Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Attempted an acetone bath to remove haze ...

... it does not appear to have eliminated the problem. Purchased a Canadian ($1, 1972) PCGS MS 67 (OGH) for $15 a few days ago - looked to be a nicely toned coin. Got it, liked it, but there was haze obstructing a view of the obverse (the reverse was sans haze). Having read about acetone eliminating haze, I cracked the coin out and gave it a 5 min acetone bath (freshly opened pint can purchased from Lowe's, outdoors, about 45 degrees F). Not satisfied with the effect, I changed the acetone and soaked for an additional 120 minutes. Pulled the coin out of the acetone, rinsed in warm tap water (30 sec), and then in filtered water (30 sec). Placed on a clean, soft terry-cloth hand towel (don't tell my wife), folded it over, gently patted the coin "dry" and then let it air dry. The haze remains. Metal composition is 0.500 silver (I'm guessing the rest is nickel); 36 mm diameter. I've included post treatment photos for you to consider - these are very representative photos. Any comments, suggestions, questions? Is this a haze that will not respond to acetone treatment?
There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
–John Adams, 1826

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice toning. I would leave it alone to avoid messing that up. Acetone is about the boldest thing I'd have tried.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice toning. I would leave it alone to avoid messing that up. Acetone is about the boldest thing I'd have tried. >>

You could also try a product called MS70 but you might lose some of the color.

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    It looks good as is. I agree with the posts above. Don't lose any of that color.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Acetone doesn't remove toning. What you have on the coin is a hazy-appearing type of toning. Acetone is great for removing organic residue, and PVC.

You can use MS70 to remove the toning, and it will leave the coin brand-spanking new looking. However, I'd prefer personally to leave the coin with the toning on it.

And there's no need to rinse the coin in water after using acetone; acetone dries off within a second, leaving no residue behind.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I have never treated any of my coins, not out of some moral outrage, but out of sheer fear of destroying what I have.
    Is an acetone bath considered 'dipping' or is that more of a silver restorant?

I'm kinda dumb concerning this subject. (And many others my gf tells me.)

Nick
  • Options
    Acetone is a solvent that removes organic materials including the awful PVC. There is usually no risk to almost all coins except for copper and copper alloyed coins as it seems that acetone gives some kind of odd toning.
    List of my partial coin list: My Coin List
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And there's no need to rinse the coin in water after using acetone; acetone dries off within a second, leaving no residue behind. >>

Pure acetone itself shouldn't leave a residue, but if it happens to have something dissolved in it (like an awful lot of gunk soaked off the coin, or oil it's sucked out of your fingers), when it dries suddenly it can re-deposit a thin film back onto the surface. That's why either a water-wash or a multiple series of acetone washes is recommended.

<< <i>Is an acetone bath considered 'dipping' or is that more of a silver restorant? >>

It's not dipping. "Dip" is acidic; Acetone is neutral, neither acidic nor caustic (like water). Unlike dipping, no chemical reaction is taking place. Think of it as dry-cleaning your coins.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    MS70 will get rid of the haze but also some of the toning. That is one of the problems with the coins in the little black boxes, one side (the up side) gets killer toning, the other (the down side) gets some toning, but is hazed. I have about 30 of them in the safe, not worth submitting because half the coin is just FUGLY!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    NICES TONES- LEAVE IT ALONEimage THAT RYHMES LOL (sorry lack of sleep)
    Ebay Seller I.D
    the_northern_trading_company
    ace@airadv.net
    imageimage
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I gave some old silver proofs with PVC residue an acetone bath over the weekend, and the acetone didn't remove any of the PVC. I had to use MS70 first, then bathe with acetone. Unfortunately, the coins lost some color. image
    Obscurum per obscurius