Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Can you feel the excitement Part 3...The 60th anniv. of our Roosevelt dime!

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
Today is President F. Roosevelt's birthday, and the 60th anniversary of everyone's favorite dime, the Roosevelt dime. image

I've been collecting coins since I was a child, 30+ years, and this has turned out to be my favorite coin by far. I am constantly thinking about them, looking for them, checking out the ones I get in my change (Hoping I can find that 82-No/P) and of course thinking of ways to add to my collection.

I would like to personally thank Onlyroosies, Wondercoin, Date-n-type, Glen Gardner, and others for obtaining the few gems that I have in my collections. They mean soooooo much to me. I would also like to say to Justhavingfun that you should NEVER feel bad for having a set that is ranked so high that it is unobtainable, because if you fall asleep at the wheel, you may just get passed! image

Does anyone here that collects have any wonderful Roosie stories that they could share?

image Happy birthday Roosie image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In mid-1975 I was working at a small grocery when we discovered we were fast running
    out of dimes and nickels so I needed to make a run to the bank for more. Among these
    rolls were 5 rolls of very nice bankwrapped 69-D's. I had only been collecting clad for three
    years at that time which was ever since the FED had announced they were switching over
    to FIFO accounting. This meant the first coins in would be the first out as one of the re-
    quirements of this type of accounting. No more would pallets of brand new coin get lost
    in a corner of a warehouse to appear many years later. In those days it took years for
    the inventory of the FED to completely roll over so here were 5 rolls of pristine '69-D dimes
    even three years later.

The '69-D is relatively available in original rolls. This means that with great effort you can
    locate one or two rolls but it's most unusual to find clean and well struck examples like
    these. It would be surprising if there are even a thousand rolls of this date and this is
    one of the more common ones.

It got too busy for me to get back to the bank but by using nickels and asking for correct
    change I was able to build up the change drawers enough to buy the dimes. When I went
    back to the bank the next day there were no more.
    Tempus fugit.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul: Thank you for the kind words. It is a great coin series - what a future these coins have!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    When I was young everyone was caught up in the BU roll and bag mania. This didn't
    get crazy until '63 or so and was all over by the end of '65 but I guess I got the bug a
    little early. In about 1960, I set aside much of my entire fortune in brand new silver coins
    of as great a vintage as easily obtainable. Unfortunately I wanted some quantity as well
    so this meant I stashed aside 7 or 8 beautiful new 1958 dimes. These were wrapped in
    aluminum foil and hidden. Unfortunately by the time I was ready to recover them their
    exact location eluded me. I still poke around a little for them but it looks like I'll never
    find them and my early fortune is lost.
    Tempus fugit.
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was never much of a Roosie fan, but I have a complete raw MS silver set, and quite a few duplicates. I didn't begin acquiring BU rolls of coins until the late '60's, after the boom that Cladking refers to had burst. By then, clad coins were being minted, but no one I knew wanted rolls of them. I saw my first original bankwrapped clad roll of Roosies in 1971, and that was a roll of 1969-D's, the same date Cladking found years after their issue. They were the best-looking clad dimes I'd ever seen - well struck, lustrous, and chrome-like in appearance. I stashed them away, and still have them. The only other roll of clad dimes I've ever owned is the 1974-D. Neither is very valuable, but unscrewing the top off one of those rolls is like opening up a time capsule.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Uuhh, well.....I really don't like roosies so I don't have any stories........

BUT I do have some stories about roosie collectors.... Once upon a time there was a young California boy named "Nick" who ......Craig can fill in the rest!!!!

Roosie guys are the BEST!!!!!!
    imageimageimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to bog down this thread with all my Roosie stories. I started collecting this series in 1989.
    Over a 10 year period I was battling for NGC MS68 Roosies. Over that time period I had aquired over
    40, only to find out 12 years later it was rainbowroosie I was battling with. 10 or so of those original
    NGC Roosies now reside in PCGS holders.....
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what makes this registry great. All of these wonderful stories brought together regarding everyone's favorite little disc!

Thanks for honoring President Roosevelt and his Dime. Gosh, I feel like the unofficial Roosie ambassador.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Who among us could ever forget this?

<< <i>Yesterday, December 7, 1941 -- a date which will live in infamy -- the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan. >>

A tough time to be President.

Thanks president Roosevelt.
    Dan
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Does anyone here that collects have any wonderful Roosie stories that they could share?"

I'll share a bit of "gossip" - the proposed reweighting of the entire 1946-date Roosie "FB's" are well underway. Nick came out here earlier this week for a meeting with me with every new proposed draft weight outlined for 1946-date. I shared my thoughts on the coins (and, in particular, a concept Nick really liked) and Nick is reworking the weights on a number of the dates. I expect by Long Beach or shortly thereafter, there will be a fabulous weight chart available for the entire Roosie Dime series. It will be "night and day" with the present FB weights. Nick should be commended on "taking the bull by the horns" and putting in a great deal of time to create such a wonderful chart for Roosie collectors.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really thought the mint should have done a special reverse for 1982 which was the FDR Centennial... that was a big, big mistake

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

<< <i>I really thought the mint should have done a special reverse for 1982 which was the FDR Centennial... that was a big, big mistake >>

Hey, they left the "P" for Polio off some of them. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill, Nick and Craig got me hooked.

So, in honor of the 60th birthday, and their contributions to the coin:

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll share a bit of "gossip" - the proposed reweighting of the entire 1946-date Roosie "FB's" are well underway. Nick came out here earlier this week for a meeting with me with every new proposed draft weight outlined for 1946-date. I shared my thoughts on the coins (and, in particular, a concept Nick really liked) and Nick is reworking the weights on a number of the dates. I expect by Long Beach or shortly thereafter, there will be a fabulous weight chart available for the entire Roosie Dime series. It will be "night and day" with the present FB weights. Nick should be commended on "taking the bull by the horns" and putting in a great deal of time to create such a wonderful chart for Roosie collectors. >>

Thanks for pointing this out to us Mitch.
    I have thanked Nick many times, not only for super coins bought from him, but for the helpful advice he gives so freely.
    And now hearing of his latest endeavor towards the Roosie registry sets, I wish to again express my gratitude to him. Thanks Nick.

I hope the 1969 gets the respect it deserves and gets a 3 point weight. And the 1983-D, the only coin from the non-mintset years with a weight of 1, needs to be a 2 point weight.

The above is only my opinion, and so only has a weight of 1. image
    Dan
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

• Some cool & great stories here. This site is pretty nice. One could get lost in a story or 2 if they are fans of coins or trading cards...

Abandon All Hope-Ye Who Enters Here...Dante Alighieri

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:
    When I was young everyone was caught up in the BU roll and bag mania. This didn't
    get crazy until '63 or so and was all over by the end of '65 but I guess I got the bug a
    little early. In about 1960, I set aside much of my entire fortune in brand new silver coins
    of as great a vintage as easily obtainable. Unfortunately I wanted some quantity as well
    so this meant I stashed aside 7 or 8 beautiful new 1958 dimes. These were wrapped in
    aluminum foil and hidden. Unfortunately by the time I was ready to recover them their
    exact location eluded me. I still poke around a little for them but it looks like I'll never
    find them and my early fortune is lost.

Cladking....did you ever find those aluminum wrapped Roosie's?