Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What are the tricks for photographing copper?

I think I have silver down, but I can't photograph copper with any success.

Here is a silver coin I shot this afternoon:

Here is a copper I tried to shoot:

The photo editing software I have does not allow for fine-tuning of color and contrast. There are two choices: as is or "auto."

What are the tricks for getting copper to turn out decently?
Obscurum per obscurius

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What are the tricks for photographing copper? >>

Mail it to Darkhorse or Cosmicdebris? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your silver shot looks okay. Maybe you need to upgrade your software.

My problem is less software than it is lack of camera and lighting skills, and lack of a photostand.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Your silver shot looks okay. Maybe you need to upgrade your software.

My problem is less software than it is lack of camera and lighting skills, and lack of a photostand. >>

I use a tripod and put the coins on top of my daughter's jewelry box by the window. The sun serves as my lighting.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem may be your background. I photograph non-silver pieces on a light beige background.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Does this closer to the correct color?

Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I have the exact opposite problem. I think my copper shots are ok; it's silver that I cannot shoot for crap.

It may be your lighting. I assume you're using macro mode on your camera?

The pics below are taken in macro mode (super macro actually) using a copy stand, with a single Ott Light in front of the coin shining directly down onto the coin. This seems to work regardless of whether the coin is flat with no reflectivity, or lustrous. This same setup does NOT work with silver.

I greatly prefer shooting coins outside of any holder. The way that I get clean sharp edges is to place the coin on a pane of clear glass or plexiglass that is raised above a white background. This way the background is out of focus, and the coin edges are sharp. Then it's simply a matter of using the "magic wand" tool in Photoshop to select the background and delete it to white, black, or any other color (that's how I did the images on the front page of www.tonedcopper.com I simply selected the background and deleted to the copper brown).

imageimage

imageimage
  • bonkroodbonkrood Posts: 796 ✭✭✭
    If I had a camera, I could take some nice coin pictures, if I had some coins. image
    image Steam Power
  • Lighting
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does this closer to the correct color? >>

Yes, it does. I'll get some lamps and give it another try on a lighter background. Either that or I'll have to get some software that allows me to change the color.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Just a couple swing arm lamps work. You can leave the coin in one position and vary the lighting position. Usually shoot copper with the light high over the coin and camera taking the reflection directly from the fields. Great for color(tone) and condition. Off to the side if true color is desired. I take at least 40 photos for everyone I use, so just take your time.
  • PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I take at least 40 photos for everyone I use, so just take your time. >>

image Hmmm...only 40? Looks like I have a long way to go image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lighting >>

Absolutely image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Lighting >>

Absolutely image >>

The background and/or proper white balance is also critical, IME.

An exceptional macro lens is also a must......tripods are not.

And, don't forget the angles of the lighting relative to the coin.