Home Metal Detecting
Options

Another dangerous find? Plus a cleaning question.

Went out for about two hours yesterday. Still trying to find older land to dig on but my city is not that old. Didn't find anything but a bunch of clad and this interesting object. I am wondering... is this what it appears to be? Also, I found the green nickel on the right and was wondering what the best method would be to clean it? The obverse is kind of concreted a bit as well. It will probably only end up being a couple years old, but I've just got to know.

Editted to fix image link
Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector

Comments

• Options
    Hey Joe,

Someone will come along and tell you the best way to get that coin cleaned up. As far as the pin goes, I don't think it's a hand grenade pin--I would think the pin part would be a little bit thinner than that one is. Recalling from my childhood, these type of pins were used around farm equipment--attaching plows and such to the tractor themselves. Don't know if that is actually what it is, but that is what it looks like to me.

Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    i think that speer34 is right. it is to big to be a gernade pin. but i think it is an old farming pin. i lived on a farm and used a metal detector a few years ago and found several dozen pins like that.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont see any picture.So I will give a guess going by the comments.
    Carter pin?
  • Options
    try a pencil eraser on the coin.

surely your area must have an older part of town. have you tried locating older maps at your local library? maybe go to USGS website or library of congress
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooh. It's been a good month for green nickels. image

Can you tell the type?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Nickel turned out to be a 1994-D Woohoo!

Fate has indeed been teasing me with the possibilities of wheats and silver. I've found a 1962 cent, almost a wheatie... and old enough to be silver had it been another denomination! I have also found TWO 1965 Roosies now...

so.... close.....
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    Joe that is not a grenade pin,it is a carter pin.If it had been a grenade pin,I wouldn't been worried about that but what it had been attached tooimageHH,Tom
  • Options
    The pin looks like a hood hold down pin.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    I was gonna say or a pin for a tractor hitch on my backhoe.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    That is a lynch pin commonly found on all types of construction equipment, tractors, lawn mowers, etc.