Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

japan mint

has anyone has experience submitting international orders direct to the japan mint (going to the US) ?

I was looking through the website and saw some nice coins, but actually was more interested in the Metallic Art Objects (cool paperweights, and possibly an electrotype plaque (Kinkakuji) though it's expensive for something that's not a coin image )... and maybe a proof set while a box is going from there to here image .. anyway, Downies does some coin sets (Hello Kitty!), but not the paperweights, etc...

LINC

Anyway, I was unfamiliar with thier US distribution channels so I figure this is my best option, anyone ever do this before?

Thanks!
HYPE

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, I've never tried going directly to the mint before. It's unfortunate you can only buy the 'metallic art objects' via the mint--otherwise it's the distributor (apparently only Downie's for the US) for the coins/commemeratives.

In any case, if you do go that route I would expect excellent service. If you needed to call them I'm sure there would be someone with excellent English-speaking abilities readily available.

I thought this was interesting: "

<< <i>The Japan Mint produces and sells exquisite metallic art products in order to maintain and improve the producing techniques >>

".

Cathy

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    that line caught me as well image

I might have to do it just for the experience. Ill do an update if that's the case, and maybe throw out some pictures.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What! No Hello Kitty?
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    The note I read from the site said that outside Japan one can only buy from dealers.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    I highly recommand you NOT to contact the Japanese mint in all ways - they have never been helpful and probably will never expect it to be.

Occassionally I have seen people in eBay selling such paperweights, but they pop out quite irregularly. And if desperate, you can bid in Yahoo! Japan auction but MOST sellers only ship locally, so that's another pain. You might use a service to help you bid in Yahoo! Japan auctions but the service and handling charge is a total pain.

One example of one such service: Link

Overall, that is a good reason why I avoid collecting such medals - it is even a pain to get hold of.
    List of my partial coin list: My Coin List
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>they have never been helpful and probably will never expect it to be >>

Wow...I would not have guessed that. When I was in Japan I found most places of business/people most helpful.

I've never seen the bidding service before either. Interesting, but I don't see myself using one. I don't think I can stand one more shopping venue to scroll through! I spend too much time with ebay etc as it is image.

<< <i>The note I read from the site said that outside Japan one can only buy from dealers. >>

I saw that too regarding the commemeratives and coin sets (okay, I admit it, I have an Astroboy set!) and Downies was the only one on the list with a US address. But under the "metallic art product" there were instructions on ordering directly from the mint.

You know, this is interesting, if you do order, I'd love to hear how it goes! Even if it's not a coin you buy image

Cathy

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    thanks for your experience GX, my antennae went up when I read the steps of the procedure for international orders,
    call up, then get this, then call back up, then we send you this, then you send that back, then when we allocation, blah blah.

it just seemed kinda convoluted, anyway, I might give this a try, but we'll see. Id have the sell a coin to get the electrotype, but it would look outstanding on the mantle I think...
    or maybe Ill try a test run with something less expensive Ill update with any experience I have !