Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

So I think this PSA 9 Ernie Banks auction is a scam...

but I can't prove it. Looks like it's being shilled by two ID's too, but that's a different story. Anyway, I asked the seller for a better scan of the front and a scan of the back, but he gave me the old "it's in a safety deposit box" line. Doesn't matter that there's more than eight days left and he'd have to get the card out in order to ship it anway, but alas, I digress.

Let's Play Two
"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice card!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I dont know you may be right, But it looks legit to me. This guy knows a lot of "key" words and has purchased some high end stuff in the past;some fairly recent. Evidently he has sold or tried to sell at auction or on consignment because he knows the premium. Plus, the last card he bought (55 Bowman Mantle) he laid out over $1500 for. What makes you think the item is a scam ??

You may be right about the shiller though..............

• Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Looks legitimate to me too. Look through his recent transactions in his feedback. Several deals involving $5-10K cards with him as buyer and seller. I don't see anything that really indicates shilling... if it is, it's pointless because the auction is only at $6600 and it should sell for much more than that.
  • Options
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    My main concern is why a seller would post such a terrible scan (that's cut off at the top no less) and refuse to send a scan of the back of the card on such a high $$$ item.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    It looks legit. He sold $5,500 worth of Cubs season tickets recently.

Looks more legit than nedsk or some guy in Italy with a stolen Superior scan.
  • Options

He has been trying to sell that card for quite awhile. If I remember correctly he started at about 20K BIN and a starting bid of 19K; he didn't get a nibble. He then tried a few more times lowering both numbers by $1000 each time until he hit like 15K for BIN. I guess he gave up that way of selling and is now going to let it go for whatever the auction Gods let it.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough call as far as whether it's a definite scam or not...the picture sure has a stolen scan look about it. But why not go the the bank, take it out of the box, bring it home and scan it so you can e-mail someone a picture of the back? For a card of this value it makes no sense at all not to do this - that is worrisome to me.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Memorylane jumped in with a top bid today. I hope they ask the right questions.
  • Options
    I would be very wary of the bidder "gravits2004"...
  • Options
    Is the card in the holder really a 9? Just doesn't seem like it's well centered T/B enough to warrant a 9.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    yes, the Gravits 2004 bidder is very suspicious in my opinion. Looks like he bought a trailer hitch for his car or something last auction he won and then nothing for a looong time.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is the card in the holder really a 9? Just doesn't seem like it's well centered T/B enough to warrant a 9. >>

Cardfan
    Ya gotta keep in mind this is a 54T and it's the oddest card T/B that Topps ever made.

There really isn't much border on the top - just look at the bottom border with respect to the sides and you will see it's close to the same width - this card is "almost" centered T/B and is centered nice R/L.

I've got the Monday Blues!!!
    Anyone else?
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Anyone else?
    mike >>

Yes sir, so do I. I was wondering what was wrong with me. I think I will go eat nowimage

matt
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is the card in the holder really a 9? Just doesn't seem like it's well centered T/B enough to warrant a 9. >>

Cardfan
    Ya gotta keep in mind this is a 54T and it's the oddest card T/B that Topps ever made.

There really isn't much border on the top - just look at the bottom border with respect to the sides and you will see it's close to the same width - this card is "almost" centered T/B and is centered nice R/L.

Anyone else?
    mike >>

Looks 20/80 t/b to me and should not even qualify for an 8 much less a 9. JMO.
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    I think a lot of the 54's dont even have a top border, tose that do are very slim.

• Options
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    54s there is no top white border as in other years. The best way to tell centering is look at the bottom and side to side borders for width differnces. The Banks cards looks very decent though the bottom border appear slightly bigger than the side to side one.

Stingray
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Puddin Head Jones says bid high, bid often.

And yeah, centering on the Banks rookie is a real puzzle. They key is the borders - pay attention to the left and right borders, see if the bottom border is roughly the same, and ignore everything else, including his derriere which is precariously close to falling off the card. I believe there is a similar card in 55 Topps where the Pirates logo is almost on the edge of the card if everything else is perfectly centered.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I knew I'd seen this card somewhere before...

Banks 9

Looks like the same scan to me. Not to say the seller didn't have the card, but...
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Well if you add the 15% buyers premium to the 04' sale that comes to $9,588. So if this was a legit deal the owner took about a $500 loss.
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    The $8338 included the BP, so if it's legit he made about $500-700