Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT: Personal Websites

Is anyone familiar with the Geocities websites? If I were to set up a website for my coin photos, is it really free? Or should I just rely upon the CU server?
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options

I found that free hosting was usually very limited. I ended up getting my site hosted through Yahoo, but had to use their small business program or else I could only make template pages - and not very many of those.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    I use www.putfile.com and have had 0 problems with them.

and it's free image
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    I use Geocities for my personal (not coin related) website and have no complaints.

The problem is that they don't allow "hot linking", that is, to show an image on a webpage not hosted by they. So if you want to share your images with other members inserting them on your topics, it won't work.

If you want that (hot linking images), I can recommend ImageShack or Photobucket
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geocities picture hosting sucks sweaty donkey testicles. What good are photos you can't share?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Geocities picture hosting sucks sweaty donkey testicles. What good are photos you can't share? >>

Tell us how you really feel, Rob image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Most ISPs will provide you with space to host a personal website. I use Comcast as my ISP, they give me 20Mb per email address and 7 email addresses. Fills up pretty quick if you are hosting a bunch of pics but it works for my purposes.
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I use my ISP to host my images.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, all. The information has been very useful. As far as using my own ISP, Prodigy is part of the Yahoo! family, and they use Geocities. I think, for an additional fee, other alternatives are available. I think I will have to stick with CU, though I will take a look at the other suggestions.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    Geocities give you 500mb of space, 25,000mb of bandwidth and site stats including referrers, page views and keywords for $8 a month and you can hotlink, been pretty good value to me.

Edited to add:

Upgrading to my own domain name and 5 email addies , 2gig space and 500gig bandwidth for $12 a month soon.
  • Options
    You know, if picture size is not a requirement, you can always upload your coin pictures at here: Omnicoin.com

That is where I upload my pictures there and quite a few members here seem to be doing it too image
    List of my partial coin list: My Coin List