Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay may finally be forced to deal with scams.

Tiffany

Looks like Tiffany & Co just sued Ebay for allow counterfeit Tiffany merchandise to be sold on their sites and making a profit from it (thru fees). If Tiffany wins, it may force Ebay to take responsibility for scams.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    How great would that be !?!?!

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    No way Tiffany wins. Where do you draw the line? How is Ebay different than newspaper classified ads? Fleamarkets? Etc....? Come on. Ebay should have reasonable precautions in place and I think they do. They are not perfect but they have reasonable precautions. I predict Ebay wins.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Tiffany's main point is that Ebay actually shares in the profits from the illegal sale. Unlike a flea market or classified ad, Ebay isn't merely charging a fee to use space, they are taking a % of the proceeds. It's far from certain, but I'm sure Tiffany hired a smart lawyer to give it a shot.
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> think Tiffany's main point is that Ebay actually shares in the profits from the illegal sale >>

This could be construed entirely in a different manner - they do not share in profits but rather require a "graduated" fee schedule based on the amount of the sale for putting up ones ad.

This is nothing new - remember when lawsuits were brought against ebay for allowing the sale of fake memorabilia?

In the end, ebay is a tremendously sophisticated bulletinboard with a house of high priced lawyers like Denny Crane in their defense.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    It's a very fine line.

Should SCD be held liable if you bought a trimmed card from an advertiser? Would a show promoter be held liable if you bought a fake autograph at a show?

Their precautions aren't stellar....but I don't see the legal case against them.