Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Lincoln Registry Set Question

Hi All,
My Lincoln Memorial set is complete and I would like to improve my Lincoln basic set 1909-Present. We
all know the ms wheaties are a very expensive and long term project. But I have become impatient in
acquiring these coins. Seems like I can only add a coin every now and then. Geeze, I feel like I'll die
before I own a really nice set in this Registry category. Here's my question. Is it wise to add wheaties
in lower grades like AU, XF, or MS62RB just to inch toward completion? You may know this isn't the real
deal but at least your set has one. Then you upgrade when you can. Or is it wiser to just add dates you're happy with but at a very slow pace? I, very much, need to resolve this and overcome my impatience. I'd
like to hear from members that have experienced this, or maybe you just have an opinion that could help
sway me. Thanks for any opinions because I'm ready to add lower graded coins or be patient and add
coins I like at a very slow pace.

RegistryNut image
My Set 1909-Present

Comments

• For me, it comes down to a pretty simple analysis. Are you trying to complete the collection for the sake registry and to see how "high" you can get on the list? If so, the answer is simple. To get in the top 20 quickly, just complete the set. You get much more credit for a complete set with some lower grades than an incomplete set with higher grades.
    In contrast, if you have a goal of completing the set with all 65RD or higher (except 26-S) then it really makes no sense to buy lesser grades.
    Of course, it's just an opinion,

Jack

• I am facing something similar also with Lincolns. I decided to finish my Dansco album which is all nice red
    mint state coins. Now that I only have the mint marked coins from 09 to the late 20's left I think I'll have
    to sacrifice grade slightly and/or go to red brown to continue and keep it affordable.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to also look at a budget. That will dictate what you can afford and how many coins you should be able to acquire over a given number of years. I hear your pain. I sit amazed at what common dated Lincolns go for these days. If I had to start today, I can guarantee you I would not be able to even afford my own collection which has a grade min of 63 R&B. My set is still not all red and common dates are not even MS 65 (like 1920). You should be able to get the job done with MS Brown examples in all grades. And then start the upgrading process. Try to do it before 2009!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

• << <i>Or is it wiser to just add dates you're happy with but at a very slow pace >>

Yes!! I've slowed down tremendously. I'm pretty much adding 2 coins a year now, but the 2 I add are like super nice mintmarked ms65rd's! It used to be that prices went up so quickly you could sell whatever you had upgraded for a profit, but it is not like that at all anymore.
  • I had to complete the set just because it was bugging the heck out of me knowing I was 1 coin shy, so I bit the bullet and picked up the coin. The downside is, you still want to upgrade the coin and once you do you need to sell the other coin. My approach for my half dime set is "just buy it once". It is hard to be patient and it gets frustrating but once I get the hole filled I don't need to refill it (unless a really nice one comes along).

So.... Be happy and go slow, you bank account will thank you.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registrynut:

Great post...As I read these responses, I have to look at my own situation in the Roosevelt series.

I was collecting Roosevelts BEFORE the Full Band designation and I was chasing the slab and not the coin. Hence forth when PCGS gave all of us registry collectors free reviews, I found myself with a measly 12% FB in my set, but I was at 89% and in 7th place. I kept all of those and sold off the rest. I decided at that time I would add only FB dimes of the highest grade I could afford. I'm now UP to 20th place and have the highest GPA of any top 20 set, including Justhavingfun's set. Could I COMPLETE the set...sure I can, but I would lose my set rating which means more too me then being #2 or #3 in the standings.

I too feel ur pain! I really do. You add only 1-2 coins a year and it is frustrating, slow and boring. I myself have added maybe 3 dimes in the last 9-12 months. On top of that, for every person searching for clad Roosies, there are about 50 searching for Lincolns!

Read Wayne Herndon's description in his Lincoln set...he says it best!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Thanks for the great responses. Obviously there are collectors who sacrifice grade for completion and
    there are those who will only acquire the desired grade. Jack summed it up perfect. This is an individual
    decision based on the collectors goal. So now I believe the main factor to consider is my personal goal.
    I have decided to acquire the coins I need in lower grades as long as I like the coin. Because my goal has
    always been to simply own coins that I like. Why should I care if my set contains a brown coin or an AU?
    I should only care that I like the coin and it's part of a set that I call "mine". So I say bring on those pretty
    brownies and AUs.

RegistryNut
  • Oh, I'd like to add one more thing. Part of the enjoyment I get from collecting is the thrill of the hunt.
    It's fun browsing auctions like Heritage, Teletrade, and especially Ebay. It's fun constantly watching
    the BST forum and having friends contact you about a coin you need. But if I limit myself to ms wheaties,
    that cost thousands, most of the hunt is financially eliminated. Who wants to hunt coins that you can't
    buy. OK I'm done. Thanks for listening.

RegistryNut image