Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

The life of a Canadian fish scale

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
These Canadian 5c silvers are really thin and have been given the nickname 'fish scales'. It is a shame this one is bent. It is one of the two key dates (the other is 1884) not counting the melted 1921. This coin would grade a no question Fine ($300 coin) if it wasn't bent. I was told by an old Canadian dealer that these coins were used as screwdrivers in a pinch.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• I've used a U.S. dime as a screwdriver many times, but only in my adult years, well after we went off the silver standard. The modern U.S. clad coins are very strong and the dime survives well as a screwdriver. I can see how silver would bend and get scuffed.

Congrats on the key date, BTW.
    Life got you down? Listen to John Coltrane.
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Cool coin Don I didn't know these were refered to as fish scales. Shame it's a wee bent but still a good one. Congratsimage
  • It is bad to see a key date to be bent like that. I saw a 1875H 25C in EF was holded few weeks ago at my local store.

Still a nice coin tho.

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's my 1875 H large date. OUCH x 2!! Would like nice on Lord Marcovan's vest, yes?

Bought this $1200 coin many years ago for $80, darn near cried when I 1st saw it.

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Cool!

Fish scales are highly prized by Canadian detectorist as they are tiny and tough for a detector to read.
    Here is a later dated one that I was blessed with finding at a local park last year.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gene, that's just ain't right. What a coin without the holes.

Nice find goldrush.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been informed that this is a Large Date 1875-H.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don