Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

9 OC A good value?

As of late I have picked up 2 cards for my set that were graded 9 OC for less then the cost of the same card in a 7. Below I have scanned the latest example. Do any of you guys also feel that certain 9 OC's are a good value?

This example of Walt Bond was IMO submitted with a no qualifier request and got the straight 7 grade.

I would also possibly like, but have never seen a card graded 9 ST as the wax stain at times can be barely seen

Has anyone ever seen a 9 ST card?

Steve
Good for you.

Comments

• Options
    There are several 1950's cards Kaline cards that I buy in 9 OC. Generally I feel comfortable at the PSA 7 range, but have paid as high as the average of PSA 7 and PSA 8. The last one that I bought was a 1956 Kaline for $165 where Psa 7 was $90; PSA 8 was $260. I know that SMR is only a guide, however, I have yet to see a 1950's Kaline PSA 9 with no qualifers sell under SMR.
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    That Krausse isnt off center that poorly...nice card.

I havnt picked up any 9 oc cards but I did pick up a few 9 pd with the slightest of imperfections, certainly no more than are found on many nq cards, and not enough to detract one iota from eye appeal.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone ever seen a 9 ST card? >>

Yes, I had one recently. It was a Jordan RC Sticker from 86 Fleer. I can't believe I didn't notice the tiny bit of wax on the reverse side. Other than that, the card was a gem. Best one I've seen up close. The guy who bought it on Ebay got a nice deal.
  • Options
    With OC cards it's all in the eye appeal. Those 2 cards are gorgeous and barely OC. If you don't mind the qualfier, 9 OC are a great value for the money.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Nice Cards, But I have to wonder what ole' Walt was smokin before they took that shot?

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    I am one of the few that would rather have a card with razor sharp edges and perfect corners in exchange for perfect centering. To me, such a card has the pack fresh appeal. I have seen tons of ugly vintage cards that were PSA 7 and well centered but to me can't touch the appeal of a PSA 9 OC or even an off-center, otherwise perfect looking PSA 7. Last night's Andy Madec 1955 Topps auctions are a perfect example. Some of the ugliest 7's I have ever seen, yet many commanded top dollar.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

The card being off center actually helps the eye appeal of the Krausse card for me.

If the picture on a card is centered to the left, I prefer more border on the left for balance.

Likewise, if the picture on a card is centered to the right, I prefer more border on the right for balance.

Hmmm ... 'balance' ... Beckett could add another sub-catagory to their holders ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    9 oc is just fine with me for a reasonable price.Anyone have any 59 9oc they want to sell off???
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I am happy with any card that may be OC if its not so far OC that it takes away from it's eye appeal. It helps the wallet greatly too! My cards are not so much for investment anyway so as long as my eyes are pleased with the appearance I will add it to my collection.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

I have a fondness for 9OC cards too. image
  • Options
    The Ashburn doesnt even look off centered! Very nice cards!
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!