Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A New Record For 91 Archives Mantle ?

Sometimes I wonder what people are looking at, the current bid on this auction for a 91 Archives Mantle is now up to $102.50 not like the seller didn't disclose it's an Archives, even though the description is a little shady.

Auction

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I agree about the description. To someone who didnt know they might think it really is a '53 card.

matt
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Title is very misleading and against ebay policy

should read:

1991 mantle 1953 archive

and in the description the seller should have again mentioned that it was made in 1991.

he states 1953.

FRAUD

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    agree....super misleading to the novice..

1953 MICKEY MANTLE BASEBALL CARD JUST LIKE BRAND NEW!!!!! (that's a flat out LIE)
  • Options
    anyone have the link available (I need to bookmark it) for reporting these types of Auctions to eBay?

especially since he's listing these under the wrong category...

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Cards > Baseball-MLB > Singles (1950-59) > Non-Graded > 1953
  • Options
    reporting link

There ya go Sandman
  • Options
    many thanks alin...Reported 15 of his auctions....I wouldn't be so upset if he had them in the right category, but he's trying to dupe people by listing in the 1953 category...just plain wrong...
  • Options
    yet another one...

link

• Options
    wth is CCGS? It looks like a top loader w/ a sticker on it....

link

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Christ, anyone with a color printer and some labels can become a grading company.

Stingray
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Anyone stupid enough to bid on that card after looking at the auction deserves to lose their money if they think they're getting an actual 1953 Topps Mantle. I don't know about you guys, but when I click onto an auction I'm interested in bidding on, I read the auction description.

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone stupid enough to bid on that card after looking at the auction deserves to lose their money if they think they're getting an actual 1953 Topps Mantle. I don't know about you guys, but when I click onto an auction I'm interested in bidding on, I read the auction description. >>

Well I think your snotty eliteness tends to forget that the hobby can be confusing for a novice collector . With all of the reprints and archives and other
    crap that has alot of you clowns running to Target everyday so you can flush your money down the drain, a new collector could easily be fooled.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>Christ, anyone with a color printer and some labels can become a grading company.

Stingray >>

Crap, if I had only known it was that easy. Maybe I'll start pre-grading my cards and putting stickers over them before I send them to PSA just to let them know what I think the card should be. Think they'd listen? image
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I go back and forth when i see those auctions.....part of me wants to write the bidders and warn them about the mistake they are making, and the other part of me says ohh well, shoulda read the auction, sucks for you !

Anyone else find this moral and ethical conundrum eating away at their brain ?
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    1953 MICKEY MANTLE BASEBALL CARD JUST LIKE BRAND NEW!!!!!

TOPPS BASEBALL ARCHIVES/THE ULTIMATE 1953 SERIES.

Where does this guy state the card is from 1991?

the word "archive" can be used in many ways. and in this case it has been.

if I did not know that Topps made an archive issue Id think this creep was selling from his archive.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    anyone report these auctions?
  • Options
    Did yesterday for Misleading title/wrong category
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Just sent a 'question to seller' :

"Is this Mickey Mantle card from 1953 ?
    That's the only year I see mentioned in the item title and description.
    Also, the card is listed in the 1953 catagory.
    I've seen sellers try to deceive buyers into thinking they're getting something vintage
    when they're actually not. Hope that's not the case here. Thanks for any info."

See what he has to say for himself ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sent them a message to stop deceiving people with the cards that he/she is selling.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    OOOOHHHHH MYYYYYYY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    Reported to ebay, sellers like this make it very hard for the newer collectors.

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These kind of auctions tend to have a negative rub on the hobby - as was said.

But I have to say, anyone buying a card - for even that kind of money must have some knowledge of Beckett pricing.

Ya know, ya can't get mint 53T Mantles for a few bucks.

My dad used to tell me many times over, it's harder to cheat an honest man - if you get my drift.

But, I still hate to see scum like this putting out misleading ads.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I would also say that the seller is scum.

But what novice collector is buying a 1953 Mantle? Im sure there are some but if you are serious about what you are spending your money on, I would think you would educate yourself a bit first. If you don't then you cant be too swift.

The buyer must still beware. Are there really people who think that there are NO scams on ebay? How could you NOT read the description carefully when making a purchase like that?

I'm never sure whether to be disgusted with the seller or disgusted with the bidder...I guess some of both.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a replay that said and I quote "hey listen i didn't know it was a reprint". So I replied back and told him "you do now so how come the auction has not been revised?"

No response to that.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

His response to me :
    "listen men I would never ever do such thing I just write down what was on the card I didn't know it was a reprint"

We could have worlds colliding here. Idiot seller meets idiot buyer. Everyone ends up happy ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    And now we also have a bidder that has zero feedback and just joined ebay within the last 3 days in the mix.

seller is sleazyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    I guess if I don't care for a "collector" who bids on auctions they don't even read makes me elitest, I'm elitest.

Just like everyone else, I'm against scammers, but at the same time, if a scammer sells some idiot the Brooklyn Bridge, the buyer of the damn bridge deserves to have his money taken from him! image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!