Home Sports Talk
Options

All-Time Super Bowl Knucklehead Award

As Super Bowl XL draws near, my vote for all-time Super Bowl Knucklehead goes to Eugene Robinson who got busted for soliciting an undercover cop posing as a hooker on the eve of Super Bowl XXXIII.

The thing that made Robinson's move my number one knucklehead moment, was the fact that hours before being handcuffed, Robinson had received the Bart Starr Award as the NFL player demonstrating the "highest moral character" and acting as a role-model for the nation's youth.

Bengals' RB Stanley Wilson's pregame coke binge came in a close second, but Eugene is the Super Bowl's all-time knucklehead in my book.

Comments

• Options
    Didn't Barrett Robbins of the Raiders have an AWOL incident also?
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    On field-wise, who was the player that showboated his way to the end zone, only to get run down and caught at the last minute? I can't remember, but didn't he play for Dallas?
  • Options
    Leon Lett.

Don Beebe caught him on the 1, knocking the ball out of his extended hand. turned a long TD into a safety I think
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Yes - that was it! I always think of that play when someone mentions boneheaded plays in the Super Bowl.
  • Options
    Considering Beebe caught him from like 20 yards out, it was pretty impressive on Beebe's part and became the legacy of Leon Lett. Lett was also the guy during that Thanksgiving Day game that touched the ball after the blocked field goal, which was recovered by the field goal kicking team which led to a Cowboys loss, if I'm not mistaken.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Considering Beebe caught him from like 20 yards out, it was pretty impressive on Beebe's part and became the legacy of Leon Lett. Lett was also the guy during that Thanksgiving Day game that touched the ball after the blocked field goal, which was recovered by the field goal kicking team which led to a Cowboys loss, if I'm not mistaken. >>

You're correct. It was on Thanksgiving Day, in the snow, against the Dolphins.

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Considering Beebe caught him from like 20 yards out, it was pretty impressive on Beebe's part and became the legacy of Leon Lett. Lett was also the guy during that Thanksgiving Day game that touched the ball after the blocked field goal, which was recovered by the field goal kicking team which led to a Cowboys loss, if I'm not mistaken. >>

You're correct. It was on Thanksgiving Day, in the snow, against the Dolphins.

Steve >>

I thought it was against the Dolphins, but the snow threw me off image

• Options
    <<turned a long TD into a safety I think >>

I think they called it a touchback because the ball got knocked into the endzone and out of bounds so Buffalo got the ball on the "20." I'll have to watch the highlights tonight. image

My vote would have to go to Ickey Woods early no show for the Bengals when they played the 49'ers the second time in SB XXIII (if memory serves). Or possibly, Thurman Thomas' missing/lost helmet before one of the Superbowls against Dallas. Not sure which one. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    My vote goes to Mike Ditka for giving the ball to William Perry in Superbowl XX for the touchdown. Walter Payton was overlooked for that play and never got to score a touchdown in a Superbowl his entire HOF career.

Even Mike Ditka regrets it now.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options

<< <i>My vote goes to Mike Ditka for giving the ball to William Perry in Superbowl XX for the touchdown. Walter Payton was overlooked for that play and never got to score a touchdown in a Superbowl his entire HOF career.

Even Mike Ditka regrets it now. >>

That gets my vote. Payton surely deserved the TD. The best back ever and an even better man.

My next is Thurman Thomas misplacing his helmet on the first offensive play in one of the Bills SBs.