the lack of scarcity and the mass production of the modern market. as far as "defining" cards...i.e. cards that are symbols of this current era...well, in baseball you would likely put the griffey rc...but that's pretty much it. the clemens and ripken...maybe, but those are not as recognized by the novice collector as much as the griffey rookie. you're really pushing it when you start talking about cards like mattingly and even pujols and ARod....those cards may be valued in terms of price...but not in terms of what they symbolize in their hobby era. today's hobby is so saturated that you would literally be laughed at if you said "pujols bowman chrome refractor rookie traded game used auto is THE defining card." Oh yeah, lets not forget his other 30+ rookie cards that are flooding the market. not too many collectors know what pujols defining rookie card is....they dont know the name...what it looks like....what brand it is....heck, what the year is as well. on the other hand...mantle's 51, wagner t206, gehrig goudey, ryan 68, aaron 54...even griffey 89....the image of these cards are etched in most collectors minds.

in other sports...no doubt the jordan, bird/magic and the gretzky get the nods....with perhaps the montana thrown in there for good measure.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Unless you were in a coma for the 80's I cant see how a collector wouldnt recognize the 84 Donruss Mattingly as a special and significant card from the set that defined the decade......need more proof, see march issue of SMR.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>I cant see how a collector wouldnt recognize the 84 Donruss Mattingly as a special and significant card from the set that defined the decade...... >>

explain. i cant see your point unless you elaborate on it.
  • Options

<< <i>Unless you were in a coma for the 80's I cant see how a collector wouldnt recognize the 84 Donruss Mattingly as a special and significant card from the set that defined the decade......need more proof, see march issue of SMR. >>

As I mentioned. It's a card of historical significance, but that doesn't make it a Holy Grail.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I don't think the 84 Donruss Mattingly "defined the decade" either. For that honor, you would have to choose the 89 UD Griffey Jr RC.

The 84 Donruss Mattingly was a hot card during that year, but so was the 1986 Donruss Canseco.
  • Options
    If there was an arod card added and scarcity was acceptable, it would not be the call up or the leaf limited. It would be the sportsflix artist proof.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not opposed to most of the cards mentioned here. But I am not understanding how a real collector could deny Mattingly's 1984 Donruss rookie as significant. It is of historical value to the hobby. The only reason that its $50 in PSA 9, is because like all modern cards, it has been mass produced (relatively speaking). This card did peak at $100 15 years ago or so, but it has held super steady since then. He is not in the HOF, yet his card is treated as such.

If you are looking for the highest price cards, don't put it on this TOP 10 list. But if you are looking for cards that are of historical significance to the hobby and have retained their value very well, then the 1984 Mattingly is it. It is not in the same category as the 1986 Donruss Canseco rookie that also peaked at $100 a long time ago. That card took some big hits and Canseco is a controversial figure. His rookie is not a solid investment at all--too volatile. I still think the Canseco card is significant to the hobby, but not on the same level as fan favorite Mattingly.

I did buy the Canseco rookie because I could never afford it in the 1980's, but now its a novelty for me and I enjoy having it.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Ripken FF card?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    So much Matingly love in this thread. Are we sure its not the top 10 has been cards of the 1980's and not top 10 modern? lol j/k

I vote for the
    Matingly Donruss
    Canseco Donruss
    Wally Joyner
    Will Clark
    Bo Jackson
    Strawberry TT
    And round off the list with error cards.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I do not know if it has been mentioned but the Mattingly card was the first "modern" card that saw major counterfeiting and changed many things about the hobby.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Aro, this is what lead to designing the 1989 Upper Deck Set.

Mattingly cards have been counterfeited a lot. Upper Deck was suppose to provide a card that was harder to counterfeit, if at all.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    The '81 Fleer Craig Nettles card was the one that first pushed Fleer and Donruss in the limelight. That error was the one that led to everyone buying cases trying to find the Donruss and Fleer errors. It eventually led to the overproduction of cards in the 80s that led to the high grade cards of the '90s and modern limited print cards we have today.