Home Metal Detecting
Options

Denmark hunt II+III (the story continues)

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Still in Denmark, which has ”enjoyed” some crisp winter weather over the last two weeks.
Last weekend was out of the question for MD’ing due to massive snowfall, but I thought I’d have a shot today

Temperatures have been steadily below the freezing point, and there’s plenty of snow, so I figured my best shot at digging would be where salt-water (correct spelling censored) meets sand…

I wanted to get older stuff this time (my first hunt yielded over $46 worth of coins, but none older than 10 yrs..). I located a fairly old fort near the coast at a point where the shoreline looked promising – and there was a beach nearby too.

So… imageA Huntin’ We Will Go!!imageimageimage

imageA Huntin’....image (*gulp*) ...we will go… ( I think…ugghhh….)

A really nice winter day. Here is a shot along the side of the fort

And some pics of the fort itself..

Now then… the shoreline… Ha! Just like I expected! image

The fort was located very close by..

As I was unpacking my stuff, an older gentleman asked what I was hoping to find. “Coins”, I replied, upon which he went image and then went on with “there aren't any coins here”.
Very well Sir… we shall see… image

First target out of the ground was a coin. I couldn’t identify it immediately but saw that it wasn’t of the types currently used. A good sign.

Second target: trash

No wait, there’s still something in the same hole as the trash target.
This one was out in the water (damn it was cold! - it took my hands quite some time to become fully functional again after I got back..).
After some poking in the muddy underwater hole…. A long overdue gold ring! image
I’ll probably never get bored with seeing these plop out of the ground. The shine of gold just hits you between the eyes when you least expect it…

It's 14k.

Very relaxing..... (but cold)

Coins?
Yep, picked up a bunch of them too. Here’s a group shot.

The coins look terrible, but most of them actually have good details. I expect most of them to respond very well to electrolysis (the outer black layer should crumble right off.. many of them have tiny patches of shiny metal showing through here and there..)

Are they old? Well… they certainly are an improvement to last hunt..
I think I’ll leave you in a state of suspense until I’ve had a chance to clean them image

Thanks for looking!
Happy hunting!

-Z

**************** Update Jan 29 ***************

A new day. Activities:
1) Collect components for an electrolysis rig (a hunt in itself!)
2) Dig more stuff

1) To clean the finds from yesterday, I needed an electrolysis rig… Today being a Sunday this was quite a challenge as virtually everything is closed here on Sundays. Components collected as follows:

* Glass jar – purchased from a 7-11. I planned to eat all the contents, but got impatient to vacate the jar, so part got thrown away.. image
* Baking soda – purchased from 7-11 (a bit lucky there, wasn’t sure they would have it)
* Power supply – from the single open mobile phone store I managed to locate, at the central (train) station. Nail scissors used for cutting and stripping wires
* Stainless steel fork – held hostage from room service delivery the previous night
* Stainless steel clip (for holding the coin) – ripped from pen

--> All ready to go!! image

2) As there’s still plenty of snow, I didn’t have too many detecting options… I went to the same place as yesterday.

Once I got there, I noticed an extremely low tide – a broad strip was now detectable that was underwater yesterday!! I was cursing myself for being out quite late, it would get dark in less than 2 hours..
There were plenty of signals everywhere, and virtually everything was a good target. I wish I’d had more time, as target recovery was slowed by the extremely compact mud. I often had to spend considerable time breaking up a lump of it that was concealing the target.. It was so fun to hunt with virtually no trash that I completely forgot that the water was supposed to be cold… image

Here’s what I got image

Unfortunately, I think all (or at least nearly all) the coins are from the 1900’s. There’s plenty of 1920’s / 1930’s coins though. There are a couple that might be older, but they will take quite some cleaning to become identifiable.. Overall the coins are in very poor condition image

This ring looks interesting

I got a number of these. All expect this one are more or less mutilated though.. I assume they’re made of lead (they’re very heavy)

Not sure what this one is..

A few coins too. I was boasting in yesterday’s post that the coins have good details…
Note to self: Never say that about stuff found in salt-water until you’ve seen it for what it really is… In fact all the coins are more or less destroyed image

Here are two slightly better examples (I'll report back if something more interesting emerges from later cleaning...)

25 Öre 1924 – found today. Also got a 1926 which is reasonably nice as well

5 Kroner 1960 – a massive coin! 1960 was the first year of this particular type.
This is one of the two large coins in yesterday’s post.

Happy hunting!

-Z
Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    Zot,

Nice pics and a great story. Now go get those coins cleaned up a bit so we can see the details.

Congrats on your very cold day out. I thought I was crazy when I went out the other morning temps around 1C, dirt still frozen and a slight breeze blowing. You are a dedicated detectorist!!!!!!

Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aaargh- you tease! image

(Know what you mean about the censor. It doesn't like "salt" and "water" together as a single word, any more than it does "pocket" and "watch".)

Brrr! That sure looks chilly! Pretty, though. Keep 'em comin', and congrats on getting "golded"!

You'd better get those coins cleaned soon, or else!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Look at this picture of my detecting potégé, Chris, when he got his first Wheat cent the other day.

See what he's wearing? A short-sleeved T-shirt. Heh. Nyah nyah. image

It was probably around 72°F.

You'll be able to taunt us come summer, though- when it's a million degrees Fahrenheit here, with a gazillion percent humidity, and the skeeters and gnats and flies are out. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    What's that on the far right? Looks like a fishing sinker to me.

Nice finds though.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options

<< <i>What's that on the far right? Looks like a fishing sinker to me. >>

That is correct. image
  • Options

<< <i>A short-sleeved T-shirt. Heh. Nyah nyah. image >>

• Options
    Great story Zot!

Nothing like a little gold to warm you up on a cold winter's day!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Way to go Zot you know I've been rooting for you to get that next gold
    ring image

I think we need to get a separate award for European jewelry imageimage
    No? OK. How about we just trade off on the gold rings. Sooo, now it's my
    turn, right? image Looking forward to your next good find... HH out there.

By the way, I think I need to go have some hot cider after looking at
    these pics... brrrrr!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I've been rooting for you to get that next gold >>

Indeed. Thank you! I was actually thinking about that when I found it image

<< <i>Sooo, now it's my turn, right? >>

Hum! If memory serves, you'be been pulling them out the ground by the dozen since I found my previous one, including several beautiful ones with stones!!!
    So.... I think we need to revise that profit sharing scheme you're proposing! imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I think we need to get a separate award for European jewelry >>

Quit it! You're killin me! imageimage
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    <<Hum! If memory serves, you'be been pulling them out the ground by the dozen since I found my previous one, including several beautiful ones with stones!!! >>

OK Erik, but...
    Hmmm... dozens would be nice but I think they're just as rare to be found in my pouch!
    How about this- since I've found 2 this year, I could stop digging pull-tab signals until
    you get gold ring #2 for 2006. Sound good? imageimage

<<Quit it! You're killin me! >>

I thought you'd like that John imageimageimage
  • Options
    Eric, by the way, do the markings in the ring signify that it's older? Any clues
    to how old?

Hope you find a bunch more this year! I got a feeling you will be...
  • Options

<< <i>do the markings in the ring signify that it's older? Any clues to how old? >>

2004. image
  • Options
    update in first post
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Dang Zot, I wish beach strips around here were that trash free. Nice haul and storyimage
  • Options
    Who'd've thought there'd be wild Indians stalking the beaches of Denmark?

• Options
    BTW, those old lead soldiers (and Indians, etc) can be worth some $$$ here in the States. I dunno about dug examples, but they're avidly collected. I have some WW1 doughboys I dug up. I consider them nice finds, and if they are complete enough to stand up on their own, with no missing appendages, I consider them great finds.

• Options
    Congrat's on the gold Zot!!I really like those lead soldier's,those are real cool find's.HH,Tom
  • Options
    Great story, pics, and finds!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage